Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Recon troubles

Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

itll be easier to see the cars and talk about it in person. we can have a small meet and talk about it. ive gotten recon for my last three cars so im pretty familiar with it. im planning to get it for my current vehicle when my wheels arrive.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^we having a meet right now
Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was able to pass recon, with tein flex. i, too have had experience wit recon as my s and my si r reconned. for some reason, when i went for my s, the inspector didnt check my bounce, although he did look closely at my tires (i think he was looking for camber wear and the tread of the tires). also i went with my s (wit flex) at about stock height, and then after i passed i lowered it.

some tips that i can offer....
- make sure ur car is somewhat clean looking, that will lower suspicion of illegal parts.
- be honest when you list all your parts on the recon list
- make sure you have your front license plates
- if you have that safety check relocation plate, make sure it is close to the exhaust (on the right side)
- the front i believe needs 18" from headlight and the rear is 22" fron tail light.. (i think)
- and it may just depend on which inspector you get.. some r more anal than others.
- to my knowledge rims and exhaust r indeed no longer recon items but so long as they are still not too extravagant. ( i passed with my dual invidias...) just dont be soo punchy when ur rolling in haha

thats about all i can contribute i think lol hope it helped
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 AM

or we could even talk to other non s2k owners whose vehicles will not pass recon in their stock form...honestly think about it, if a vehicle will not pass coming straight from factory with no modifications then why would they even allow that vehicle to be registered? if you can register the s2000 in its stock form then you should be able to do whatever you want to it modification wise because in the end no matter is modded it will still not pass a recon test...the only reason that i can come up with us being harrassed and failed because of recon is because there are slammed cars out there, cambered to the Nth degree, overdone hella flush and the c&c doesnt like it...its the same aspect as california is with their CARB and EPA boards when you get your yearly smog check...its just another way for city, state, county jurisdictions to put a roadblock infront of our dreams...and okay yea maybe i may be wrong about that all and im just formulating an opinion based on past experiences but lets just say hypothetically that there is an actual safety reason behind having recon...how many vehicle related injuries and deaths does the state of hawaii have every year? how many of those injuries and/or deaths are related to the vehicle not having the vehicle registered, safety inspected, insured or recon'd if needed?...this is the complete opposite of what a large group of riders attempted in south carolina a few years back...how many deaths from motorcycle crashes/head injuries is it going to take for the state to impose mandatory helmet laws?...the courts answer was it is their choice to wear the helmet or not, if they want to put their lives at risk then why should the state feel sorry or have pity for those individuals...and that was that...i do understand that i am ranting and rambling but what we need/should do is research the whole recon issue from the history, why it was enabled, exactly what it entails, the procedures, limitations, drawbacks, the loopholes, etc...i will try to do as much as i can from over here while you guys do your part back home
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM

1. find someone with a stock S2000

2. get a letter from a Honda dealership certifying that this car is completely stock

3. go to recon and fail

4. write a letter to DOT asking for an exemption from recon for the S2000

spring rates differ from generation to generation, so I'd be curious to see if an exemption would apply to all models or just the generation that failed recon.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Recon sucks! This coming from someone out of state now.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

good stuff everyone

a stock nsx (and other sports cars / exotics) will not pass the infamous bounce test and headlight/license plate criteria.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM

and yet we see audi r8's, lambo gallardo's, ferrari's rolling down the street with no hassle from the police...its either the fact they can afford to pay these fines or they get looked over because of the media and society portraying the honda/import scene as a bunch of reckless kids with nothing better to do than to street race on public roadways
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM

money has little to do with it i assume. you can't pay your way out of a hold on the registration, for no recon. i i have yet to see a f430, r8, gallardo, etc., with a recon sticker. so we know they're not paying off the recon office.

i think Elayne's idea is best. place the burden of justifying the recon rules on the state DOT. or at least try

when we bought my dad's corvette, the dealer (Servco) said we really didn't need a front plate, and to just tell the police that there's no place to mount it. lol
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM

what i am deducing from the whole recon thing is that when we go to reg our cars and the safety inspection sites pass us without having to get a recon they either dont care or deem it necessary that we dont "need" a recon...what it seems like it is coming down to is hpd "assuming" that we need to get a recon based on looks alone which is about as unbiased as a blind attorney in a murder trial...do all hpd receive proper training yearly, bi annually, quarterly or whatever on the proper procedures and guidelines behind deeming a vehicle in need of having recon? do all the safety inspection sites receive this same training...one would assume that recon regulations and training is a state run and funded system...is "our" fault that when we go to get safety inspections done every year, they do not inform us of recon? it shouldnt be left on our shoulders to pay the price for it...should we mention that our vehicles are modded in some way, shape or form everytime we go in for safety based off of integrity?...if we know all the ins and outs behind recon and know for a fact that our cars will fail no matter what then no...there should be a standardized list of all vehicles that will not pass recon in stock factory form somewhere out there...im with elayne on this one too as well...i know for a fact that there is an owner out there with an unmodified s2000 and im sure that the honda dealership can perform these tests, request a recon and fail and we write the state dot explaining why we should be exempt...also, this could backfire in our faces by putting our vehicles on an instant fail list for all safety inspection sites thus putting a hold on our registrations and safety checks until we pass recon from which i heard is a long wait...and a lot of us only have our s2k as a daily driver and thus would put a hamper on not only our lifestyles but our careers as well...or our pocketbooks and driving record for us driving with no registration, safety and recon

Quick Reply: Recon troubles