Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Advice from HI locals please.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istdercollen@hotmail.com,Jul 24 2008, 08:49 PM
As far as your car. It's going to cost over 1000 dollars to ship it here.. it culd be MUCH more
I would count on it costing much more at the moment. I just spent $1500 shipping another Ducati down here from Michigan. I would imagine shipping a car from the easter part of the country would cost at least $2K.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 AM

Thank you guys for the info. We would definately be making a drive to Cali with our stuff when we ship over, I wouldn't dream of leaving from here.

So I guess it'll just come down to whether or not I could find work substantial enough to support myself. That's the only thing I'm worried about, apart from that, our minds are made up. That's where I want to be.

Everything I hear about the people that live there is all good. Aparently there aren't as many grumpy people as there are here. Looking forward to that.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely think twice about dropping everything to leave without a job setup. It seems both you and your fiance are in a transition period at this point about to finish school.

The job market isn't the best here, however with both of your careers, you should be fine. However I would suggest applying and at least securing one of you with a job. I'm assuming it would be you first, since it sounds like your fiance wants to continue her education in Hawaii.

As someone said above, you will NOT find a place to rent for $870/month. A room? Possibly... You'll be amazed how many unexpected costs are going to arise after moving. Imagine the worse case scenario, where you both are jobless, already moved there, in a financial bind, and can't afford the wedding? Would you regret it? Try to take care of as many things as you can before moving... that's all I'm saying.

I've lived in Hawaii all my life and have moved back and forth between California and here a few times. I've shipped 4 cars back and forth... three times with CSX lines, the most recent was sending a car back to Hawaii from Oakland port Horizon lines. I never had any damage whatsoever.

That's why they do the pre-inspection before they take your car... if something comes up that wasn't on the inspection paper before, then they pay for it.

As far as everything being all good... that's hard to say. There's definitely a strong island spirit (aka aloha spirit) for the island folk. There are still the occasional moments where ppl will still consider anyone not from Hawaii a haole mainlander, and you won't get the same treatment. But the longer you stay, you'll begin to blend right in. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM

I moved from San Diego to Hawaii about 9 months ago. I found it hard at first to get employement, but that is how it is for the whole U.S. right now. Food is a bit more expensive here than say cali... but everything else is cheaper. Hawaii is different and it isnt exactly what you read or hear.

Its a lot different living here than it is visiting here, some good and some bad. One thing for sure is nothing beats the people here, they're the nicest you'll ever meet.

Warm tropical rain, beautiful beaches, great food and everything is so green here.... an dthen you hit the harsh reality of the crappy roads, the horrible traffic and it kinda evens out.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by beanolo,Jul 25 2008, 04:47 AM
There are still the occasional moments where ppl will still consider anyone not from Hawaii a haole mainlander, and you won't get the same treatment. But the longer you stay, you'll begin to blend right in.
It definitely helps if you appear to be of Asian descent. For me, it is very easy to tell that I come from Anglo/Slavic (I know, odd mix) bloodlines, so I had the "outsider" handicap working for me. Luckily though, I lived in Europe for seven years before coming here and had always prided myself at not behaving like the "typical American". At the end of the day, it all comes down to how you interact with other people. Come down here and show your ass and you will be treated accordingly. Treat and deal with others with the respect you would like to be shown in return and it will most likely happen.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Yeah Georgia born and raised, am as white as they come. But I wouldn't label myself an average American because thats what I want to get away from. There seems to be a lot of self-centered jerks all around me and I just don't get it. I let everyone into traffic and stuff I just never see the favor returned.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM

you should take a trip out for a job hunt or search craigslist for work
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by alphaproject,Jul 25 2008, 03:02 PM
you should take a trip out for a job hunt or search craigslist for work
I agree. It's kind of irresponsible to come over here and expect to find a job just like that without any friends or family locally for financial support.

Living here and visiting here are 2 separate ideas. I know you had freakin' awesome time as a tourist going down Waikiki, eating a Don Ho's, watching Luau's, etc.. But, this ain't everyday living for most people.

Alot of renter people work 2+ jobs making ends meat because pay sucks.

Visit again first before committing. We don't need more broke-ass haoles in the island (frankly) driving up rent, then moving back to the mainland because there ain't good opportunityes.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by addisonc,Jul 25 2008, 03:43 PM
We don't need more broke-ass haoles in the island (frankly) driving up rent, then moving back to the mainland because there ain't good opportunityes.
That's one way to put it.

Also, hope you like spam. Cuz on the broke days you might find you two eating a couple 7-11 musubis pretty regularly.

And yes, showing asian descent does help. I didn't feel any racism until I left Hawaii for the mainland, there is a different catagory here, island folk, and mainland. That's it, doesn't matter what race, color whatever you are.

As long as you are a laid back person in general, and understand everyone here is on Hawaii time (late), then eventually you should be more accepted over time. Not EVERYONE is like this, but alot of locals are, like mentioned above, visiting and living is quite different.

Also if you ship your car.. change your plates ASAP so ppl don't automatically classify you as an ass with the mainland plate.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Good luck in your move to Hawaii.

As far as employment is concerned, don't worry I'm sure you'll find something to hold you over temporarily until you get on your feet. Look at it this way, if your competition for employment possesses the same grammar and spelling skills exhibited in this thread you're already well ahead of the game

Quick Reply: Advice from HI locals please.