Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

I'm going TURBO!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I'll look you up once it gets installed. Any ballpark guess how much it'll run?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant tell you at this time cuz the tuner is out, he comes in late
Old 11-03-2005, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why anyone would think the AEM EMS isn't professional quality but a lot of successful racers use them and have won consistently. I do know for a fact that it's not easy to tune with the EMS for an inexperienced tuner however to those who are certified to tune them (yes, there's a certification for proper training to use the EMS from AEM), it becomes an incredibly powerful and flexible tool to maximizing the potential of your super aspirated engine.

I got the chance to drive a turbo'd '02 S2k using a Greddy unit, which is a PBU (piggyback unit) and while it did have power, the delivery wasn't linear and there were spots in the powerband where I thought felt dull (even at 1 BAR) and the owner confirmed it as well.

The tuning is where the difference is made, often at the ECU. Shawn Church (ultimate lurker) has probably the most experience out of all the S2k tuners that I know of in the USA and if he uses it as his tool to make that turbo work with your car the best, it's good enough for me imho. If you look around the internet, there's a lot of EMS baseline maps that you can download and examine the tables based on the type of turbo/wastegate combo you have, boost pressure/rate, barometric pressure, turbine efficiency table, etc. What those pre-made maps can't account for are the poor quality of fuel we have in Hawaii, the ambient outside temps versus humidity conditions that other states may not have, so naturally some changes will be needed to account for those variables, and hopefully by a qualified technician.

What I don't get is how people can get their cars tuned in 1 session, it just blows my mind, maybe some tuners are just that good. My friend in Houston got his 240sx (SR20DET conversion) tuned 9 times over a period of 10 months and finally got a working combination that appears to work well for him. He said to me that the 1st session was good but incrimentally got better as he noticed all the small glitches slowly disappearing over the course of the tuning sessions. It could be because they experience a wider variety of environmental conditions like winter and stuff...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well its not that our guy sais its junk , he jsut means that its hard to use compared to like Autronic
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Izumi Racecraft deffinitly said it was junk, and that he wouldn't touch AEM on principle. I don't agree with him, but to each his own.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM

hello...he sells and tunes autronic. i would think he says everything else sucks.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:37 PM

I don't know what he does, all I know is it was suggested that I try asking him and he didn't like it. BTW, what the hell is autronic? I'm gonna go look that up...
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM

its another kinda standalone. its not car specific.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM

i think you also have to consider how many people around town can do a particular system. there are many reasons that might make you not want to use a certain tuner and/or shop. in that case there needs to be other people in town that can do the tune.

and Hyper-X is absolutely correct. it takes a long time to finish a tune. you have to encounter all the combinations of environmental and driving variables several times to arrive at a repeatable tune.

good luck
Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 AM

i think most people get it tuned one time cause they are tuning for max hp.

hyper-x's friend on the other had. seeing that the car was a sred240 makes me think that it was more for drift than for drag. in that case the drift cars are more about all around hp. and that you can't tune in one crack

Quick Reply: I'm going TURBO!