Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Autocross at HRP November 29

Old 12-01-2003, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

We never talked between runs, but if you had told me that you felt the car was loose, I would have dumped more air sooner. I was bleeding off 2lbs at a time, and if I knew what I know now, I'd have dumped 5-6 lbs. after my first run!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smccurry
The tires definitely made a difference IMO, but Colin thinks they weren't fully broken in yet (there was about 30 miles on them). The car was also running extremely loose...
Perhaps the cloud cover kept the track cooler than normal, therefore keeping the victoracer's out of their prime operating temperature. Immediately after a run, I measured the tire temps with Colin's pyrameter at 120
Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin
Steve,
Old 12-01-2003, 12:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X
Old 12-01-2003, 01:24 AM

That sounds like how I drive. If you've carefully watched my runs, you'll notice that I tend to slide very often... perhaps now you understand why. The back section IMHO was meant to be driven slower than the first. I slowed down, slipped the tires just a bit and knocked off over a second. The last triangle was the hardest of the 3 IMO.

Since I don't have a coilover suspension and haven't tested one at its limits, I can't be sure what it'll do for you. Naturally, increasing the spring rates and compression will do wonders (like aid with controlling brake induced nose dive). Controlling rebound is important since that'll determine if your ride becomes smooth or too lively after loading the suspension during hard cornering. I'd talk to Joey or Mike Friedman and get their impressions since they have experience with the Tein RS and have tested it hard during autocross.

My GTI had an archaic form of adjustable suspension and it was near impossible to find the best settings to use during autocross without a test and tune day. What I didn't count on was the increased amount of tuning required to get the car running at its best. Finding the right tire pressures can be tricky, but until you find the optimal suspension setting, the tire pressures you found that worked best for you (on stock footwork) may not be ideal with aftermarket suspension. For most, 6 runs should be more than enough to find those settings.

I dunno if Joey has an upgraded front sway bar but assuming my Saner comes in sometime this year, I'll be sure to post my impressions on its effectiveness.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:38 AM

I forgot to mention... the addition of the front sway bar doesn't really have anything to do with staying in stock class. Even if it were allowed, I don't see myself using a stiffer rear sway bar. Most cars tend to understeer so they want to do something that helps bring the rear end around, like adding a stiffer rear bar (obviously the S2k has no trouble in that department).

This is just my impressions but the S2000 is plenty fast, but the tuning approach Honda took with the car was done with OEM equipment. Now that we've altered/improved the grip department and now have different track widths on top of that, the factory settings may not be enough to keep things under control so something needs to be changed. Here's my crude thoughts...

If the S2000 in factory trim oversteers, then I'd describe it's condition as...

oversteer +1 (tends to oversteer a bit)

Now that the car has race rubber (and using the same factory alignment), I'd say that the car is...

oversteer +2.5 (car is loose)

So as you can see, I need to either decrease oversteer or increase understeer to help balance things out. That's why I think most people choose the front sway bar option, but that's just a theory of mine.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 PM

damn those turns. all i can say is F N cone!!!

good running steve. yep, tires didn't want to hook up at all. it was a literal drift session with one arm giving elliot loo a shaka as i counter steered and then swung the car around for the next turn with one hand.

b
Old 12-02-2003, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bdrift
damn those turns.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bdrift
it was a literal drift session with one arm giving elliot loo a shaka as i counter steered and then swung the car around for the next turn with one hand.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 AM

hyper-x, i tried multiple variations and i think i should've left it on auto. actually, the way the course layout changed from the 1st half to 2nd half really messed me up. set to the rear in the first half, and then right after the 1/8th mile turn, switch it to auto and that would've been great. but you cannot change on the fly while getting wheelspin. so i never got the last half of the course even close to correct. i guess it is time for alignment. evo settings.

haha. smccurry. i had too much drift programmed into my head from wednesday when i crashed my 240 at the drift event. i may have been trying to throw the back around in the sti. oh well, good running b

Quick Reply: Autocross at HRP November 29