Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

donuts on H3

Old 01-26-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default donuts on H3

I had the worst thing happen to me going to work on H3 on Thursday night. Right around the Kam exit, I hit a rain squall. The rear end hydroplaned a bit sliding to the left. Then I lost it to the right, spinning over 180 deg and hit my right rear on the guardrail. Thankfully no other cars were involved and I wasn't hurt, except for a sore neck. The worst part is obviously that my car is all mangled in the rear. I tried to post pics but I can't seem to add pics to the gallery.
Now the question is who do I take it to for repair? I don't want some shady body shop fixing it. I'd rather have a dealer who I should be able to hold more accountable if I have problems with it. It looks like it should just be cosmetic damage. How do I get it checked out to make sure there was no damage to the frame? Anyone have recommendations on who to take it to? Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:12 PM

Give Tomi at Autotech a call, sadly they've already had quite a bit of experiance fixing these cars, at least 4-5 that I'm aware of.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I got caught in a hellatious squall on the H-1 just past the H-1/H-2 split.....my "S" was not enjoying the inch/inch and half of water forming in the lane grooves....I hope everything works out well for you...keep us posted...
Old 01-27-2003, 10:14 AM

Very sorry to hear about your accident. I've heard so many stories from other S2k drivers about losing rear traction in the wet, I replaced my rear tires a little early.
I've seen the work that Autotech did on a smashed rear end of an S2k, and I couldn't even tell that it was previously damaged.

As for checking for frame damage; I read on another post on this forum a while ago, that you could roll your car through a little water in a straight line, and if your rear tires roll perfectly over your front tires tread mark, you're fine. I don't know if that's accurate or not though.

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Can I ask what condition your tires are in (how far are they worn down)? I'm almost at the wear bars on my rears, and traction in the dry really sucks right now. I'll be replacing them real soon.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:29 PM

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Sorry about the crash though

Seems like a common problem with the rear loosing traction on wet roads.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rstark
[B]Sorry to hear about your accident.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by smccurry

Rick, just to give you a starting point for pricing purposes... I just got my rear S02's from TireRack for $148 each. Total with shipping came out to $331.06

I also replaced them when I was ALMOST at the wear bars.
How many miles did you have when you replaced the tires?

And this is probably a dumb question, but what wear bars are you guys referring to?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by smccurry

Rick, just to give you a starting point for pricing purposes... I just got my rear S02's from TireRack for $148 each. Total with shipping came out to $331.06

I also replaced them when I was ALMOST at the wear bars.

Also, I got my tires mounted and balanced at Eurosport in about 30 min. (and old ones disposed) for a total cost of $47.92.
Thanks Stephen, I was going to ask you about that and you read my mind! So you just order off the web page and put Eurosport's address in for the delivery? PM me the details about how that works. When are we going to get together? Anyway, sorry for taking this off topic.

S2K in Paradise, let me know if you want a Hawaii badge added to your signature.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rstark
[B]
Thanks Stephen, I was going to ask you about that and you read my mind!

Quick Reply: donuts on H3