Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

July 3rd Autocross

Old 07-05-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default July 3rd Autocross

Hey everyone....thought I'd give a little report on last Sunday's AutoX.

It was a great day for racing, and apparently I wasn't the only one that thought so....there was over 100 people racing with lots of novices there!!

It was a very long course compared to what we usually run at HRP. It had a good mix of fast and slow sections....IMO, one of the better course setups we've had out there.

We had 3 S2000's out there, although we were all in different classes.

Steve tore it up by winning SM2, finishing 6th/15th (raw/PAX) overall. He's inching closer and closer to Curtis.

I had a couple good runs, and I won AS (again, since there's never anyone else in the class). I finished 12th/8th (raw/PAX) overall. Probably one of my best drives to date. I could still use some racing slicks though, if anyone wants to contribute to the "make hawkdog faster" fund. Oh and I spun out once just for good measure.

The other S2000 out there was Marc in ASP. He had a really good 2nd run, and then I opened my big mouth and told him to let some air out of his rear tires since he looked a little loose in the back end and he was running them at about 36 psi. So what happened on the next run? He spun. Marc's now an official member of the S2K club. Hope to see you there more often.

Next race is August 14th! Mark your calendars! We need more S2000's out there......racing is what you bought the car for, right?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 PM

so the trick 4 a successful autoX day is to drink, shoot billiards/darts/the shit the whole afternoon and evening and make smcurry change his over to his track wheels at 1am?

sounds like a good plan to me!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by kent-k,Jul 5 2005, 04:53 PM
so the trick 4 a successful autoX day is to drink, shoot billiards/darts/the shit the whole afternoon and evening and make smcurry change his over to his track wheels at 1am?

sounds like a good plan to me!
Actually, I went to sleep at 2 a.m. and woke up at 4 to change the tires. Man oh man, I was sooooo tired by the time I set up the timing trailer and track, and then had to race. Adrenaline takes over when you race though. I liked the track, but it was a little bit slow for my taste. At least it wasn't dangerous. The course was very technical, being the great equalizer between the classes. This kind of track shows talent more than a fast car. I think if Hawkdog had his R-compound tires, he would have beat me, since switching to race rubber will usually decrease your times by 1-2 seconds ( he was only 1.2 seconds behind me ). Great driving Mike!

As for getting closer to Curtis, I've gotten as high as 2nd fastest overall, but still over 2 seconds slower than Curtis. It will take something special to catch him. I'm just trying to stay in the top 5, which didn't happen this month. There's a lot of talent out there, and I could have easily been 3rd or 10th. The overall times are that close at the top (except for Curtis). We just keep battling on...
Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 AM

yup that course was fun but confusing. thanks for the tip mike. i just pushed it way over the limit and took out 8 cones at once lol. oh well i had a lot of fun. see you guys there next month.