Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Hawaii Vacation! Things to do?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM

take the wifey to Big Island Candies! bring back a lot of chocolate covered cookies for your relatives back home.

http://www.bigislandcandies.com/

585 Hinano Street
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Monday-Sunday
8:30am-5:00pm (HST)

Pile up on the Kona coffee while you're on the Big Island too. since there isn't much shopping there, you might as well bring home some goodies.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 AM

You're making me want to take a weekender to the Big Island!

You folks have a very special piece of the planet.... I knew that the second I was there years ago when we stopped for gas enroute to Guam where the air force decided to send my dad... think we spent an hour or so at Hickam.... I was about 17... stopped on the way back about three years later and almost didn't get back on the plane.... made a couple or trips in the past two or so years and I can't get the islands out of my head... if I have both feet on the right side of the ground and some how manage to stay employed until I retire in five or so years I hope to buy a small place in the Hilo or Puna area and never look back... even plan to ship my s2k if I can keep the fenders on it.... sorry for rambling... you guys be safe over there!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by KonaMan,Nov 26 2008, 06:06 PM
Make a bee line to one of those big chain book stores and shell out about $25 for a good guide book... there's plenty to do on the Big Island... Been there twice in the past few years and can't wait to get back... all of the Islands are beautiful and the folks there treat you like family...

Put on your laid back hat and savor every minute of the time you are there... Plan on spending a day at Volcano National Park and hike the crater floor just off the Thurston Lava tube... you can spend half a day doing that... do the chain of craters road until it ends and hike as far as you have time for into the lava field where the road ends. You never know where the flow might be but if you are lucky you will see sights you will never forget.

Consider this something that you won't do every day and spring for a helicopter ride over Kiluea (my spelling is the suck)... the folks at Paradise are great and if you snatch a ride in their Huges 500 they'll take the doors off for you for a few extra bucks. Lee was our pilot/guide and gave us a first class ride and tour...

Be sure to take the ride up to Mona Kea (again, sorry about my spelling)... breath taking... Saddle road takes you from Hilo over to the Kona coast... when I was there the rental company discouraged the trip but it was no big thing...

Since our time was limited we took a couple of tours... Captain Zodiac snorkle trip was worth every nickle... this time of year if you do the Zodiac trip odds are you will wind up seeing some Humpbacks... they should be coming to town about this time of year... we also took a six or eight wheeled military type go anywhere type vehicle up to a dormant volcano on the Kona side... well worth the bucks... breath taking experience... plus, they make a pit stop at the Mountain Thunder Coffee plantation where I learned that Kona coffee is the best legal organic substance on the planet... spring for some Peaberry beans to grind up when you get home...

Plenty of out of the way local type places to eat and enjoy... we didn't scratch the surface of things to do while we were there... never really made it too far up north...

Man, I wish I was going with you.. beautiful place and the locals are great.... treat the island and people with respect and you will be rewarded with the experience of a lifetime...

Buy the/a Big Island book and study it before you go.... you are going to have a blast...

I would suggest, since you are taking a logn ride to get there, try to make the time to see at least two of the islands... Maui is terribly nice... Oahu is a bit more commercial if you stay on the Honolulu side (if shopping and night life are your thing Oahu may be better suited for you)... but damn, it's all a piece of Heaven no matter where you wind up.

Enjoy
Thanks a lot man!!! You should definitely be a personal guide! Perhaps a business future if you move out there!
Everything you mentioned sounds great. I'll try to pick up the book before I leave as well.
The lady won't be happy with no shopping... but good for me!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 AM

IRS 2K...

Enjoy... it's a beautiful place...