Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

I'll Be In Hawaii For The Next 3 Mos.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin,Jul 14 2004, 08:27 PM
Bwa ha ha ha! 45 minutes! During rush hour its gonna take a lot longer than that! Adjust for the time difference and you can see for yourself hereHawaii Traffic Cameras I usually wait till 6:30-7:00 to head home. I'm in Kunia which is about 5 miles closer. However the difference in time is very small since there is usually no traffic between Kunia and Kapolei. It's all between Downtown and Pearl City.
Thanks for that link Colin and the warning about the rush hour traffic. I guess I have to wake up early and get to work early to avoid rush hour traffic.

Larry
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Jul 15 2004, 12:42 AM
Filipino? I'm surrounded on all 4 sides by Filipinos and they know how to party!

I've only got 1 piece of advice, watch out for the "Bak-la's" in Waikiki.
Yes I am Filipino and yeah thanks for the advice. When I was in Waikiki about 2 years ago, my wife and I noticed that the bakla's congregated around this one area of the beach. There sure were a lot of them.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:29 AM

O.K.
About the food. I would recommend Cappucino's, which is on Lewer's St.
Nakamura Ramen, on Kalakaua.
The International Food Court has a variety of places to eat. I like Choi's Korean BBQ, Hamburger Joe's, Torito's Mexican food. This is also off of Kalakaua.
These are all under $10

For a little bit more (still under $15 for lunch), I recommend the following:
Arancino's (Italian) is good as well (on Beachwalk St.)
Restaurant Suntory (Japanese)
Okonomiyaki Chibo (Japanese) both of these are inside of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center which is on Kalakaua. They usually have lunch specials that will still keep you under $10 too.

There's more, but I can't think of it right now. We'll get a chance to show you when you get here anyway.

oh boy, now I'm getting hungry!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:36 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention... up to $10 does sound like a lot for daily lunch, but you're not going to find $5 or cheaper unless you go to Jack in the Crack or McDonald's (even then you'll usually go over $5 unless you get the 99
Old 07-16-2004, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 01SilverS2k,Jul 14 2004, 05:02 PM
By the way, my commute will probably be from the Waikiki area to Kapolei. How long of a commute is this? According to Mapquest its right around 45 minute drive. Is this accurate? How's the traffic during rush hour? Thanks.
About the traffic during commute; I'm not so sure you're going to catch the bad traffic because you're going the opposite direction of most commuters.
Most everyone here will be travelling towards town in the morning, and towards Kapolei/Hawaii Kai after work.
I don't know for sure, since I don't go this route, but I think you'll just experience some traffic trying to leave Waikiki and up until you pass the downtown area and it should clear up.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:19 AM

Larry,

I must have missed the part about your direction of travel. Stephen is right, there are less cars travelling in that direction, but traffic will still be heavy. The two major corridors (H-1 and Nimitz hwy) on this route are both contra-flowed drring rush hour in the morning, because of this, the traffic out of town is still heavy and down to two lanes on H-1 in areas.

Here, moring traffic begins around 6-6:30 am and the PM traffic is starting to back up at 3-3:30. Let's face it, nobody looks forward to the traffic, but it's a part of life is you desire home ownership since this is where most of the houses are being built. After a while, you just learn to ignore the fact that only in honolulu can you take 45 minutes to travel 3-4 miles (the other 16 miles of the commute wll take 15 min).
Old 07-16-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Colin,Jul 16 2004, 09:19 AM
Larry,

I must have missed the part about your direction of travel. Stephen is right, there are less cars travelling in that direction, but traffic will still be heavy. The two major corridors (H-1 and Nimitz hwy) on this route are both contra-flowed drring rush hour in the morning, because of this, the traffic out of town is still heavy and down to two lanes on H-1 in areas.

Here, moring traffic begins around 6-6:30 am and the PM traffic is starting to back up at 3-3:30. Let's face it, nobody looks forward to the traffic, but it's a part of life is you desire home ownership since this is where most of the houses are being built. After a while, you just learn to ignore the fact that only in honolulu can you take 45 minutes to travel 3-4 miles (the other 16 miles of the commute wll take 15 min).
Hey Colin,

Yes, my commute will be from the hotel/apartment units at Ala Moana Blvd to Kapolei. I'll take everybody's advice and give myself some lee way so I get to work in time.

Thanks again.

Larry
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Jul 16 2004, 04:29 AM
O.K.
About the food. I would recommend Cappucino's, which is on Lewer's St.
Nakamura Ramen, on Kalakaua.
The International Food Court has a variety of places to eat. I like Choi's Korean BBQ, Hamburger Joe's, Torito's Mexican food. This is also off of Kalakaua.
These are all under $10

For a little bit more (still under $15 for lunch), I recommend the following:
Arancino's (Italian) is good as well (on Beachwalk St.)
Restaurant Suntory (Japanese)
Okonomiyaki Chibo (Japanese) both of these are inside of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center which is on Kalakaua. They usually have lunch specials that will still keep you under $10 too.

There's more, but I can't think of it right now. We'll get a chance to show you when you get here anyway.

oh boy, now I'm getting hungry!
Yummy.... You making me hungry dude. I will certainly try those suggestions. Thanks again. Can't wait to get there.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 AM

Well, you should be arriving today, so I hope you have internet access to check this site. If you need any suggestions or just want to meet up, give me a call on my cell (220-5073). Laters,
Stephen
Old 07-22-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Jul 18 2004, 10:58 AM
Well, you should be arriving today, so I hope you have internet access to check this site. If you need any suggestions or just want to meet up, give me a call on my cell (220-5073). Laters,
Stephen
Finally just got the chance to log on. Well, I have been here since Sunday and its been quite busy at work. My commute from Ilikai hotel to Kapolei hasn't been really bad. I've left at 6 am and got to Kapolei by 6:30. I guess at this early time traffic isn't as bad. Also, I have gone to the Ala Moana shopping center food court as you've suggested and they're not bad.

When are you all having your drive? Hopefully I can try and meet up with you guys.

Larry

Quick Reply: I'll Be In Hawaii For The Next 3 Mos.