Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

~~~ 2nd Official Hardly At Work Thread ~~~

Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Nugget,May 11 2007, 01:42 PM
Poindexter's Verizon Blackberry 8703E next to my TMobile Samsung T809...
Ah yes, I have actually found that Blackberry devices have very sensitive receivers and tend to get better service than most phones.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 11 2007, 01:46 PM
3rd party testing varies by market, while they do have strong coverage. Its not all its cracked up to be.

Of the top 50 markets, Tmobile was #1 in 30 of them both in call quality and fewest dropped calls. Cingular and Verizon finished in either 2nd or 3rd.

We also have the highest MOU, minutes of use per drop, that is what the industry measures network quality by. On average how many minutes can a customer talk before they experience a dropped call.

Verizons President in an interview complained about their customers expecting the phone to work everywhere, he said it was rediculous to expect that.

I have been in wireless for 15 years and I have worked for several of the big companies, Tmobile has by far been the best culture and cares the most about its customers. Everyone else could care less if you stay with them.
I can completely understand that. Expecting 100% 5-Bar reception everywhere is just expecting too much from your wireless provider. However, I have been in area's where I have a single bar if that when my old room-mate (Poindexter) was easily seating at 3 bars.

Very often I will see a very low reception - immediately I will turn to him just to compare and see how his looks. So far to date, he has always had better reception.

Perhaps things might be different in Northern Virginia and Maryland area. However in Southern Virginia, Verizon is supreme.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 11 2007, 01:47 PM
We dont update software like some of the companies do, there are updates sent to the handset for roaming and such but thats about it.
That is what I had though, however wasn't too sure. Lately my phone has been acting up. Individuals calling me and my phone going directly to voicemail, when it was on - text messages not being sent out - screen freezing.
Was hoping there were some sort of updates, but thought my sales individual could have been correct.

I believe in a year of service I have had maybe two updates.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 11 2007, 01:48 PM
Ah yes, I have actually found that Blackberry devices have very sensitive receivers and tend to get better service than most phones.
I can't remember which phone he had prior to this, however the results were similar.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 AM

My take on this goofy cel phone service provider thing is...

Verizon may have better service but to me it lacks other features i prefer.

I like t-mobile cuz of the phones they offer and beyond that its a GSM based service. I usualy get my phones from overseas since I like the phone available there better than the ones here. And the other feature i prfer is that I dont need to worry about getting some special phone with some retarded dual service stuff built in if i want to go overseas. I just take my phone with me and it works just fine.

T-mobile offers me ample service for where I am and i value other other features more than having some additional signal strength.

Like with anything, it all comes down to your personal preferences... i prefer t-mobile, chad doesnt... I just dont get why he doesnt just change the service provider lol

Oh and Chris, I'll shoot you a PM with the questions... thanks man
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM

PM Sent
Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CaptKirk,May 11 2007, 02:20 PM
I just dont get why he doesnt just change the service provider lol
My current plan with TMobile ends in October I believe - around this time I do plan to cancel my service.

Switching cell phone providers isn't a cheap move. You have to consider many different fee's that you incur : Early Termination ($200), Activation ($30), New Phone ($200+), plus any other fee's that other providers might charge.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 11 2007, 01:46 PM
Everyone else could care less if you stay with them.
I'm not trying to get in the middle of this argument. Mainly because once I finish this post I probably won't be back on S2Ki for a while to refute anything.

I've been using mobile phones since I was 15, so over 13 years now. I was a Sprint customer before Sprint launched their mobile phone plan because my dad was their PR Manager for the original launch.

I hate to say it (now), but I stayed with Sprint for over 7 years. At first they were great, then they progressively got worse with customer service. Yes, they certainly did not care if you were a current customer - it was all about the new customer. The only way I could get anything done was to threaten canceling.

Then I met Raul (airgate) who switched me over to Suncom. Suncom had the best customer service, and coverage was decent around Southern Virginia. When I traveled I was roaming with them. When Suncom pulled out of Southern Virginia I found myself as a customer of Cingular. Cingular reminded me of Sprint all over again.

Then I had some PM's with dkhl who told me to give Verizon a try. I did, and I am a very happy Verizon customer.

Maybe Verizon vs. other names is different in Southern Virginia. Right this minute I'm sitting with a group of people who have varied cell phone providers. I'm the only one who didn't pick a provider based on price. Yes, Verizon is expensive, but I've had nothing but excellent service. I had an issue with three Windows phones (Microsoft issues) and Verizon helped me out every time - even months after making the purchases. If I ever have to call tech or customer support I get someone who is able to help me, and if that person cannot they immediately find someone who can. I don't have to wait in nasty lines in their stores (maybe because I go in either early or late) and have amazing digital coverage.

I can recall two times calls were dropped on me, and they were both with an Alltel user. It is still questionable as to who dropped the call.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=Poindexter,May 11 2007, 02:48 PM]I'm not trying to get in the middle of this argument.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 11 2007, 03:07 PM
We could always agree to agree that Sprint Sucks
Hah, yes very much so!

I would agree though - anytime I have had to contact customer support for TMobile I did receive good service. The wait time was a bit extensive though.

Quick Reply: ~~~ 2nd Official Hardly At Work Thread ~~~