Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

AutoX Runoffs - Mar 6th

Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX Runoffs - Mar 6th

Well, the AutoX season has come to an end. The runoffs were a good time. Yesterday's course was interesting. When I walked it I thought I'd be flying through half of it in 3rd gear....it looked fast!!

I wasn't happy with any of my runs...something just wasn't right for me yesterday. I think I was trying to drive the course too hard since from my pre-race walk I had determined the track was faster than it actually was. (did that make sense?) I had one of the more embarrasing moments of the day when I spun at the 2nd turn right out of the start. Blechhhhh. I really could have used that 4th run. I ended up 17th OA, 13th PAX.

It was good to see Steve back out there with the copious amounts of rubber on his car. Once the mugenator gets dialed in, people should be afraid. Very afraid. Steve finished 6th OA, 14th PAX.

On a sad note, my lone competitor, Mark (in his AS Integra Type-R ), had to leave before the racing began. I heard he had a death in the family. Sorry to hear about that Mark, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hope to see you all out there next season!!! I need some competitors in A-Stock!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:13 AM

First of all, if that's true about Mark, my condolences go out to you. We all wondered where you went.

I'm also sorry that you had such a frustrating day Mike. I'll bet that you had a much better run coming up in the fourth run if there was one. Although the situation could have been more satisfying, congratulations on becoming the A-stock champion for 2004.

About the competitors in A-stock, how about buying kevs2's wheels and moving to ASP. I'm sure Andy Barnes would be happy to see you.

The story of the day was the lightweight pocket rockets. We've got to remember how this track was set up because it really seemed to neutralize hp. The Miatas, Minis, and Civics seemed to really shine this autocross. Barry Lai managed a best of 63.251 in his STi, and was running consistent runs in the 60.xx's with his Civic during fun-runs!!
Erik Tanaka won in FSP with his Mini. He's been competitive, and this track really gave him his breakthrough (not to take anything away from Erik. He really had the Eye of the Tiger in him that day and drove his car like he stole it ). Daniel Libutti would have beaten me with a run in the 62.xx's if he hadn't clipped a cone (he barely hit it, so it didn't save him any time).

The new set-up on my car really felt good so I was pleasantly surprised. I was apprehensive at first, thinking that it might end up being a test-and-tune day for me, but the rubber stuck, and the balance was even and predictable. I managed to get runs in the 62's and even one at 61.451 in the fun runs, but everyone gets a little faster with an additional 4 runs after an event.
I'm looking forward to the next event in April.
Hope to see more of you there next time.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:00 PM

I thought the course was a blast, with the exception of the cross-over, which was impossible to navigate with any sort of flow. During the fun runs I found I could carry quite a bit more speed through the first section leading to the Chicago box, which I think accounted for a big part of my faster times during the afternoon. That and just skipping past cones really makes the times drop!

Barry's times in the morning weren't in his STi, they were in someone else's Mini Cooper S (since there were like 453 Minis there, I'm not sure whose it was). He was definitely kicking himself that he didn't just drive the Civic for the Run Offs. I think he got down to a 60.6xx in the Civic in the afternoon.

I only managed to drop down to a 60.7xx in the 1st session of fun runs, so Barry "beat" me then. After working the 2nd hour, I did a few more runs in the 3rd hour (which I hadn't planned to do). I managed to crack off a 59.6xx (I think with a cone or two) followed by a 59.4xx (which I'm pretty sure was clean). Meanwhile, Curtis had dropped a clean 57.2xx during the 2nd hour and a dirty 56.sumthin.

I'm tentatively planning to have the Mustang ready for the April 3rd event, and will then bring the Legacy back out for the FTD battle on May 1st. Definitely looking forward to both events.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:11 AM

shoot! That's right! Barry was running a Mini
Well... he still wishes he ran his Civic.

I agree, the track was a blast except for the crossover with the weird "z" shaped turn. A lot of spin outs at the place where I laid the course though (the slalom following the triangle right before the finish).
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 AM

dammit stop rubbing it in!!!!!

haha. it doesn't mean i would've driven like that when it counted with the civic but it sure would've been easier. the mini was on his old 700's he brought for randy, but when randy was a no show he asked me if i wanted to drive, not knowing it wasn't his 710's til after the tech card was turned in.

it kinda is a testament to nimbleness as the mini even with bad traction had a 61.7 and then a cone on the second run, but that was slow through the course, it just turns nice and easy, not like my suby, civic or 240. if i could throw the civic tires on the mini, it would be a fast car or even with his 710's he normally uses. probably 60.0 without trying and 59 or LESS with a better driver. the mini is a fast car due to its ability to turn and accelerate at the same time, yes in a FF. my civic plows.

the 60.6 was due to always waving to the guys at the crossover EVERY fun run. i can't help it, its my drifting heritage.

woohoo.......MAY solo2....FTD battle!!! is there a way to setup odds??? i would take pat as a guarantee, but maybe curry, garret or myself since we get way better odds. wheee..... gotta see who is making the track...if it is jon, i am taking the suby!!

steve. i pm'ed back about the seats.

b

Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by smccurry,Mar 8 2005, 06:13 AM
About the competitors in A-stock, how about buying kevs2's wheels and moving to ASP. I'm sure Andy Barnes would be happy to see you.

All S2000's are in BSP for 2005. I don't want to go there.

I was thinking about ordering a front sway bar.....does anyone on the island have any experience with any of the options out there? (Saner, Gendron, Comptech, Others?)
Old 03-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by hawkdog,Mar 13 2005, 09:16 AM
All S2000's are in BSP for 2005. I don't want to go there.

I was thinking about ordering a front sway bar.....does anyone on the island have any experience with any of the options out there? (Saner, Gendron, Comptech, Others?)
Hyper-X has the Comptech. He swears by it.
What do you mean all S2000's are in BSP?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:38 PM

modded s2k's go into BSP...or hawkdog, just go into SM...