Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Autocross July 4th Impressions

Old 07-18-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smccurry,Jul 18 2004, 09:01 AM
What do you do to the urethane bushings to keep them from squeaking anyway? Do we wanna know?
It took a while to figure it out (so I won't post the solution directly here... ) but PM's are ok if you want the solution.

I'll say this much, the first step to solving the problem is to NOT follow Comptech's instructions on the install of the bushings (since they don't make the bushings themselves). A call to the manufacturer of the bushings led me into the right direction, as a matter of fact they were puzzled by Comptech's recommendations.

One of the major materials you will need is a tube of Dow Corning non-curing heavy-duty silicone (if you think Shin-Etsu is expensive, the Dow Corning stuff will take you by surprise).
Old 07-18-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Jul 18 2004, 06:37 PM
It took a while to figure it out (so I won't post the solution directly here... ) but PM's are ok if you want the solution.

I'll say this much, the first step to solving the problem is to NOT follow Comptech's instructions on the install of the bushings (since they don't make the bushings themselves). A call to the manufacturer of the bushings led me into the right direction, as a matter of fact they were puzzled by Comptech's recommendations.

One of the major materials you will need is a tube of Dow Corning non-curing heavy-duty silicone (if you think Shin-Etsu is expensive, the Dow Corning stuff will take you by surprise).
Jimmy Jimmy, you are so resourceful!
Now I've just got to come up with the scratch to purchase the sway bar. $700 is awfully expensive!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet wheels on the Berlina what kind are they?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Jul 30 2004, 03:59 PM
Sweet wheels on the Berlina what kind are they?
Thanks.
Those are the SSR Type-C's
Old 09-11-2004, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by IMP,Jul 14 2004, 07:48 AM
Guy holding up hand in the hat. I recognize that very pale skin anywhere.... Pat Olsen, right? (aka: Legacy Flip Video at Lime Rock... that was him)

Tell him "KC says Hi".

(It'll blow his mind)

Don't tell him how tho. (He's from Connecticut and moved out there a couple years ago)

--KC
Ha! For a national champion, you sure are stoooopid, Keith! That's actually my equally-pale brother, Mike, along with his wife (both of whom I've gotten addicted to this silly little thing called auto-x racing in the past 6 or 8 months).

One of the S2K guys mentioned at the August 29th event that "some guy from New England said to say, 'Hi!' but I can't remember what his name was." I went to sea the next day, so I didn't have a chance to find the thread until today. I should have known it was, you, KC.

I'm glad I found this Forum, it'll give me some place to come and stroke my ego as I read about the S2K drivers trying to catch my innocent, 135,000-mile, 195hp, 4-door Subaru family sedan.

Pat Olsen
#28 SM
Old 09-11-2004, 02:48 AM

Glad to see you here Pat. Welcome to our home.

You're on top now... which is good to see a rather unusual car in that position (mostly due to the driver of course), however give it time... mods don't come cheap on our cars so you have no threat from me, being on completely stock OEM suspension on OEM wheels, with only R compounds... if I can save my nickels, I'll put it into suspension and see if I can at least come within arms reach of your butt.

I'm glad that we closed the gap between Curtis and the rest this past event... I feel that we may've possibly discovered a weakness in his car based on the times posted by all the Z drivers.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:30 AM

No wonder we're having trouble, we have national caliber competition in the house!!
So much the better. I will beat your 4-door family sedan when I STRIP MY INTERIOR!

My main focus will be to remain aggressive after my car gets fixed and repainted. I'll keep your Legacy in mind to keep me from becoming a pussy-driver.

All kidding aside, it's great to see you in here Pat. I actually like the fact that the dominant drivers are in a 240Z and a Legacy. It goes to show you how important driving skill and balanced set-up are to being successful in auto-x. Not just raw HP. I am continuing to work on both
Old 09-11-2004, 01:24 PM

You're on top now... which is good to see a rather unusual car in that position (mostly due to the driver of course), however give it time... mods don't come cheap on our cars so you have no threat from me, being on completely stock OEM suspension on OEM wheels, with only R compounds...
Oh, trust me, I'm worried about a few of you guys that are getting consistently closer and closer. But, I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Not much, unfortunately, but I'm gonna try out a couple new tires (the Kumho V710s and Avon Tech Rs), and I'm seriously thinking of doing a Quaife front diff to pull the car out of corners better.

I'm glad that we closed the gap between Curtis and the rest this past event... I feel that we may've possibly discovered a weakness in his car based on the times posted by all the Z drivers.
...until one reads on the forumshawaii board that he took another 2 seconds off his times in fun runs. Yikes!

My main focus will be to remain aggressive after my car gets fixed and repainted. I'll keep your Legacy in mind to keep me from becoming a pussy-driver.
Definitely a shame to see a pretty car get dinged up like that, so I hope the repairs turn out OK. It really is a shame we're restricted to such a crappy facility where such things can happen. Having driven my roommate's S2K a bit, I know how "on edge" the cars are - I'm sure you guys could be significantly faster in an open parking lot where you wouldn't be so worried about "what if I lose it?". I'm lucky in the that the Legacy is (IMO) very easy to drive fast - I haven't had a single "moment" at all the events since I moved out here. When I get my Mustang out there to play around I'll definitely have to be more circumspect with my driving.

Pat
Old 09-12-2004, 02:12 AM

Yes, I am curious about the 710's so I'll be looking forward to some feedback from you, if you don't mind.

I was able to clip off 1 second off my times in the fun runs with a passenger with the course setup without "faults", however I need to learn how to make it count when it counts/matters most, during 1 of the 4 runs.

Keep kicking ass in your Legacy Pat, it's a very humbling experience nonetheless, and makes for a juicy reward to eventually beat you... when the time comes, but I'm afraid not anytime soon. It's because of guys like you that I quickly learned to dump all of my preconceived notions of certain cars and eliminated all prejudice towards any car regardless of what they are.

I'm hoping that we have enough T&T people participating... I need some time to figure out some of the basics, and need to make friends with someone who has a Geez Cube so I can get more accurate data.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Hyper-X,Sep 12 2004, 05:12 AM] Keep kicking ass in your Legacy Pat, it's a very humbling experience nonetheless, and makes for a juicy reward to eventually beat you... when the time comes, but I'm afraid not anytime soon.