Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

4.44 gears

Old 04-23-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cole. That kinda helps

I really would rather not take it to Pflueger Honda though. They couldn't even perform my spark plug TSB without problems
Old 04-25-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe try Honda Windward????
Old 05-06-2003, 03:58 PM

I've ordered the gears with the necessary parts and yellow box.
Someone recommended Freddy's for the gear swap. Any other suggestions on shops to check out would be appreciated. Or Colin can clean out his garage and we can do it there
Old 05-06-2003, 04:39 PM

i bought a factory service manual, and it shows how to disassemble the diff, and reassemble it.
im sure u guys can do it

if/when i get gears im most likely gonna take it into either Sonics, who will inturn source it out to Freddy's, or take it to Evolutions who will do it in house.

not sure yet as im gonna fix my dent first
Old 05-08-2003, 12:09 AM

Steve,
I've had a few of my other previously owned cars, (GM and Jeep) gears and limited slip diff installed by Dennis Nakamura of Pearl City autoworks. He does good work. I use him for stuff I don't feel I have all the correct tools, expertise or time to tackle myself. He does charge a fair price but is not cheap. His work is excellent. I've done business with him over 30 years.
Mike
Old 05-08-2003, 03:44 AM

Mike: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try talking to him when the parts come in. It's a little out of the way (Pearl City), since I'll have to leave it overnight. But for peace of mind, it may be worth the travel.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:57 PM

Steve, Out of curiosity, are the gears OEM or aftermarket? Do they come with new bearings and shim spacers for setting up the gears in the differental? Or do ou have to use factory ones? the reason I ask is because you should change the carrier bearings and replace the shims (if needed, usually needed) when ever you replace the ring and pinon gears. Oh, I forgot about seals also.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:55 AM

Mike: The kit is made aftermarket and is distributed by Rick's Accessories. He includes in the kit, all the parts needed to do the swap, but I don't remember hearing that the seals were included. I know the shims and bearings were for sure included.
I went to Pearl City Autoworks today to talk to Dennis. At first he was hesitant, saying that he usually works on domestic rear ends. I showed him a printout of the DIY thread that Xviper created, and also that I had the manual, and he looked through the pictures and said that it did look like the same work that he does on the domestic models, but wanted to know if I had all the necessary parts. I told him yes, but I'll have to double check on the seals. Do you know what they look like? Anyway, Dennis was going to get back to me with a quote and let me know whether he would do it or not.
I told him that you were driving the same kind of car and he looked a little shocked he said "Is that what he's driving now? "
Old 05-10-2003, 03:51 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I hope this helps we just installed...the differential the gears etc are Mazda...take to someone familiar with mazdas.

fltsfshr
Old 05-10-2003, 03:54 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Oh yea I got my kit from Ricks...fast delivery everything was good get his install kit it's priced right too I added up the parts if gotten here.

and xviper thread is handy. Rick will also send you info with your gears and is a good source of info, get the yellow box too.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: 4.44 gears