Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Barry Lai

Old 08-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barry Lai

no longer is he just a legend in his own mind.

He has taken top honors at todays autocross, and this time CURTIS LEE WAS THERE!!
For those that don't know, Curtis Lee was the resident autocross guru and has never lost an HRP autocross event for fastest-time-of-the-day for as long as I've been racing (well before that too).

Congratulations Barry! Now let's see if you can make it 2 in a row with Curtis there just to convince everyone that you're the new top dog. I'm thinking Curtis is on-line with TireRack to find a way to upgrade his tires right now...
Helluva fast run, and Curtis ran after you, so he knew what he had to beat and couldn't do it. That's incredible.

As for S2000's, we actually had a pretty nice turnout today. We had Marc (marc2), Mike (hawkdog), and Mark (Dr.M). Carlos also showed up, but we were already packing it up for the day.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM

heh heh. thanks. must've been the hidden nos.

i was squeezing the whole day.

b
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM

wow, what kind of car are you driving, is it a Miata, S, or Civic? Just curious
Old 08-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Just in case he doesn't stop back....he was driving a 240SX in SM. I was working the course when he came by and he was definitely flying through the course. He was the smoothest driver I saw through the section I was working.

Yesterday's course was fun, but it was one where you DEFINITELY needed r-compounds, and a proper auto-x setup. It was a fast course with lots of sweeping high-speed corners, including a lot of transitions, and the street tires just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed.....and I'm curious if it was as big of a difference on r-compounds.....on the section that was recently repaved near the gate, I had WAY more grip than anywhere else on the course. Did you guys with r-compounds notice this as well, or is that what it actually feels like to grip?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by hawkdog,Aug 15 2005, 01:46 PM
Just in case he doesn't stop back....he was driving a 240SX in SM. I was working the course when he came by and he was definitely flying through the course. He was the smoothest driver I saw through the section I was working.

Yesterday's course was fun, but it was one where you DEFINITELY needed r-compounds, and a proper auto-x setup. It was a fast course with lots of sweeping high-speed corners, including a lot of transitions, and the street tires just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed.....and I'm curious if it was as big of a difference on r-compounds.....on the section that was recently repaved near the gate, I had WAY more grip than anywhere else on the course. Did you guys with r-compounds notice this as well, or is that what it actually feels like to grip?
thanks. yeah, since selling my S, i only lurk here every so often.

funny, i was working the part before the crossover and said the same thing about your driving. you had very smooth driving inputs while still being aggressive. gonna be interesting if you keep it stock, but just add tires.

nah, inside the car, it is not smooth at all. my passengers felt the car sliding the entire way. maybe the car should get aligned since it was a drift car before and i messed with the height by raising it.

BTW. i drifted the chicane after the gate every run. could never get the car settled. is that where you were talking about? r compounds suck in that they get overheated very fast like after 1 run compound dependent.

b
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM

The part I meant was the slalom before the gate....they recently repaved that short straight (it may have been a few months ago). It just felt so much smoother and consistent than the rest of the course. I'm wondering if the smooth pavement is as noticeable on r-compounds as it was on street tires.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hawkdog,Aug 16 2005, 09:46 AM
The part I meant was the slalom before the gate....they recently repaved that short straight (it may have been a few months ago). It just felt so much smoother and consistent than the rest of the course. I'm wondering if the smooth pavement is as noticeable on r-compounds as it was on street tires.
damn. never felt it. my susp may have been too stiff seeing as it was still setup for drift and for sure i was losing the back end there too. maybe steve felt it. hopefully my runs got logged and i can match them up w/ curtis. slaloms suck in my car as it is not nimble like the miatas, s2's or coopers i often get crossed up.

if it felt like there was more grip there, it might have been the slower speed at that slalom vs the rest of the slaloms on the track.

b
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM

So Barry, when are you going to run for governor?

You gonna run the same set-up for next months event?
It's going to be a shoot out at the OK corral on Sept. 18!!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Aug 20 2005, 11:50 AM
So Barry, when are you going to run for governor?

You gonna run the same set-up for next months event?
It's going to be a shoot out at the OK corral on Sept. 18!!
haha. no way. i gotta get ftd in an awd now. then i got all platforms covered.

nah, i will make some changes like hopefully get alignment, well at least some neg camber since i wasn't running any. i gotta get my brakes working right because if you watch the video, you can see how long i was on the brakes before the crossover because they just slip. the reason is the master is undersized....(no snipping of words colin!!)

oh yeah and more power with a decent tune w/ better low end response.

but this is all after we have a private drift day at HRP this sat. i'm gonna set up a gymkana course again. that is some fun stuff. if you wanna go to burn tires or watch, then let me know. you'll probably only kill 1 rear pair for the day. the risk of damage is lower than autoX as it is just cones again and barely 2nd gear.

b