Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Reckless Driving Citation

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reckless Driving Citation

I got hit with a reckless driving ticket last night going home... how do i get out of it? please help me out..my friend was telling me that if i lose my court case I could get tagged with an sr-22

odds are it'll be dismissed according to a few people because I've never had a traffic violation before, aside from a "no front license plate."

and the circumstances that the cop issued my citation were really vague too..my ticket reads the wrong intersection that the infraction took place in...and he hit me with reckless driving w/o speeding.
I do admit tho that what i did was a bit reckless, but at the time, there was a bicyclist on the middle of the road going AGAINST the flow of traffic..was at 1:15am this morning and he was wearing all black. it wasnt until i was approaching maybe 20ft that i realized there was a bicyclist there..in which time i had to veer into my immediate left lane to avoid a collision..

after avoiding it, my turn i needed to take was coming up immediately so i went back into the right lane and took the turn. the cop saw me take the turn rather quickly and pulled me over..
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

sorry to hear dave. i've never dealt with this before but just be honest and tell the judge what happened.
take pictures of where it happened and where you almost hit the pedestrian to illustrate what happened. gl!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 AM

When I got one I had to get a public defender (couldn't afford a real lawyer at the time) and ha mine dropped to unsafe lane change no blinker. The other one got dismissed because the cop claimed I was burning out ...but I claimed it was raining and there was no way I could have created the smoke he claimed an had the news report for that day showing the rain although I was under the free way in front of Kahala mall and it was the first day I picked up my 400whp civic .. muahaha

Gl!
If you get a real lawyer they'll get it thrown out most likely no lawyer and it'll be hard
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SAme as felipe. Justbe honest. Just explain the situation. If u can get a defender or lawyer, that would help.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Sry to hear dave.
Reckless Driving can result in Maximum
$1000 Fine or Imprisonment for 30 Days or both

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur..._0291-0002.HTM
Heres some info on the HRS if you need some clarification.

Alen Kaneshiro is a Defense Attorney that explained to me all about the violation and can hopefully explain to you what can happen to you.
Well worth the money spent when he represented me in my Exhibition of Speed case last year.

Call him up for advice definitely

(808)391-5085
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by s2ksi8
SAme as felipe. Justbe honest. Just explain the situation. If u can get a defender or lawyer, that would help.
Its true Mike that honesty is the best policy but keep in mind that
"anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law"

5th Amendment can be your best friend and have your attorney do all the speaking for you
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

just be prepared to pay as lawyers are not cheap. but keeping you out of jail is priceless.
i've had family in trouble with the law in CA and his lawyer fees were brutal. gl!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by bouford
sorry to hear dave. i've never dealt with this before but just be honest and tell the judge what happened.
take pictures of where it happened and where you almost hit the pedestrian to illustrate what happened. gl!
I've printed out google maps of the places of the actual infraction and the intersection that the officer claims it took place at. both were two different places.

Originally Posted by jonmizu
When I got one I had to get a public defender (couldn't afford a real lawyer at the time) and ha mine dropped to unsafe lane change no blinker. The other one got dismissed because the cop claimed I was burning out ...but I claimed it was raining and there was no way I could have created the smoke he claimed an had the news report for that day showing the rain although I was under the free way in front of Kahala mall and it was the first day I picked up my 400whp civic .. muahaha

Gl!
If you get a real lawyer they'll get it thrown out most likely no lawyer and it'll be hard
See, thats why I dont really want to go with a public defender, they work for the state so all i've really been hearing about them is that they'll just make me plea for a lesser charge. not one person I know has asked for a public defender and has gotten all of the charges against him dropped, its always a plea for a lesser charge.

Originally Posted by Shabadedoo
Sry to hear dave.
Reckless Driving can result in Maximum
$1000 Fine or Imprisonment for 30 Days or both

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur..._0291-0002.HTM
Heres some info on the HRS if you need some clarification.

Alen Kaneshiro is a Defense Attorney that explained to me all about the violation and can hopefully explain to you what can happen to you.
Well worth the money spent when he represented me in my Exhibition of Speed case last year.

Call him up for advice definitely

(808)391-5085
How much did he cost you? I'm already really tight on cash right now but when i look at it, its probably best if i get a professional to handle this rather than a public defender.

And I've taken a look at all the laws governing my case already..so much reading but thankfully I'm somewhat used to it thanks to a few law courses i've taken. hopefully i can build a case around it and present it to the judge at the initial hearing. maybe he'll let me off. because according the HRS291-2, Whoever operates any vehicle or rides any animal recklessly in disregard of the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving of vehicle. I did make a reckless action but it was in response to the unsafe action that the bicyclist was doing at the time, which was riding in the middle of the street against traffic, wearing all black.

Under HRS291-2, it also states that I had to have displayed a reckless state of mind, which under section D states that my action had to have been made with a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a law abiding citizen would observe in the same situation. I dont want to say this to the judge, but anyone with a sports car would do the same especially late at night with no pedestrians on the road.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 AM

Brian costa is my lawyer. A bit pricey but he had dropped 3 excessive speeding 3 reckless and 3 racing for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM

how much did he run you?

Quick Reply: Reckless Driving Citation