Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,687 Likes on 3,367 Posts

It used to be common to mount an outlet under the sink and then just plug the disposal into that outlet. Dunno if that is still done or even code these days...
Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
It used to be common to mount an outlet under the sink and then just plug the disposal into that outlet. Dunno if that is still done or even code these days...
I have never seen a plug in disposal. Must be some weird NJ/VA stuff Jeff saw when he was younger. Evan, I'd bet my right kidney you are hardwired.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Any disposal I've seen has been hardwired as well..? It makes sense to me as you don't want receptacles right underneath a wet location. Heck, it's ridiculous how anal these days code is on electrical wiring and things having to be GFCI protected (garage outlets is one example).
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Community Organizer

There is very little difference between having a j-box under the sink and having a GFCI outlet or water-proof cover.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TepEvan
I forgot to check to see if my current one was hardwired.
I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you can easily remove the plug, and voila, just hardwire it. I guess we'll see when I get mine and open up the box. It would make a lot of sense since many locations are hardwired.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,326 Posts

There is very little difference between having a j-box under the sink and having a GFCI outlet or water-proof cover.
No, Jeff, you're wrong. DWI!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Ya you're right, there isn't really a big difference. I just hate some codes, which seem to make things more of a pita than they need to be. One case being requiring all garage outlets being GFCI protected. I'm 90% sure my compressor acts up when starting up because of the gfci circuit, and apparently having a string of outlets non-gfci protected is a no-no.. Then there's backflow preventers on hose bibs.. Spray water all over the place and the rubber seals go bad and have to replaced periodically.. to prevent water backflow which isn't a problem. I guess in some rare instances when some retard leaves his hose submerged in a pool of cyanide and the municipality shuts off the water and the cyanide gets sucked into the system I'm safe.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer

I just did a google image search on garbage disposal. There are TONS of pictures of installed systems under sinks that are wired up with outlets.

Granted... There are just as many that do not...

No idea what is kosher these days. Been out of the biz too long.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1468429607' post='24015639

Ya you're right, there isn't really a big difference. I just hate some codes, which seem to make things more of a pita than they need to be. One case being requiring all garage outlets being GFCI protected. I'm 90% sure my compressor acts up when starting up because of the gfci circuit, and apparently having a string of outlets non-gfci protected is a no-no.. Then there's backflow preventers on hose bibs.. Spray water all over the place and the rubber seals go bad and have to replaced periodically.. to prevent water backflow which isn't a problem. I guess in some rare instances when some retard leaves his hose submerged in a pool of cyanide and the municipality shuts off the water and the cyanide gets sucked into the system I'm safe.
The outlets in the garage are also supposed to be, as I recall, 36 inches above finished floor (AFF) just like the electrical panel. It is to help prevent a fire in case of a flood (like that is your big problem at that point).
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 779 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1468423889' post='24015548
I have never seen a plug in disposal. Must be some weird NJ/VA stuff Jeff saw when he was younger. Evan, I'd bet my right kidney you are hardwired.
I seem to remember it being hardwired; however, my microwave has a separate outlet. In any case, I will let you both know and you can fight to the death!

Quick Reply: %!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%