Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Best sushi in Honolulu?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for dessert.... those molasadas... best doughnut i've EVER had.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 AM

$200 worth of sushi?! goddamn!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BENJMNS,Aug 11 2005, 07:19 PM
went to this joint last night. great sushi. did the chef's course meal and with a sake sampler, the girlfriend and i ended up eating $200's worth of pure sushi. kinda felt like soup nazi style.

well worth it!

i'm going to get the tomashiro (sp?) poke tomorrow to compare to ruger. Ruger was the best tuna i've never had in my life!

eating in honolulu... esp if you're into japanese, asian cuisine... plentiful!
Sasabune's sushi is very good, but I don't care for the soup nazi style at all and haven't been back. They think it's a novel idea to give attitude for service and only serve what they want to serve.
sushi
price
attitude
Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 PM

wtf is that? they charge an arm and a leg for frickin rice and fish and then they give you attitude about it? for that price i should get all the sushi my fatass can eat and a bj! [/rant]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:22 AM

I happened to receive great service from Sasabune.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 AM

first let me say... my wife is the biggest fan of sushi that i know of. and it is very important to keep the wife happy.

i have been to sasabune a total of 5 times now and each time i go it just gets better. yea yea the attitude gets old after awhile but damn that sushi is outtadisfrickinworld. i have had sushi in many places, los angeles, san francisco, taipei, tokyo, but hands down sasabune reigns supreme.

i do like sansei for some contemporary sushi and yanagi for some korean owner style sushi place. genki is the best in and out sushi place and also for take out. i dont like sushi man, kozo or catch of the day at all. my friday lunch is half-pound of shoyu ahi with a scoop of rice from foodland. four bucks dude, you just cant go wrong with that. kabuki in pearl city is okay and so is yohei in dilingham and add sushi king to this list of so so places to go. do not do todai for their sushi, worthless. i have done some of the fancy hotel places, just not for me.

if you like all you can eat then i say go to kats on king street. its right behind lexus dealer along cooke street. fish aint the best but the chef, ted is a great guy and the waitress, madonna is really nice. and its all you can eat. i only get temaki there no nigiri. always get the tobiko with every roll. i recommend the spicy unagi and scallop. yumm!

here is the kicker.... i have a new best price for best fish place to go. zippy's kahala or pearl city have sushi bars. i have to say it is the best for value. i would say it would be my favorite but i like sasabune for pure sushi, and kats for pure volume and nice people.

what i do when i go to a new place is always start with the chirashi. it gives a nice assortment of fish and you can control the amount of rice. there are some fish i prefer more rice and some i just dont do with rice. plus ordering the chirashi tells you a lot of the place your in. you can tell if they are generous about portions and type of sushi you get or how tight they are with their fish.

also, the type of shoyu they use can also change the taste of the shushi altogether. i find that aloha shoyu is sweeter than others, kikoman is very salty. and most importantly is the wasabi. you can tell wether is wasabi from a mix, paste, tube, or fresh from the root.

i know i got carried away, topic was about favorite sushi places and i went on a rant about how to eat sushi. hope you didnt mind.

ironically, i ran into joey rivera at kats sushi after about 5 years without seeing him. this was about a month after i bought my s2000. i saw him there and after we talked a bit he told me he bought an s2000. aparently he had tried to buy the car i ended up buying. he had to settle for another one over at pfluger.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM

great insight! thx. sasabune sushi was unlike any sushi i've ever had. truly savored every bite assuming it was great stuff.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:41 PM

I guess it's really subjective after all...
My wife is Japanese, and she said that Sasabune is the only place she's ever been to that serves the rice (on the sushi) warm. She can't eat all types of sushi either, so we got segregated to the tables even though the place was empty (can't eat at the counter unless you take whatever the master wants to serve you). She didn't like it at all.
I actually thought the sushi was excellent, and I can eat most sushi (except for hikari-mono like saba...) so if I could have sat at the counter and talked to the master while eating whatevers, it would have probably changed my experience.
Perhaps I'll try it again with you Chieh and sit at the counter this time. I'm sure the service there is better anyway and you don't have to think about ordering.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 PM

mitch's hands down.

awesome service, guaranteed the friendliest. how can you get fresher than a sushi bar adjacent to a fishmarket owned by the same person.

get the chef's sushi special and only the chef's sushi special.

start off with some lobster sashimi where they bring the lobster kicking and hack it up for you and you eat while twitching.... hey we are talking about REAL sushi right? then the best ogo/seaweed side i ever had. some abalone sashimi, all kinds of sushi, a dynamite that is awesome and clean tasting. huge hamachi side grilled. all followed by a miso soup with the leftover tail and legs. then capped off with a nice vegetable type of roll.

75 a head. make reservations. f' sasabune (went there 5+ times). yes, i love their squid w/ blue crab and the crab roll blah blah, but the rest is ho hum and boring except for the mediterranean blue fin tuna that will come out in about 1 month or so. but hey, mitch's has spanish blue fin tuna which is just as good.

steve if you wanna go, let me know. we went there twice already in the past 2 weeks.

ps. yohei is also nice with different selection. yuji knows us there because we have been there way over 10 times. but mitches is still waaay better.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bdrift,Aug 22 2005, 06:43 PM
mitch's hands down.
where is mitch's?

Quick Reply: Best sushi in Honolulu?