Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Comin back to Hawaii (HNL) again

Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comin back to Hawaii (HNL) again

Hey, whats up?

I'm coming back to honolulu in a month to visit the gf's family and I needed recommendations for two restaurants.

First, what would be a good restaurant to take the gf for a romantic dinner? Cost is no object, but obviously a good deal wouldnt be turned away. I took her to La Mer last year and it was great. Should I go for this again?

Second, where should I go when I take out her family (mom, dad, and 15y.o. brother)? I dont want to take them any place too stuffy or expensive because they got the impression that I am filthy rich or something because I rented a Maserati last time I came and took their daughter out to La Mer. On the other hand, I dont want to take them somewhere that makes me look cheap...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:37 PM

romantic dinner...
i would have to say bistro in century center is like the nices resturant that i've ever been to. cause its really dark and private, and there is a guy playing the piano there, and the service is crazy good.

but if you wanna take her to a place where theres a nice view maybe like sorentos on the top of the ilikai hotel, or Aarons on the top of the Ala Moana hotel.

also mariposa at ala moana on a friday nite around 8 would be cool cause i think you could watch the fireworks together. prolly aarons and sorentos you could see it too.

or the best thing to do is order room service at Ihilani! in your private suite with its own indoor jacuzzi! woah!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM

A restaurant with a view is probably the way to go for romantic. If it's just you two (no parents), try Michel's in the Colony Surf hotel. Expensive, but great food and an epic view of the ocean.
Make sure to make your reservation for 6:30 so you can catch the sunset.

@sinfulangel: Those last two suggestions sound great too. Sounds like someone has been pampered.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM

I had lunch at Bistro last week. always excellent service and top notch food. It was renovated recently by a millionaire who couldn't find a traditional fine dining restaurant (everything had gone Pacific Rim or fusion). So he bought it, spent several million dollars on it and that's how it stands.

in addition, I've always had fine meals at L'uraku, Nick's Fishmarket, 3660 on the Rise, Longhi's ( which also has a decent view).

Good luck

BTW there are a couple of 360 Modenas for rent in Waikiki. They sound sooooo much better on the throttle than the maserati!!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 PM

zippys...or miki's in pearl city...

just kidding...i'd stick with what other people said...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

La Mer again with the gf or with the family for that matter. (my personal favorite)
and yea Mariposa has good mood to it.
does everyone like sushi?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife enjoyed Orchids on the Waikiki beach. A 5:30pm reservation for a beachside table gives you enough time to enjoy some lobster and a filet mignon as the sun sets on Waikiki. She also enjoyed the Star of Honolulu, not the lower buffet levels but the top level with dress attire, a champane toast with the ships captain, a private viewing area etc. For the whole family I'd go to Ruth's Chris in resturant row, best steak on the island. It's not cheap, but doesn't scream filthy rich.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by kent-k,May 9 2005, 10:51 PM
BTW there are a couple of 360 Modenas for rent in Waikiki. They sound sooooo much better on the throttle than the maserati!!
Are there any places other than Ferrari Adventures down by Niu street that rent 360's (or any other exotics)? Last year they told me I could rent the 360 when I came back this year, but now they have a new insurance provider and they won't let me
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM

what type's of food do these places above serve? I only get to go to Korean restraunts with the wife.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The places i mentioned: Orchids and the Star of Honolulu serve things along the lines of lobster, filet mignon, crab, and so on. Ruths Chris is a nice steakhouse with a variety.

Quick Reply: Comin back to Hawaii (HNL) again