Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

hey steven check this out, short 1 min vid from yesterdays lapping session

Old 07-13-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey steven check this out, short 1 min vid from yesterdays lapping session

Warm Up Lap

Right Click Save as.

Yes im trying to get you to come out

108mph not bad for a warm up lap

i got up to 120 later in teh day with the top down, and about 105-110 on the back straight.

much slower then colin ill bet
hey colin if you are reading this, how fast did u use to go thru the chicane? and on the back straight? thru the sweeper? im trying to see where i need to improve.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:32 PM

That looks like a lot of fun!!
Too bad I work Saturdays now. Maybe I can get that day off for 1 Saturday...

Hey Colin, what kind of pads and brake fluid would you recommend for a lapping session, and is it easy to swap out?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:36 PM

im running Motul fluid, and trying out some hawk HP Plus pads, my friend uses them on his ITR, and has had good results. so im willing to try that combo out.

lets see what colin says
Old 07-14-2003, 01:51 AM

Nice lap. That looked like a lot of fun, I gotta try it when I do the necessary upgrades.

I plan on using new pads, blue fluid, and a new set of tires soon and I can't wait to see what changes it will make with my Solo2 times. (for obvious reasons, I can't mod the car much beyond that without getting kicked out of b-stock).

From what I've seen and heard from the Solo 1 guys, the key point of the track is the last corner before the long straight. For every single mph you can squeeze coming out of that corner, you'll be faster for every single foot of the straightaway. Driving my GTI a long time ago, I recall that corner being scary when driven to the limit... I had a few close calls there.

The WRX in front of you appeared to have badly understeered coming out of the off-camber. Turbo + 4WD gives him the advantage of coming out of those situations easier than n/a FR cars. I truly believe in my heart after driving the S2k that the margin for error is less compared to cars such as the WRX. We lose a lot of time should we understeer at the wrong places and have to pick up speed again which is a lot harder than those having a "crutch" of a compressor or turbo. It's because of this that I believe the driver has to be that much more refined with his/her techniques in the S2000 and that's what gets me excited about it.

Just wondering, did Joey come out to play also? If so, how did he do?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:36 PM

joey was out there as usual, with Hoosiers this time, he was turning very fast laps, i do believe he was one of the fastest guys out there that day. his car sounds really good going down the straights at WOT.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:55 PM

Cool... nice to hear that an S2k is tearing it up.

All we need now are some vids!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:13 PM

i actually think i have a short clip of him at home, ill try and encode it tonight and upload it
Old 07-14-2003, 05:03 PM

Silver,

Nice video! You're still on stock tires right? If so, you're doing great to hit 120 on the straight! As someone mentioned, top speed is determined by our cornering speed throught the "rubber room" and race rubber will really help with cornering. You can also brake later with race rubber since you have more grip. Naturally this means yo transfer more force to your braking system and suspension. FWIW, at those speeds, top up is good for almost 5 mph!

As for equipment, Motul for me, and I was using Porterfield R4S'. I wanted to try carbotechs since if you're a member of s2kca you get a discount and some people (whos opinions I respect) use carbotech.

Hyper is correct, we MUST keep the momentum up through the turns cause we don't have enough power to pull out if you scrub off too much speed.

Steve, Fluid is easy, pads less so. I've seen pads done dozens of times, but have never performed this myself.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:45 PM

colin,

Yes still on stock tires, and yes it made a huge diffrence with the top down vs last month i ran with the top up. i would have had to shift into 5th or ride the limiter with the top up last month, but i just backed off at 120, which came alot faster with the top up

that back straight is fun flat out thru that small kink. it took me all day to realize that i could shift to 4th before the turn in on the back side.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:15 PM

I remember fighting with Jayson real hard down the front straight and I had a real tough time getting close enough to him to make the flagger throw the "move over" flag. If I remember, it took me 4-5 laps to make my pass. It's not that surprising though, he has 240 hp and superior aerodynamics. Once I got around him, his car was no match for ours, we have better braking (with fluid and pads), better cornering grip, and are MUCH better through the "guard shack" chicane.

I hate the Rubber room, too much risk and as you noticed, you need to shift to 3rd right before it straightens out! You obviously have "bigger ones" than me! I was seeing 120 also, but I have race tires so I should be faster through the "rubber room" giving me more speed down the straight.

Quick Reply: hey steven check this out, short 1 min vid from yesterdays lapping session