Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

A fun technical talk with a 350Z driver

Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A fun technical talk with a 350Z driver

After the Halloween outing, I stopped by Zippy's in Waipio to get a snack and I parked next to a really nice Silver 350Z, naturally it was dropped with nice wheels, tires and exhaust from what I could tell. I thought it was worth saying hi to the guy and complimenting him on his ride.

Naturally he starts to tell me what he did to the car, when he got it, what he planned on doing to it, you know... the usual car stuff. Then he asked me what I did to my car and I told him that the car's basically stock w/ a different exhaust and a common tube-style intake (I found it unnecessary to talk to him about the other mods as I don't think he'd understand the benefits they provide the S2000, like the Mugen ECU/Headers, Hondata, blah blah blah.)

He got to the topic regarding suspension and he asked me why I didn't "drop" it yet. Well, the simple answer to that was, I was on stock rims and tires and I didn't think it'd look too good, but I could be wrong. He said to me that he was on his 4th suspension because he didn't like the other 3 that he had. I asked him what he didn't like about them and he said "everytime I get the thing professionally tuned, it'd be good for one condition and not another and that pissed him off."

Well I couldn't help but offer him some ideas and theories behind his findings. I said to him that when you choose any performance suspension system, they are designed to specialize for a narrow range of conditions, meaning just because you have it tuned, doesn't mean it'd perform ideally for perfectly paved roads and bumpy broken asphalt. In that respect, the OEM suspension (in good working condition) often offers the widest range of performance for most realistic daily driving conditions. It'd be incredible if there was such a car that'd perform the same way all the time, remain totally balanced and neutral regardless of the conditions, however there's no such car. If he tunes his suspension for hard circuit driving and expect those settings to work for him in Solo2 autocross, and driving in the rain, he's out of his mind. So I basically told him that he needs to simply ask himself what was most important. Most people tune their cars moderately so it specializes in nothing, but will adhere to most variety of situations. For most street driven cars, the spring rate and damper rates should be sufficient enough to prevent bottoming out to ensure safety above all else. Another thing that I left for him was his comment regarding camber adjustments for maximum performance. All I had to say about that was even if the performance shop thought that having say -4 degrees camber up front would improve his cornering stability, it's going to affect his straight line braking performance (less contact area from tire to road surface) so he needs to again, think about what's really more important. IMHO, safety on the roads > performance risks.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:40 AM

good points

thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 AM

sorry wrong thread!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM

-4 degrees! That's nuts! I had neg 2.5 on the rears of our 2000, and it was pretty extreme!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the people of J's say about -4--4.5 is good in the rear and about -3 - -3.5 is good for the front.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Good for what! No good for drags, too extreme for the street, and I don't recall seeing any 350Zs autox? Maybe lapping days?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:50 PM

^i think he was talking about the S
Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kent-k,Nov 2 2005, 02:50 PM
^i think he was talking about the S
I don't think so, Jimmy is telling us that the Z owners' performance shop is suggeting -4 deg for better cornering. I'm guessing they also sell tires Of course shedding about 500 lbs will also help handling......
Old 11-02-2005, 04:35 PM

oh. i remember taka telling me that about the j's racing car and some crazy camber #'s. my mistake.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
VR4

i run about 2.8 all around on my VR4. i dont see a reason to go any more. the wear is even across the whole tire.

Quick Reply: A fun technical talk with a 350Z driver