Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

OOPS!.... I did it again

Old 10-11-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope we can make this work... Steve's our only hope of taking our resident auto-x champ down.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:37 PM

perhaps Dan would be interested in coming to Hawaii to help with rolling the fender?!? By the way, how is Noa?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 11 2004, 09:51 AM
If those guys say it'll fit then I guess it won't be a problem. I think that's toward the extreme end of the spectrum though. If you have the resources roll them to be on the safe side. It's quick and easy job. I've done over 30 s2000s with no problems using the fenderroller.
Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you roll your fender? I've never seen it done and don't know what the tool looks like.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.fenderroller.com not sure if he ships to Hawaii but if you get a few people together you can share the cost of the rental. If you get it while I am there in November, I'll do it for you, just need a heat gun. If he doesn't ship, I have one in my garage, I'd bring it with me but the sucker is heavy and travelling as light as possible with the baby.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Oct 11 2004, 10:37 AM
I hope we can make this work... Steve's our only hope of taking our resident auto-x champ down.
That's not true. Don't count yourself out.
I think Pat Olsen has the best shot at the moment.
If Jayson would set up his S2k for race and get out of the M3 (hint hint) that would be another s2k.
Last race, Mike Friedman drove my car and said he wants to get an s2k (though he's said this before). If he goes through with this and tunes it to his liking, I'm sure in time he could get Curtis too.
Time will tell.
Who knows, Curtis may retire before we catch him! (though that wouldn't be any fun)
Old 10-11-2004, 03:46 PM

... but, you're my hero.

Seriously, all the guys you've mentioned are all great candidates and sometimes it's hard to believe that none of them been able to dethrone Curtis. I'm almost certain that the dethroning will happen soon but it'd be nice if it could be one of us.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Oct 11 2004, 01:16 PM
If Jayson would set up his S2k for race and get out of the M3 (hint hint) that would be another s2k.
nah, gotta burn up the race tires on the M first...also, gotta burn up the tires on the s2k, as the mismatched set made me drift boy on fun runs...and i'll probably leave the car as is for now (dont quote me on that!) as i'll probably be racing the vette whenever it comes in... (do i need to compensate for something or what?!?)

as for the fender roller, doesnt tire rack loan out their unit for free??? IIRC, it was the haweka fender roller, and all you have to do is pay shipping both ways...no rental fee, just the shipping charges- oh, and a refundable deposit...i'll try and give them a call tomorrow...would be cool to get a group to chip in for the shipping charges and have a fender-rolling day...i also have access to a heat gun, so no worries there...
Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 PM

Im in for Fender rolling.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Oct 11 2004, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you roll your fender? I've never seen it done and don't know what the tool looks like.
If you don't have a fancy tool handy and aren't too worried about protecting one's paint , then you can go with the ghetto technique that I used on both my cars. I used a Dremel tool to cut slots in the fender lip every inch or two, then used a BFH to pound the lip up flat. It's not perfect, and I'm sure it's not as smooth and clean as using the fender roller tool, but it worked. I touched it all up with a rattle can to cover up the spots where the paint flaked off and voila! - rolled fender lips.

With that said, if I had had access to a fancy tool, I would have gladly paid $75 to use it.

I think Pat Olsen has the best shot at the moment.
I honestly don't think so. It's becoming harder and harder to stay ahead of the STi crowd, and none of them has optimized their setup yet really. Despite my boasting at the last event's drivers meeting, I'm not sure I'll stay on top of SM much longer, let alone catch Curtis.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 11 2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.fenderroller.com not sure if he ships to Hawaii but if you get a few people together you can share the cost of the rental. If you get it while I am there in November, I'll do it for you, just need a heat gun. If he doesn't ship, I have one in my garage, I'd bring it with me but the sucker is heavy and travelling as light as possible with the baby.
ahhhhh, I see. Thanks for the link.
Make sure to look us up while you're in town. Keep us posted on your travel date.
I wish I had known about the fender rolling before I turned it in to the shop for painting.
I'm sure there is a speed shop on the island that has this fender roller, seeing that it's only $495. I wonder what they charge you to do it?
Also, what happens to the plastic fender liner? does this conform to the rolled lip, or do you have to cut away at it?

Quick Reply: OOPS!.... I did it again