Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Results for Autocross at HRP Sept 21

Old 09-22-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my crown was short lived as I watched the other S2000's drivers best my times.

This month, it was "Curry's House". He bested my final time by almost a full second (53 vs. 52) and the improvement he made with his driving technique was easily noticed by many. Stephen used a very effective technique by controlling his speed, and minimizing a lot of jerky movements throughout the course making him look "butta smooth". This month's course was layed out in a very fast fashion to give the big power cars a distinct advantage. So I say to Mr. McCurry...

You the man!

As for me, I had nothing but problems. I DNF'd the first run after 100feet missing the first triangle and that got me swearing down the back stretch of the track for the length of the course for doing something so stupid.

The course was stretched out and the stock gearing didn't help much as I desperately tried to find a combination that worked. I learned quickly that I couldn't run the majority of the course in 1st gear like usual as I bounced off the limiter ridiculously. Then I tried using 2nd gear more on the next run but I was out of VTEC by 1500 rpms and getting there felt like an eternity. The third run had me shifting between 1st and 2nd and I knew this was costing me precious time. ~56 seconds was the resulting times for runs 2 and 3. So what did I eventually figure out?

The mid section of the course was slow, designed to rob speed from the car but the problem was to figure out how to carry speed through. Although I was already driving slow through that area, I decided to take off more speed (which made me cringe) and focus on a line that I could use maximum power for a higher exit speed. This gamble worked, as I jumped for joy when I shaved 3 seconds to make a very low 53 second run... that is until I found out Steve's times.

Oddly enough, because how Steve's car and my car are "equipped" differently, the difference in the approach to driving the course was like night and day. We switched cars during fun runs and discovered each car's strengths and weaknesses for this month's course. I think Steve got a taste of some of the problems I encountered today.

Barry (bdrift) was out driving his new STI in B-Stock class which had me scratching my head since it normally runs in A-Stock. He made sure I had no chance to repeat this time for our class with a 52 second run (for the record, it is documented that he ran a bit over 52 seconds, but I swear he ran into the 51 second range). There's a question for now regarding what class the STI really runs. I sincerely hope that the SCCA declare that he runs in AS. (for obvious reasons, that'll move me up into 1st place if it does, hehe) For what it's worth, even if he is classified to run in AS, he'd still be in 1st place.

Now for Joey. He came out with his new 4.44 gearing which he said was just broken in and he was eager to try driving in VTEC. His radical driving style was fun to watch. As usual, he was pounding through the cones with a lot of hate for the orange hats. He hated seeing them so much, he went a little too hot into the chicane and entertained the crowd with an awesome spin. With great fashion, he spun a show-worthy 180 and finished his run. I can't recall what his times were... possibly ~54 second range I think.

Okay, I left the unbelievable for last. Joey's friend Mike Friedman (forgive me if I mispelled his name) who normally comes driving a 240SX decided to drive Mr. Riveira's car for the final heat. To make a long story short, he came out placing 2nd in Overall Time (not PAX time) finishing with an astonishing 50 second run, right behind Hawaii's SCCA Solo-2 Ace and President, Curtis Lee in his infamous Datsun 240Z. I could be wrong, but I don't think he hit anything on that run (to be confirmed later).
Old 09-22-2003, 04:17 AM

What a fun day. It sure is more fun when you win
Of course, I didn't win if Mike got in the 50's cleanly, but I think I saw him hit 3 cones.
I'm glad Colin didn't come out
just kidding

Actually, the best part of the day was when Andy Barnes walked over and said "Good job today. You killed my times!". Which was graceful of him since it wasn't true. I thought I saw his best time at mid-53'ish

Jimmy: Thanks for letting me run your car in the fun runs. It really gave me a good perspective on the difference between my mods and yours. My car clearly had more grunt, but the incredible grip that your Victoracers provided was confidence inspiring and you could carry much more speed through the turns. You're absolutely right about the gearing too. This course was suited to the 4.44's as I was mainly in the meat of the powerband in 2nd gear for most of the track. I kept having to downshift to 1st in the same sections with your car which was hurting the times.

