Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Is Recon really worth it?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Recon really worth it?

I got a ticket in downtown yesterday for no front plate. When speaking to the cop, he told me that he should have given me a ticket for my front lip, rims & tires, suspension but opted not to and only gave me a ticket for the no front plate thing. He also told me that I needed to get Recon. Any thoughts? Is it worth it? I heard they still give tickets even if you have Recon. Also, are the problem areas just downtown and Waikiki?

The sh*tty thing is that I was parked on the street when it happened. From now on I'm going to park in a parking structure!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Of course it's worth getting RECON. $15 and 2 hours of your time (commute included). The problem is I have yet to see anyone with RECON, save for one person. But they never did the suspension test on his car. So it's probably a fluke.

I think you lucked out with the ticket for missing a front plate only. Drop the attitude, get a RECON if you can. But stop bitching. I have friends/family that are cops and I sure don't appreciate you calling them "pigs".
Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

always run your front plate. its the most lame ticket to get.

i rather get a no recon vs a no front plate.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM

1000K...Let me clarify. I have friends that are cops and sheriffs as well. I actually have friends who have lost their lives while on duty. To me their are two different types of cops... the one's that harass you and the one's who protect. Cops are the ones who protect. Pigs are the ones who harass you and feel that because they carry a badge they can treat you however they like. Basically badge-heavy cops who like to bully people around. If I offended you, I apologize. Hope that clears up that issue.

Now back to the topic... if recon is worth it, how do i go about getting it?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Cops are people, dude. You can catch them on their good days and their bad days. IMO, your encounter with that cop did not warrant the "pig" comment. Front plates by law are required. And he cited you for it. And if he really wanted to be a pig, he could have cited you for far more. So, I would think you lucked out. Just my IMO.

http://www.postjunky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7983

Probably the best info and the spouse of one of the inspectors frequent this site and she's very helpful.

Your suspension may give you some problems. You see, the stock S is pretty stiff. The inspectors are gonna push down on your suspension to determine if there's any "safe" travel...perhaps an inch or more, who knows? It's just not very formal.

If you try to do this, comeback and provide some insight. Who's the inspector? Did he perform the suspension "test", etc. I'd like to lower my car, but I won't do it without RECON and I'm pretty sure the S will not past RECON after it's lowered.

Good luck. (shooot, go for it, I'll reimburse you the $15 dollars if it doesn't pass)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 PM

1000K...your right. Looking back, I guess the pig comment was a bit harsh. Comment retracted! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM

I have recon on two cars, pretty easy depending on what you have done to your car. When I did my S, it was quick, granted my car does not look like half of the civics and integras you see. The only way I see it possible for you to get a ticket after recon, is if you mod your car after you get your sticker. The recon is only good for what is on the paper at the time of your recon inspection, if you add something and you want it to be legal you have to go to recon again... I think appointments are about 1 mounth out so call soon if you are going to do it.

I have never had a problem but I got it just in case, I don't like being in the eye of the law. The less attention you attract, the better off you will be.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

I didnt know there was such a thing as good days for porkchops.... Recon is a waste of time. I have owned my share of fixed up cars like many others and not once have I ever had to get recon.. (its all about money for the state thats all it is)
That coper was just bs-ing you about how he should give you tickets for la la and la.... All I can say is take PICTURES if you ever get a ticket for somthing (evidence is always good in your favor, especially when those damn huras lie about it)... It has always been guilty until proven other wise.... pinche huras.....
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reguardless of you having recon, you will still get a no front plate ticket if you dont have it on which is obvious but i say just pay the recon ticket if you get one. whats the big deal? its not like its $300 or something. IMO not worth recon either. i went to get recon with my friend once, was alot of BS
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember, if you get a no recon ticket, it's about $96 I think. If you get recon, but later mod it or dont' keep your papers updated or take your plate off again, you will get a fraudulent recon ticket, which is around $260.

Here's a run down of the basic requirements:

Quick Reply: Is Recon really worth it?