Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Intakes for s2k

Old 06-14-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes for s2k

I wanted to get a review from folks that live in hawaii that have (or had) an intake on their s2k. If you feel any gains (dyno proven or butt), fit issues, and sound. By the way has anyone dynoed their s2k here?

(I shouldnt even be trying to mod this damn car...i guess its just a curse)
Old 06-14-2003, 02:12 PM

Yeah i really liked the J's or mugen...but i didnt like the idea of having to cut the hood. i might just keep it stock and replace the air element.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:30 PM

I've never heard the Comptech when it hit VTEC. I had the AEM CAI. There was a power difference. Noticeably at around 4000 rpm on mild acceleration and overall performance. I raced my friend's modded WRX a lot and with the stock intake we were even through third gear. With the AEM, I pulled on him through all gears.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:25 PM

I too had the AEM intake and noticed some hp increase. I did a lot of reading and inquiring before I bought the AEM and decided on the AEM based on the feedback that I got.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:28 PM

Personally, I would recommend the mugen. I've had the aem and have to agree with jdm on the annoying sound and no real power gain. With the mugen, I def. felt the gain from about 3k and up with my ass dyno. Sorry, I don't have any real numbers to prove it. I guess its all relative tho. Depends on what type of gain you expect to feel from $1,300. The hood cutting is not big deal. Actually, I bought a j's style hood to cut just in case I ever need to sell my car.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:07 PM

Last night, Stephen and I went driving around in the rain in each other's cars and I must say that there was quite a difference driving the black "F20C" versus my stocker.

Stephen's car is equipped with a lot of N/A mods and I must say they all looked hella great. The Mugen intake is a piece of art, beautiful from front to back and it really opens up the front end so you can see all the way to the underside. Although noticing the difference in sound was overshadowed by his high-power exhaust sound (which IMHO sounded great), the engine rev'd a lot easier than mine, completely unrestricted and eager to spin to 9k rpms.

Going back into my car and driving it made the car felt like it was a bit "constipated" compared to Steve's. For me, to make an honest opinion on his intake is going to be difficult to say the least. He has all of the high-flowing mods to include the Mugen ECU and much more so only he can tell you his impressions before and after the install of the CAI.

My impressions of driving Stephen's Mugen '01 was that it was great and definitely several levels above a stock S2000, at least my okole' meter told me so. He chose well with his mods and most won't go wrong if you follow his example.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I really like what Stephen did to his car.....ive never gotten to go for a spin in it, but from his list of mods he did a great job.

-Snuff
Old 06-15-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Hyper-X
He chose well with his mods and most won't go wrong if you follow his example.
gee, thanks Jimmy (you'll get your $20 next time I see you
)

Too bad it was raining so hard when we met up. We didn't get a chance to see how the cars compare. I'm not so sure it will be that different though... probably just a lot louder. I did dyno my car about a year ago, and I wasn't that impressed with the numbers. I had the Mugen header, intake, and J's N1 exhaust, and made 201.2 hp,136 lb/ft. @ 81F humidity 40%. Unfortunately, I didn't have a baseline run before those mods. A lot of stock S2000's make more than that on the mainland, but I know that all dyno's and dyno operators are different, so it's hard to make comparisons.
I've added Hondata intake gasket, Mugen thermostat, fan switch, radiator cap, ECU, and Spoon test pipe since that first dyno, and tried to dyno again. Unfortunately, the place I dyno'd the first time sold their machine, and I haven't found another place to dyno yet. I am looking at Endless Garage, but they didn't have their machine set up properly when I went to visit them (no exhaust vents, so everyone was getting high on the exhaust fumes), so if you guys have any suggestions...

If you go with just an air filter element, I recommend the JR filter. I had that on my car before the Mugen, and although I didn't dyno it, I perceived a difference in throttle response and the intake note changed as well. Good bang for the buck (about $55).

The AEM, IMO, sounded good. It does seem as though several members of this forum had posted problems with hydrolock (or just short of hydrolock, and just stalling the engine) in heavy rain situations. Most owners seem to love it though. I always thought the AEM was a good bang for the buck (so long as you don't experience that hydrolock situation...)
Old 06-15-2003, 08:45 PM

Yeah hydro lock can kinda ruin your day. I was looking into that 4-IG intake as well....just dont care for that look though. I guess ill just sit around and wait until i can decide on something.

-Snuff
Old 06-16-2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by smccurry

gee, thanks Jimmy (you'll get your $20 next time I see you )

Shhh! Someone might get suspicious of the post!

Quick Reply: Intakes for s2k