Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Autocross HRP May 29th

Old 05-29-2004, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross HRP May 29th

It really sucks not having Jimmy here.
On top of having to start the thread and do the recap, I have to resort to sabotaging my own team-mate with a water bottle to avoid being slowest S2000 of the day!

I'm just ribbing you Jimmy.

All kidding aside, you missed out on some serious fun today! This has got to be the most enjoyable course to date. Very VERY FAST!

You really had to have some balls to take your car to the limit today. I know I left some time on the track, but I did spin-out on my last run, so I know I wasn't exactly pussy-footin' either.

Course started the end of the quarter mile and utilized the cross-over finishing by the staging area for the quarter mile.

There was the normal kink at the start to avoid crazy burnout madness, followed by a lengthy straight leading to the right where there was a bending path (shifting to 3rd gear by the exit of first path), then a path to the left, to the right, and to the left again. There was quite a bit of distance between these paths as I was in 3rd gear almost all the way!

This led to large boxes of cones on the left, and then right (which essentially made them a large slalom as you didn't enter the boxes), and you were upon the cross-over where you clipped the apex and shot uphill hugging as far to the right as possible since you wanted to enter both of the triangles (in series) to the right side. gate to the left, 5 cone slalom, another triangle, 2 gates close together and bending sharp left (guard shack) another series of gates, followed by short slalom and you were faced with the off-camber which was made more challenging by coning off the right side of the track forcing you to hug the inside of the turn. Going downhill now, you had to negotiate a few more gates (left, right, left, right, left) but the line angle was mild so you could pretty much go full throttle through to the finish line after the first 2 gates.

Don't yet know the results, but when we left, FTD was Curtis with a low 47.0XX time. Jen didn't yet run, but I'm sure she kicked ass too. Gene Van Orman beat his son by about .5 seconds at 48.377!! (go pops!!)

After reviewing video, Colin and I again saw points on the track where he was faster, and other points where I was faster. That means neither of us are extracting the full potential of my car, which makes me happy since that means we really do have a chance at making substantial progress in our attempts to get FTD.

Thanks to Mike for coming out to cheer us on today! Hope to see you again next week.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Scratch the comment on Curtis' time. His last run he ripped a 46.152!!
This is starting to look like the current situation in Formula 1.
Michael Schumacher way out in front, with everyone else fighting for the scraps!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:28 AM

Wow, nice write up Steve!

The results based on the figures would indicate that it was a very tight race between the upper-middle of the pack. Once again you've shown that the black S2000 is the one to beat. Panos and Avery are terrors in their Miatas and I've got to find a way to step it up a bit. My co-driver is going through the woes of learning how to drive a car that uses a hi-cam and I'm still salty from being beaten by Francis in my own car.

What's with BS with Jayson getting bested by a G35??? Was it that the car was better or was it that the G35 was equipped better? I'm guessing the latter since I know Guzman has mad skills.

Well, it's going to be another great weekend since June autocross is just around the corner!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Hyper-X
I'm still salty from being beaten by Francis in my own car.
Just conveniently place a bottle of water under your front seat that will pop out and roll under your brake pedal during Francis' run and he'll be sure to lose...

[QUOTE]What's with BS with Jayson getting bested by a G35???