Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Autocross at HRP November 29

Old 11-27-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross at HRP November 29

Once again, it's time to test your skills and try out the new equipment you've bought for your car. Last month Colin was on top followed by Steve and I. Steve's got new tires/wheels so he has more grip plus the power advantage... it'll be something to watch for.

This month's schedule is as follows...

SOLO II: November 29 SATURDAY Hawaii Raceway Park
Heat 1: ASP, BSP, CSP, DSP
Heat 2: ESP, FSP, All Modified
Heat 3: All Prepared, STS, SM
Heat 4: All Stock

See you guys there!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:11 AM

What time was it again?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by smccurry
What time was it again?
The same ol' time. Most guys start filtering in around 8am. I'll be there around 8:45. The first heat usually starts around 9:30 but may start sooner, depending on track setup times.
See you there dude!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:38 PM

Well... the rain threatened all day, but never came. Or did it? Colin and I left around 1:30
I don't know the official results, but have learned to not expect anything until they come out. I do know that my car was slip sliding a lot, which I thought was curious since I added so much more rubber all around. I remember reading in the racing forums how it's normal to experience tremendous oversteer when upsizing to r compound rubber and increasing size and not getting a larger front sway bar. Maybe this will cure the tail happiness.
Despite the s2000 doing better in tighter courses, I enjoyed the faster nature of today's course set-up. The ending quarter of the track was a real challenge for me today. I didn't take it cleanly all day and probably left around 2 seconds there.
I think the set-up should have favored the higher horsepower STi's, however, they did have some sections that I think would have given them fits of understeer. I'm anxious to see how the rest of the field fared.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:46 PM

Wow, awesome job for Stephen. He uncorked a devilishly good time of 60.666 to take ASP honors, and finish 5th overall (out of 68 drivers). It was my turn to "cone" and my best time was only a 61.646 good for 12th overall. Jimmy rounded out the S2000 contingent with a 63.207 good for 24th overall.

Funny thing was that both Stephen and I felt our runs were pretty shabby. My best run was my first, and I followed it up with a DNF and two slower runs with cones! Stephen got his DNF out of the way first, and followed it up with three runs very consistantly with his best in his third run. Once we get our handling sorted out with the Kumho tires, maybe we can look to close the gap to the top 3. Of course I'll be happy to get into the top 10 next month.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:00 AM

Wow! Is that official? Where did you get the results? How did Jimmy do in BS?
How did Andy Barnes do? How did we fare against the scooby'do's? Enquiring minds want to know!

I'm surprised considering how much I left on the table. Even after four runs I didn't manage to memorize the final section of the track. I know every good autocrosser can have the course set-up memorized from the first run!
[:searchingformemoryperformancedrugs/:]
Old 11-30-2003, 12:25 AM

Wow, you 2 did great and 5th OA for Steve!

I didn't fair too well as I was having major traction problems due to a slightly damp course, however I managed to compensate somewhat by altering my tire pressures and my driving technique. My attack strategy is normally very aggressive as I'm known to slide my car all over the place and that technique didn't/won't work on this month's layout and weather conditions. Any slip angle from my tires meant bad news... and I'm not used to driving with total 100% grip.

As I quickly found out, the 2nd section beyond the crossover was faster when I slowed my pace down big time... I was almost cruising it and dropped a few seconds on my time without hitting a cone. As my second run would indicate, I spun the car again. I know there was a full second to be shaved there if I had "1 extra run" to fine tune the exact speed to take it with.

Without altering my alignment to make use of the R compounds, I don't see how I can drive much faster... but I can't align my car properly without installing a stiffer front sway bar first. The tire wear pattern indicates a car with positive camber and the inside half of the tire is almost brand new. I've come to this conclusion, if the S2000 is known for having mild oversteer, then my current setup has severe oversteer, made worse with the Kuhmos on OEM alignment. Now, where is that &%$! front sway bar I ordered almost 2 months ago???
Old 11-30-2003, 01:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smccurry
Wow! Is that official? Where did you get the results? How did Jimmy do in BS?
How did Andy Barnes do? How did we fare against the scooby'do's? Enquiring minds want to know!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:33 PM

Damn Steve (and you too Colin), both of you guys did absolutely great! Now it's my turn to say...

"those tires really made a difference huh?"

Good job! Let's do this again next month (hopefully without any rain).
Old 11-30-2003, 11:58 PM

The tires definitely made a difference IMO, but Colin thinks they weren't fully broken in yet (there was about 30 miles on them). The car was also running extremely loose...
Perhaps the cloud cover kept the track cooler than normal, therefore keeping the victoracer's out of their prime operating temperature. Immediately after a run, I measured the tire temps with Colin's pyrameter at 120

Quick Reply: Autocross at HRP November 29