I can't wait to go to the next event. Hopefully there will be race rubber on it next time (colin, hint hint

) and perhaps some camber dialed in.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:19 PM

hey jimmy. curtis said he had to get more info about the Bstock class, so he moved me to AS. you are #1. no matter what he finds, i will stay in AS as i now have points in it and need 6 races to enter the runoffs. my mini cooper time was 52.449 in GS, but he couldn't post it officially as it was a second car.

FYI: tim who was helping with the record keeping said i had a 51.xxx too, but i got a tough sheez response since the paper is the final word. oh well.

yeah, joey's car looked good and curry's car sounded sweet. i wanna see colin in a race prepped car like joey's.

results are up at
http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/~panos/9-21-03.pdf

see you guys next month. b
Old 09-22-2003, 03:20 PM

Whoa, what a lucky break for me. Although it turns out for the better for me, this time it feels like I didn't deserve it. I had a bunch of problems and drove completely out of my norm and thus had a hard time focusing on what I need to capitalize on.

I also noticed that an Evo ran in AS and bested your "documented" time, not the time I heard from the scoring table. I'm pretty sure that you ran a 51 something on one of your runs because...

1. I was watching you drive that STI like it was an FR car, back end swinging out and tires slipping. I'm used to seeing Tim Mehlhorn drive and as well as he drives, he doesn't drive like you.

2. I noticed the line you took with the amount of speed you took it with and I knew the times had to be pretty darn good. That's when I heard 51 something seconds and I recall hearing that made me go

They really need to get a better grip with recording accurate times... I wonder if they mistaked your times with someone elses.

BTW Barry, your runs were very impressive to watch. You tackled the course with far more aggression than any of the Subaru drivers. You gotta let me ride shotgun one day during fun runs.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:33 PM

sure. anytime you want a ride, although i will be driving the mini during the fun runs as i will only drive the sti for times.

yeah, the evo was nice. i think it was legit times. a subaru guy was driving it as the evo owner watched.

thanks for your support, but i gotta let it go now.

peace b
Old 09-22-2003, 10:53 PM

Well, the results are up and I didn't win by a long shot. For whatever reason, Mike was classed in EM even though Joey driving the same car was ASP
Lucky me

Mike was 2nd overall, but a full 3 seconds separates 1st from 2nd. It's going to be a real challenge to take that crown away from Curtis. What will it take...
Old 09-23-2003, 03:08 AM

Yeah, I was completely surprised at Mike Friedman's times... that run was sick! I can't recall ever seeing an S2000 hit the 50's for any course layout since I started with my S. Perhaps Colin did when he was more active.

Joey's car has a very good setup for autocross since his car seems to be a hybrid of your car and mine... power mods, tires + the bonus of suspension and brakes, something we both lack.

You came in 1st in ASP, with 7th best time overall, and 18 in PAX!!! That's got to be worth a few cookies and gallons of milk. You earned that 1st place standing and considering that tire grip and suspension counts a lot more than a few power mods, you did absolutely great.

I don't know what it takes to beat someone like Curtis. First of all, he has a lot of experience driving and his level of knowledge surpasses all of us and I'm almost sure that he implements every technique in the book to shave a few hairs here and there. Left foot braking, weight shifting, hard throttle driving, planned driving lines, minimal mistakes, etc... just to name a few. I'll bet if there was a technique that Curtis could use to shave off .001 seconds off his times, he'd use it. His car is setup for racing with autocross alignments being used, something I wouldn't normally do since my car is driven daily.

Barry Lai is another good driver, so is Jay Von Brimer, Jenny Lee, Russ Yamaguchi, Gene/Ken Van Orman, and much more. I can't target Curtis when there's about 30 other drivers that whoop my butt all the time.

Oddly enough, my target seemed to have shifted from a black M3 to a black "F20C".
Old 09-23-2003, 07:08 PM

Great job everyone! I wish I was there, but we had so much to do over the weekend! In the past, I've come close to Curtis, real close! See here

But this was largely because of the size of the track, it really suited our car. During the 4-5 times we raced at that location, I managed to run near the top of the field. Love those small courses!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:05 PM

Wow Colin! That was very close! At least you Pax'd higher than Curtis. I'll bet you could've beat him with Joey's car on that course.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X
Oddly enough, my target seemed to have shifted from a black M3 to a black "F20C".

Quick Reply: Results for Autocross at HRP Sept 21