Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Hello

Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am in the Navy currently stationed in Jacksonville. As I finally finish my schooling I will be traveling to my next station which is the Marine Base in Kaneohe Bay. I am looking forward to experiencing a lot more of Hawaii than I did during my 2 week visit a couple years ago.

A few questions (sorry if any of them are repetitive)

Anything I should know about mods to my car when brining it onto the island? It does currently have a test pipe which I can switch back the cat if that is a problem.

I also have a Honda 919 motorcycle that I am itching to put a loud exhaust on, is that going to cause me problems as I try to import it onto the island?

How are the theft levels? I am hoping to find a place near the base with a garage. Is an alarm mandatory or could I get away without one?

Anyone else stationed on the base? S2k friends are always the best to make at a new city!

Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions, looking forward to my new residence for the next 4 years and meeting all of ya!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 PM

You'll probably get away with the test pipe. Biggest challenge would be if you modified the suspension of your vehicle. Then you "should" get a Vehicle Reconstruction permit. You'll have other's chime in on this. You'll probably read more about this too when you actually get here -- I think there's an orientation for you guys when you PCS into HI.

There's really no definitive rules regarding loud exhausts. But I'm not sure anymore.

Theft levels are high, but not that bad. Get an alarm. A garage would be great, but it really depends where you live I think. I would have no problems parking my car on the street where I live.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome! dont worry about the tp as we do not have smog check. i agree with 1001K about the suspension mod and recon. personally, i dont have recon as i take the wifeys car for more "policed" areas.

i used to have a f4i with a fairly loud devil exhaust. no problems at all with law enforcement. i am unsure how to register an out of state bike but you may need a state safety inspection (once your current registration expires). i can tell you to where i used to take my bike. the shop was more concerned with turn signals and brakes versus exhausts.

regarding theft. it does depend where you live. any ideas if you going to live (on base or off base)? just ask if you have any more questions.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up dude.. I won't say much about the car situation as you should be fine.. S2000s don't seem to be a high theft item out here, although nothing surprises me anymore.. Witht the bike though.. trust trust trust me on this.. You already are going to have more than enough police attention being that it's a sportbike. alot of military guys come out here and go nuts on them and in general, sportbikers are out here shooting themselves in the foot so to speak. if you start removing turn signals, making your bike louder..etc.. just multiply your chances x 10 foor everything you do. I've recieved tickets that you couldn't imagine anywhere else on a bike.. "Dirty Lic Plate" 75$ "Turn Sigs Too Close" blah blah.. and bikes disappear in 10 seconds sometimes.. just luck of the drw on that.. get theft added to you insurance for it..

anyway.. I'm Navy too, but stationed elsewhere, and there's a few more Navy guys rolling the S2000s as well on here.. so we'll keep a look out and let us know when you get here.. cgeck out the motorcycle section on forumshawaii.net for more bike info.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all the good info. I will prolly post some more questions when I think of them in the future........

Dirty plates, I can't even imagine receiving that ticket......wow. The nicer thing about my bike is it is a naked sport bike so it doesn't command as much cop attention as the plastic housed sport bikes.......

I have been told I will be able to get off base housing but who knows what they will say when i arrive. I am having garage withdrawls so I hope to get off base with a garage if thats possible. Is anyone else on the Marine base?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM

from what i know, just try to stay away from waikiki whenever u can if your modding your car
Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM

So if I were to lower my vehicle I still would need to get a Vehicle Reconstruction permit.... I thought they stopped this...hehe dang their makin money for everything...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM

^ Wassup B! How's life?