Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

me and recon...

Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me and recon...

went in for inspection today. did not pass...

1) dented rim
2) suspension is to stiff...i think cause the H&R are raised higher than stock height.
3) Headlites, Tailites, and 3rd Brake lite all say "JAPAN DOT" on it....

i dunno about the lights part...Colin shed some light on this cause you werk at Pfluger. I dunno how I'm supposed to prove to recon that is DOT approved when it says Japan on them...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I wouldnt even get RECON.

I would never waste my time with that organization. One guy knows his stuff there. All the others are clueless and I was giving them instructions on law about this car and its limits about modifications.

Just an FYI, I know for a fact your car belonged to Roden and he had his 2000 rear tailights tinted on USDM OEM factory rear tailights so that one is BS. Prime example here . Downside is you cant just take off the tint because they were sanded down, then sprayed. Your only real option is to buy new 00-03 tailights. Roden did not purchase JDM tailights. I know what dealer he bought the car from.

Next, you need 2 inches of travel (Hawaii only state law). If you have 2 inches of travel and its too stiff thats more BS. You can be stiff as long as you have a minimum of 2 inches of travel by Hawaii state law. I was told by neighbor (Recon Manager) and my across the street neighbor (HPD).

Number 3, Rodens old rims had normal wear and tear on them. Nothing that hurt the structure or integrity of the wheel. SO THEY CANNOT fail you for that. I would have called them on all three. I would have had a field day if I would have been there with you.

Just get a safety check and be done with it. You can leave the kit. Just make sure you have a front plate and normal (not tinted) headlamps and tails. Also make sure you have at least 35% or higher tint on all your windows and you will be good to go.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Jul 28 2005, 10:51 AM
Honestly, I wouldnt even get RECON. I didnt need it for 4 years and I was very modified. IMO, I know more than the Hawaii recon station there.

I would never waste my time with that organization. One guy knows his stuff there. All the others are clueless and I was giving them instructions on law about this car and its limits about modifications.

Just an FYI, I know for a fact your car belonged to Roden and he had his 2000 rear tailights tinted on USDM OEM factory rear tailights so that one is BS. Prime example here . Downside is you cant just take off the tint because they were sanded down, then sprayed. Your only real option is to buy new 00-03 tailights.

Next, you need 2 inches of travel (Hawaii only state law). If you have 2 inches of travel and its too stiff thats more BS. You can be stiff as long as you have a minimum of 2 inches of travel by Hawaii state law.

Number 3, Rodens old rims had normal wear and tear on them nothing that hurt the structure or integrity of the wheel. SO THEY CANNOT fail you for that. I would have called them on all three.
the reason that i'm trying to get recon is because i'm doing a section in Xhift Magazine on the basics of recon. its a 3 part series. the first addressed the procedure, the second part will talk about specifics on what will pass and what will fail (with a disclaimer) and also describe what i did to my car and what need to be fixed, the last section will have more specifics and hopefully i can say that i passed!

i dont have the smoked tail lights on the car anymore...there was a service bulletin out so i had those replace a few months ago so they should pass

he did the bounce test and there was pretty much no play in the front. no where close to 2 inches

one rims is not just crurbed, there is a dent on it, although it doesnt leak air. the dent is pretty visible.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by NSRsinfuLangeL,Jul 28 2005, 10:59 AM
the reason that i'm trying to get recon is because i'm doing a section in Xhift Magazine on the basics of recon. its a 3 part series. the first addressed the procedure, the second part will talk about specifics on what will pass and what will fail (with a disclaimer) and also describe what i did to my car and what need to be fixed, the last section will have more specifics and hopefully i can say that i passed!

i dont have the smoked tail lights on the car anymore...there was a service bulletin out so i had those replace a few months ago so they should pass

he did the bounce test and there was pretty much no play in the front. no where close to 2 inches

one rims is not just crurbed, there is a dent on it, although it doesnt leak air. the dent is pretty visible.
Thats even worse. HAHA. You got the recall on your tails from the dealer and still failed with them on? What kinda crap is that?

How low from stock height were you? I thought you just said you were above stock height which means you should have a minimum of 3-4 finger gap which is acceptable.

How bad is the dent. Do you have pictures?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:12 AM

i know!! i told him that i had the papers showing that honda just replaced those lights, but he said i need to get something from honda that says is US DOT approved!???

my car is at stock height right now. actually one side is higher than stock. the gap is not what they look at..heigh wise they go by the head lite. i think its just super stiff cause we raised it up so high and the spring in there is super compressed. i think i might try to drop the car more cause its like waaaay high enough to pass recon.

the rims is kinda bad, but i dont got pics. i can get it fixed, but i'm wondering about the color of the rims and stuff...i dunno if the metal is that bronze color or if its like anodized or something
Old 07-28-2005, 03:35 PM

i think its anodized or painted but those looked more anodized? anyway someone's got to have some stock rims lying around for you to use.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:38 PM

yeah i got the stocks, but whats the point of gettign recon if its not legit?!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Whos to say you didnt get the dent after you got the recon sticker.... That is how you are supposed to get recon, everything is after the fact Recon is just another state money scam just like our court system. Nothing is honest now days and never will be so why should we. The point is, you will never win with recon. You are trying to get recon cuz you modified somthing on your car from stock but they will not pass you cuz your modification dont meet thier standards? What standards? Stock standards? I have been through that shit so many times with my preludes that I just gave up.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1-S2k-2-NV,Jul 28 2005, 04:09 PM
Whos to say you didnt get the dent after you got the recon sticker.... That is how you are supposed to get recon, everything is after the fact Recon is just another state money scam just like our court system. Nothing is honest now days and never will be so why should we.
I totally agree with you Ben. Whats up man? Hows your bike? We just saw a yellow Ducati the other night and Cheryl was like is that Ben?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Jul 28 2005, 02:16 PM
I totally agree with you Ben. Whats up man? Hows your bike? We just saw a yellow Ducati the other night and Cheryl was like is that Ben?
haha sup man, how are you both doing? Everything great with your S? You gonna have to send me some pics of you both and your S. Yep still got my Duc but gonna sell it so I can get that 999R model from CA. I am gonna have that thing shipped here but gonna fly down there to check it out first before I spend all that mula 32,000 for a bike is sort of alot but worth it especially for a Duc.

Quick Reply: me and recon...