Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

New Autocross Classes

Old 10-12-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Autocross Classes

Just in case anyone's living in a shell.....

Honda S2000 (00-03) BS--->AS
Honda S2000 (All) ASP--->BSP

I guess this won't go into effect out here until after the run-offs?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by hawkdog,Oct 12 2004, 06:06 PM
Just in case anyone's living in a shell.....

Honda S2000 (00-03) BS--->AS
Honda S2000 (All) ASP--->BSP

I guess this won't go into effect out here until after the run-offs?
BSP Oh yeah, who wants to race against Curtis in his class.....

I'm guessing that '04-'05 continue in AS?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 PM

I know this may be chicken-sh_t, but I'm planning on staying in ASP... my car's level of prep isn't ready for the likes of him yet.

I'm going to need to invest a lot more $$$ before I'm even competetive in BSP, besides, BSP in the nationals often beat ASP cars anyways.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Oct 12 2004, 08:13 PM
I know this may be chicken-sh_t, but I'm planning on staying in ASP... my car's level of prep isn't ready for the likes of him yet.

I'm going to need to invest a lot more $$$ before I'm even competetive in BSP, besides, BSP in the nationals often beat ASP cars anyways.
I'm starting to believe that Nationals patterns don't exactly mean the same thing here at HRP. It just seems like a different ball game on that surface.
dood, join us on the dark side and get into SM2...
Actually, that doesn't help us in our goal to permeate all possible classes and world domination

Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the nat'ls results, that Saini guy was faster than the AS winner. I know that he is a good driver and all but S2ks can run with AS cars. Plus the difference between AS and BS is only 0.002 in the PAX. I am happy that S2ks are running in AS because it gives me more competition. It actually makes me want to stick to running my STi next year.

Also, the drop from ASP to BSP should be a welcome site since your PAX drops. I wouldn't 'hide' from running with Curtis. Sure it is an ego killer but still. Curtis is simply a good driver with a well set up car.

I see a lot of analysis that you guys do on his car. Since Curtis doesn't let people drive his car nor does he drive any one else's car, I think that one way to guage how well his car is set up is by watching how Jen drives other people's cars. Although there are a lot of variables in car setup and familiarity, the time that she gets can give you a little indication of how well his car is set up.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM

The only feedback I got regarding Jen's experience with other cars was her comment on Jayson's S2000, and I think she mentioned how it's "twitchy". Jay's car is a 2002 model and I got to drive a complete stock one inside of 2 weeks (my co-worker's car) and it felt so smooth and the suspension was a lot softer than mine. His comment about my car was like it had aftermarket suspension, but the earlier S2000 did have slightly higher spring rates for the front and back, making it easier to snap the rears out. My friend's 2002 car is a lot more stable than my 2001 w/ harder suspension.

In my opinion, in order to drive the S2000 even partially fast, you need very steady car control, you can't drive this car the way how you'd drive some of the other cars. The problem with driving a stiff car with a neutral weight distribution is that it tends to exaggerate your mistakes.

When Joey and Francis both got to drive my car during fun runs, they mentioned how much more stable my car is compared to Jayson's and the only noteable difference (besides the tires) is the 102% stiffer front sway bar. Joey liked how my car wasn't as "twitchy" as Jayson's so I'm guessing that the 240Z must be tuned biased towards understeer. Even with that kind of setting, it wouldn't be hard to compensate since a small change in your driving technique should handle that nicely and the penalty for the alteration is less than the benefit from the added stability... at least it's true for me, but it's only a theory in regards to their BSP car.

I can't speak for any car other than mine, however when I experimented with different front sway bar settings, the stiffer settings do add stability in the side to side stuff, but I had to pay real close attention to my corner entry speeds otherwise I'd had to deal with mad understeer with the fronts losing all traction. I think I could make it work if I had better grip up front but I'm already at the limits of what my 225's can handle at the middle setting. The nice thing about the stiffer setting was I could jump on the throttle harder/earlier at the corner exit (like at the crossover going towards the end of the drag strip) without the fear of breaking the rears free.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, one of you guys (jayson or jimmy) gotta let me try drive your car. I want to see what all this S2k snap oversteer ish is about. If it is as twitchy as an FSAE car, I think I will agree. Although my learning curve is kinda slow when it comes to cars.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:23 PM

mine is REALLY twitchy, as it has mismatched tires front to rear...i mean it starts to step out even at low speeds...and fuggetaboutit when it gets wet...

you can have a drive in mine as soon as the tires are changed...which will be a lil while since the rears are pretty much new

i dont want you to experience the snap oversteer right into a wall!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:47 PM

You can always drive mine... but by the time you drive it, the footwork may be different...

Jayson's car is the best reference point since the footwork is stock. However I would like a ride in your STI Mark. hehe.