Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Advice from HI locals please.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from HI locals please.

My fiance and I are going to be graduating next year and we plan to start saving up to move to Hawaii.

Is this a bad idea? I hear its a good bit more expensive to live over there. Is that true? She is reading that the sea salty air ruins cars so I shouldn't bring my S....I really don't think thats the case.

It seems like the car scene is pretty big in HI, am I right about that?
Would it be damn near impossible to find work over there or would I be straight?

Does anyone have any helpful info to share with me?

I know this isn't an S2000 related topic, but I think I'd rather hear about this stuff from this crowd.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM

it depends what kind of job you're interested in.
it also depends what you would consider expensive, i think it's all relative. i mean..if you were moving here from san diego or something, the cost of living is just as high. so you kinda gotta throw out some apples if you wanna compare.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM

yo wut up man! Hawaii is awesome!!! haha

i agree with elicit dreams with the whole depends on what you think is expensive, but honestly it is a bit expensive to live out here. but i think worth it.

as far as the salt in the air its not a big deal only if you live on the beach or always go to the beach but im assuming your not going to be taking your S to the beach very often. but if you do its nothing that a quick wash or even rinse will take care of.

the car scene down here is awesome! the S2000 community is very cool. we all try to help each other out and everyone is really friendly. only down fall is that we dont have a race track. =(

as far as work it kinda depends on what you do. im sure the mainland would have a bit more opportunity but on the up side your gonna be living in HAWAII!! haha

hope this is a little helpful. and im sure others will give you a lot of helpful tips and info.

it would be cool to have another S on the island too... good luck with your decision!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm glad to see such a quick response!

I live just north of Atlanta, GA. and my rent in my one bedroom apt. is $870 per month.

As for work, Im a criminal justice major so I figure after putting some time in over here, it might be somewhat easy to fall into something anywhere I go.

My fiancee is working on her nursing degree and apparently Hawaii has one of the best medical colleges around, especially for tropical diseases.

I don't really know how to ask about expenses over there, all I know is that everyone I talk to tells me to keep dreaming and I could never afford it. After a while it just gets discouraging.

Is it true that its about 80 degrees year round? Sounds amazing!

I'm getting desparate to get out of these smog alerts and nasty muggy air!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weather does it for me. hawaii never gets too cold or too hot. it rains once in a while, but rarely storms. we dont have to deal with large earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, snow, etc.

driving to work doesnt take hours like it does on some parts of the mainland.

plus u dont have to buy bottled water b/c u can get it from the tap.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM

870 dollars a moth rent will not get you much at all here.. I will tell you that right now. I moved here from Tennessee so I was just up the road from you. Things like peanut butter, ceral, milk and steak.. food in general are gonna be a shock compared to over there even now.. I ust came back from Nashville last month and milk in double the price here.. one time I took a picture of Captain Crunch here at the local Safeway to send home and show my mom as the price was over 8 dollars for the family size box.. Gas is about 40-50 cents more here a gallon.. if you get a job downtown a parking stall is gonna average 200 dollars a month.. etc etc..

the good side is the weather obviously.. plus you are 20 minutes-1 hour away from all the OTHER islands ( Big Island is amazing... ) so there's lots to do and it's all gonna be stuff that doesn't happen in ATL. People are generally friendly as long as you don't give them stink attitude.. but let's face it (talking to the other guys that live here) there are quite a large number of people ready to set a bad example for the rest in terms of "welcoming" newcomers to the Islands.

As far as your car. It's going to cost over 1000 dollars to ship it here.. it culd be MUCH more, and it will likely be damaged to some degree.. there's a thread on here where a guys car got a scrath all the way across the hood. They tore off the rear bumper of the car I brought here.. bottom line is the shipper doesn't care, that's why they have insurance and a stephen king novel sized stack of paperwork for you to fill out if you want to file a claim. If your car is lowered,, raise it or it will be damaged, plus Hawaii has recon laws that are quite prohibitive (coilovers=illegal for example) so do some homework on that.. go to forumshawaii.net and browse through the automotive section. there is a recon section in there with lots of info.. okay really long post.. stopping now.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coilovers arent illegal you just need allignment and recon.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30,Jul 24 2008, 10:57 PM
coilovers arent illegal you just need allignment and recon.
[snooty british accent] well good sir, to that end I stand corrected.. [/snooty british accent]
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[snooty british accent] indeed [/snooty british accent]
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

everything has been pretty much covered. hope you guys end up out here and if you do, we'll definately take care of you.

the nursing field his huge here. have a couple of friends who are nurses and they are pretty much set. good luck!

Quick Reply: Advice from HI locals please.