Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Dyno Day 11-13-04

Old 11-14-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Nov 14 2004, 11:26 AM
I don't think your engine is necessarily weak, but what mods do you have or are you 100% stock?

Remember, my car and Steve's car has the most mods to date, and Mike is close behind. The correction factor is zero so it's uncorrected #'s.
car is bone stock. major reason i think the car is weak is mike dyno'd around 190 with just the spoon snorkle and nate dyno'd 198 with just an intake and two mufflers welded to the stock piping. unless those mods give you that much of a gain (most people on the board say they don't), then i find it hard to believe they would have been putting out low 180s hp stock.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:55 PM

It's hard to determine which factors contributed to either power gain or power loss without monitoring the OBD2 sensors to make sure we're all dyno'ing under the exact same conditions. That means making sure engine coolant temps are within 185-190 degrees for each run.

My car when stock dyno'd 207 at Naka's Waipio when it was cold (just made it to 3 bars when they started the run) while the 2nd run lost 6hp after they left my engine running for 10 minutes. The 3rd run I lost 3 more hp before they shut it down to let my car cool off.

Since your car is stock, did you make sure your air filter was clean? That can rob 2hp in some cases.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 PM

my air filter should have been relatively clean as it was supposed to have been replaced less than 4k mi ago when i got the 30k service done. i don't know if it would have made much of a difference, but i was due for an oil change when i went to dyno. i got to hypersports while nate's car was already on the dyno so it probably had only about 15 mins to cool down. i would love to believe that these factors played a big role in my low numbers, but i'm pretty sure they wouldn't account for a 10hp difference.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:45 PM

Man, you make is sound like the discussion is about something really important ..... something like Penis size?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colin,Nov 14 2004, 09:45 PM
Man, you make is sound like the discussion is about something really important ..... something like Penis size?
Yeah man, you figured it out, thats how it works. The bigger your feet, or the taller you are, or the HP of your car... they give away what you got in the shorts. For example: I'm 6'1" with a size 13 foot, and my car did pretty good on the dyno...
Old 11-14-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by hahnn002,Nov 14 2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah man, you figured it out, thats how it works. The bigger your feet, or the taller you are, or the HP of your car... they give away what you got in the shorts. For example: I'm 6'1" with a size 13 foot, and my car did pretty good on the dyno...
ouch! at least i know where i stand... no wonder i keep getting those stupid spam emails about "enhancement". its like they know or something...
Old 11-14-2004, 10:04 PM

Yup Gotta love that Spam! If I replied to each one of those, I'd have the largest penis (yards long), with the most saying power ( no doubt months of erections), in the world! And to top it all off, I'd have a 100 Rolex watches (the latest bunch of crap to get past my filter....)
Old 11-14-2004, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Nov 13 2004, 07:50 PM
Mike's car actually has a new mod that supplements the Spoon snorkel. There is a 3 inch diameter hole on the side of the airbox that has an intake hose going through the passenger-side front panel, down to behind the faux air duct (which is now cut open to allow fresh air to enter that area).

The restriction, if any, is all but gone with this mod. Perhaps Mike can put up a few pics on a job well done.

Wendell, Vince's car is pretty much stock with that intake only mod. Use his #'s as a reference to your car... with your torque figures being 140ish and above.
I still think this is Mike's intake limitation. Unless the hole was drilled into the last chamber where the air filter sits, you are limited by the stock air box's internal baffles that quiet the intake noise and rob power. Mike, just get the AEM! Or, if Jimmy would let you, borrow his for a dyno run (I have duct tape you can use to plug the holes you have to make in the fender wells/bumper ). No matter what you do to the stock air box, you are limited to Honda's design (internally). You should have at least popped off the cover of the air box and did a run.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:17 AM

Baffles? I don't got no stink'n Baffles.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Hey guys! I'm going to install the Vornado and then I'll toast ALL of your numbers!
muahahahahaha muahahahahaha!!!

Very interesting results indeed. It was great to see that Mike could turn around his numbers by doing a little 'home improvement' style mod to his car. Great DIY job Mike!

I wish we could have monitored the IAT's just to throw out one more possibility of variance. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day 11-13-04