Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

COMPTECH CAI GB

Old 09-12-2004, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tru,Sep 10 2004, 05:22 PM
im still deciding comptech or aem. i have always had aem in all my cars and i love the sound. but im still not sure
Comptech = easy to install, good materials, easy to get to oil filter due to the increase in space under the hood. Not loud IMO, and doesn't require you to make any permanent changes to your car. No real danger of hydrolocking. This is the easiest CAI to install IMHO.

AEM V1 = more time required to install versus Comptech, has a power spike around 3500-3700 rpms, requires some cutting of the plastic panels to route the intake tube towards the passenger side of the car. Due to the proximity of the air filter, hydrolocking is a concern. Rick Stark and Joey Riveira had these intakes. Gains are proven and the sound is loud.

AEM V2 = install is similar to the V1 but requires more cutting due to the larger piping (much larger). No power spike like the V1, but the power delivery is more consistent, broader and linear. More power available at peak and the power at the VTEC transition is up by 3-4hp on my car. Sound growls deeper than the V1 and is just as loud in VTEC. Hydrolock risks are the same as the V1. This is what I currently use.

The other one not mentioned here is the Mugen which Steve has. It's a ram-style design that has no risk of hydrolock under natural causes. It's also the most expensive product available for the S2000. Materials and craftmanship match the exotic price, however it does require you to cut away a portion of the hood to clear the intake funnel. If I could afford this, I'd go for it.

A good mention is the snorkel type offered by Muz and Spoon. It still requires you to use the OEM airbox but replaces the horn by adding a scoop that grabs air near the radiator, a very high air pressure area while moving. What I've found was even though the pinch point where the snorkel is thinnest (which does restrict air somewhat), the best benefit is that it lowers IAT's (intake air temps) which was measured using a OBD2 scantool which allows the OEM ECU to keep more timing, allows for denser air and therefore more fuel to make power while moving.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by PAKS2K,Sep 10 2004, 11:07 PM
I'm going with the comptech for two reasons. The COMPTECH looks good. And I don't think the COMPTECH is loud compared to other CAI. I don't think I can handle a loud CAI with the MAGNAFLOW TI.
The Magnaflow single is super loud Bruce... I'd be surprised if you can hear anything (like the intake, stereo) regardless of what you get... LOL. You're soon going to join the ranks of the loudest cars on island.

Good luck with your project, I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your install or see it in person!

Old 09-12-2004, 03:54 AM

The stereo in the car sucks anyways I can never hear it on the highway with the top down. MAYBE I'll just use headphone and pretend its my earpiece from the cell phone (thats legal right?) Well I'm hoping the sound from the exhaust hides the clutch buzz at least.

One of the reasons that I want to get the comptech is because I don't want to have to wear earplugs when I drive the car. So I figured the magnaflow plus comptech CAI is = to someone with a different aftermarket exhaust and a CAI like AEM or something. At least this is what I keep telling myself.
PLUS IM GETTING THIS NICE TI SYSTEM FOR 700. Its was used for about 2 months from the other owner. I just hope I like the way it sounds.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:59 AM

I think your going to have to see this in person. Because if I remember correctly I think you already offered your services to me before I went TDY.

WHAT I'M REALLY SAYING IS I'M GOING TO NEED SOME HELP INSTALLING THIS. HOPEFULLY WHEN I GET BACK AROUND LATE NOV SOMEONE WILL BE AROUND TO HELP ME INSTALL THIS.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:07 AM

I'm down to help you Bruce. I have all the tools you'll need to properly do this kind of installation.

The Mag Ti is loud (like Steve kind of loud). AEM or not, the earplugs will be for the droning sound the exhaust will make. Even on my car, which I'll admit that it's a bit too loud for me sometimes, I can barely hear my CAI unless I VTEC. The clutch buzz is something no exhaust can hide... I can hear that clearly since I can even feel the vibrations coming into the cabin, through the gear shift, even the pedals.

May I suggest that you make friends with a local Honda dealership and have them change your oil (let them make some money off of you for example) and ask them nicely if they'd be cool enough to perform the TSB for the clutch buzz issue? Make friends with the technician or the shop manager/foreman. Otherwise, save up for a Comptech flywheel and ACT pressure plate on OEM discs!

Old 09-12-2004, 04:15 AM

thanks for the awesome writeup hyper-x! we can always count on you to bring in your extensive knowledge and technical insights! you're really making me want to get the AEM V2, but how does one muster the courage to cut up such a beautiful car? that's my only reservation with the AEM...
Old 09-12-2004, 04:31 AM

haha, thanks for the compliment 808style... I wouldn't go as far as saying I have "extensive" knowledge. I haven't had my car for very long compared to some of the old dogs here but I've done a lot of testing recently with borrowed equipment that allows me to confirm a few things every now and then.

The AEM V2 is a sweet intake, but it took a long time for me to install it (~4 hours) because I was afraid of cutting too much. My dremel tool helped a lot however I had to deal with a few vibration issues at certain rpms (because the intake tube touches the plastic underbody panels). It's an incredible intake and I get compliments from people who see it. I'll take a few pics of the install and post it here later in a seperate thread.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:01 AM

Well I ordered mine last night, i couldn't wait any longer.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:21 AM

LOL, I know the feeling... congrats!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:41 AM

Damn hyper-x did you even go to sleep last night or did you stay on this forum all night? I have an excuse why I was on this forum all night, whats yours?

I've been on this computer from 11pm until now 937am

Damn this was a hard day at work. lol

Quick Reply: COMPTECH CAI GB