Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Moving soon

Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving soon

I have been searching through the threads about safety and recon and it appears no one has dealt with what I forsee to be a problem for me.

I know I have to get the damn safety inspection when I get my car on the island, and for the most part I think I should be fine. I have a cai, header, and exhaust (which I will be putting the silencer on for shipping and inspection). I am pretty sure those will be fine from what I have read.

I recently picked up a used VAFC2 which I got tuned, will they give me crap if they see that in my car?

My MAIN concern is that I have a fairly aggressive wheel offset. It looks great to me, and is easy to fit a little extra rubber on for auto-xing. The problem is it sticks out a little bit outside the fender in the rear. Has anyone gotten an inspection with a little tire sticking beyond the fender?

If this is going to be an instant failure I am trying to remedy the problem while I am still in Florida so the fix might be a little cheaper......

My current thoughts are try to swap wheels with someone, which may be hard since I need certain widths so I can still do what I bought the car for, have fun autocrossing, I also don't like most designs of wheels I see on other S2k's.

My second thought was to do some serious body work to flare my fenders. This would definitely look awesome, as well as give me room for even more rubber in the future. The only problem is the amount of money I would have to spend, at a time which I don't have any to spare due to the amount I will need for vacation before the trip and the trip itself.

Any suggestions or more insight to this ridiculous car inspection process would be extremely welcome! Thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM

give us some pics of the fender.

but my gut feeling is that, if you got someone to overlook the exhaust, then they'll overlook the aggressive wheelset.

and about the VAFC, they wouldn't know that from a stereo controller.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Apparently, lot's of people know someone here who will overlook those "discrepancies". I'm in minority in that I'm pretty much "by-the-book". I wouldn't worry about it unless the top of your tires stick out past the the top of your fender-well.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Former Moderator

I'm hesitant to give advice to someone who has wheels hanging out VW style... but have you ever entertained the thought of trying to borrow a set of wheels for the safety inspection?

I would never condone doing that because it's against the law... and I respect the law to the fullest... you should never break the law....

just a thought.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM

I got a set of stocks you can run to get safety inspection lmk when you get here or I may be able to find someone that is not so strict
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

getting my safety next month. i going to throw my ap1s on and will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1001K,Jun 25 2008, 05:53 PM
Apparently, lot's of people know someone here who will overlook those "discrepancies".
i believe that you have 30 days to comply with the registration and safety check requirements. that's what DMV told me when i shipped my BMW here.

which means you can go to a safety check station and try to get one. at worst they will tell you, "no", and tell you what you need to be fixed. you can try another place if you want a second opinion, if you like. they won't charge you for rejecting you and they won't invalidate your right to operate the vehicle in the first 30 days. so time is on the OP's side.

and there are offers on the table to help the OP through it, sounds easy as pie to me.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Cool, thanks for the responses guys.

I appreciate the offers to let me through their stocks on for the test, but I think I would like to go the legal route, especially since I am in the Navy and prefer to not have to worry about dealing with legal issues with both the local government AND the military.

It is not really an extreme amount of tire showing, but when I read things stating if any tire goes past the fender that I will be failed, I want to make sure I pass.

Someone told me 1/2" is allowed, has anyone dealt with that much sticking out or know if that is a real rule?

If not, I am entertaining the idea of buying some asm flared over fenders. Only problem is that is money I don't want to spend.....

What kind of trouble am I looking at if I go to a more flexible safety inspection that passes me, and then some cop gives me crap for my tires sticking out a little bit? Is there any way to prove I had not modified the car since the safety inspection?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

post pics of how much its sticking out from the fender. i really doubt its much of an issue.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM

+1 if it's too much, the safety inspection is the least of your worries. we'll keep ridiculing you until you change wheels

Quick Reply: Moving soon