Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Autocross at HRP Oct. 26th Sunday

Old 10-23-2003, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You distract Colin while I let a little more air out of the tires when he's not looking. Wait, that's not gonna work either because he's driving your car Steve... dammit.

I guess we're going to have to try and beat him the hard way... the honest way.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:55 PM

Apart from the heatstroke, today was a lot of fun. I was on a cone massacre rampage. I HATE THOSE LITTLE ORANGE THINGS!!

I haven't seen the offical results yet, but it appears that Colin has reclaimed his top position. Well, for ASP anyway, and also gets the S2000 throne.

Jimmy wins the "most-spectacular-run" category, getting his fastest time of the day crossing the finish line backwards
I'm going to have to call you "showtime" from now on hotdog

For me, it's back to the drawing board. I liked the way the car handles with the camber/caster changes, but the tires are definitely taxed. It's time for more grippy rubber.

Oh, btw, did anybody talk to that guy in the red S2000? We were so busy working the track or running the heats, we forgot to go say hi to the guy. (oops!) I hope he comes back next month, or better yet, drives the next time.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:13 PM

Well I didn't do so good this time... hitting cones were inevitable in some cases and the track designers are getting more crafty with deceptive layouts.

My best run was the one with the spectacular spinout towards the end. I stalled the engine facing the wrong way, spun a 180 and finished with a 58.774 without hitting any cones. That run felt great but I payed for it by going into the last section too hot, oversteered and put on a unplanned show for the score table.

During the fun runs, I was able to achieve a low 54 second run not missing any sections and without hitting any cones (with my friend as my shotgun). I think that a solid 55 second run was possible but I couldn't pull it off during the normal heat. This is one of those situations where I wished that I got to do a re-run.

Colin is the S2000 champ , and I think you beat me too Steve. We need more autocross driving experience IMO. Jayson with his M3 on normal tires beat me out for my category so I lost everywhere. The WRX guys were kicking butt with some real aggressive tail whips to get that AWD car to come around some of the course's tight sections. BTW Colin, thanks again for the tips and help for managing my tires.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:50 PM

The track layout was unique like any other month, but due to my lack of experience... I couldn't recognize the idea behind the layout's scheme until it was too late. The course went downhill in a counter-clockwise manner. It started on the back stretch and ended near the skidpad circle.

The beginning was purposely designed to take off speed with 12-15 pace slaloms, but the mid section was clearly fast but with an added bonus of a unique "box" which looked like a pit stop but was tight as hell. The trickiest part was the section after the off camber going into flats which went into a very slow section which deceptively looks like something you could carry speed through. But...

I noticed during my work heat that the more experienced drivers (minus Curtis Lee) slowed down in that last section, made the turn then pushed hard out to finish. I did just the opposite, as I dove into it Kamikaze style going in way too hot, lost the rear and it was miraculous that I didn't DNF or hit any cones. Actually, Curtis also went in too hot during his 1st run, but he made that corner but knocked over 2-3 cones after that.

As stupid as it may sound, these are the important lessons I learned today.

1. Having more power isn't as important as knowing how and when to use what you have.

2. Having race rubber doesn't make me Superman. I can't just fly into corners thinking the car
has infinite grip.

3. Identify the extremes of the course if I'm not good enough to identify the rest. I need to find out where I can use speed to my advantage and where I need to use caution much earlier in the runs. It currently takes me until the 3rd or 4th run to figure things out... obviously, this is way too long.

4. Being in 1st gear and limited to 45mph is faster than being in 2nd and trying to push below VTEC. I've tried this a number of times now and I can finally say IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. I need to be in VTEC in order to achieve my best times.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:51 PM

you forgot, remember to check the entry clipboard for your previous month's 1st place magnet. b
Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bdrift
you forgot, remember to check the entry clipboard for your previous month's 1st place magnet.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 PM

no, my first run was a 53.xxx all the way through the timers perfectly and stopped before the gate next to the person giving the times. they said 53.xx so i drove on and then the announcer said DNF. i drove around the right side of the gate AFTER the timer. freaking micky mouse nothing to do with a run gimmick. no one even told me where it happened until my 2nd run. oh well. i did get a 52.xxx + 51.250 on fun runs on a serious attempt (with a new idea that worked beyond my expectations) so i am anxious about next month. i basically know how to make the race rubber turn now without throwing the car. the v700s hindered me from making turns during the regular runs. now i can turn easy. whee. b
Old 10-27-2003, 06:40 PM

holy crap! nice times. you're only about 2 seconds behind Curtis now.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:10 PM

Yeah Barry... it seems that you've found an easier way to get that STI to come around. Moving the torque more biased towards the rear will result in a FR-like driving experience. Since it's not fully 100% to the rears, you still have some traction up front to help deal with hairy situations.

Well, being able to beat Bdrift is going to be harder now since he's already comfortable with the huge increase in power from the STI and having experience driving an S2000 gives him the ability to handle the new settings comfortably. The STI is a great car... but it has to have its weaknesses, dammit!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:01 AM

it will never be as nimble and light as a s2 though. less weight = less need for wider tires. i'd have to run at least 245's to match that part. just remember what joey's car was capable of last month. now that was pretty damn fast.

smccurry. that is unofficial fun run times, so add a 1-1.5 seconds. i just gotta do it now. wheee. b

Quick Reply: Autocross at HRP Oct. 26th Sunday