Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 AM

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 AM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

I have not operated such a thing but I have also been considering renting one. I want to do a long retaining wall in the front of my house and have no desire to dig it all by had. I just have to avoid the pipe for the well.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:34 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON ANYMORE!

And I'm hungry.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Who can suggest a heavy duty decongestant? Advil cold & sinus doesn't cut it. I need to pick up more Mucinex DM. Stupid summer cold.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
If your question is have I operated a skid steer before, the answer is yes. But I am not an expert on them. IIRC, they are not that hard to use. Just be careful where your utilities are located and dig away. I think the idea is you have two levers for propulsion, one in each hand--pushing forward together makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go back. Pushing one forward with the other in the neutral (middle) position, makes the vehicle turn slowly, pushing one forward and the other one back makes the vehicle turn abruptly. The pedals control your bucket. Same idea, it is the 3 way switch with neutral in the middle, resting phase.

Hope that helps.
Yep thanks, I get the basic gist of them, just the devil is always in the details and actual execution. Do you think it'd be hard to do some grading with one? I'm looking to flatten a hill that's only about 3' high and spread it over a larger area (20-30'). I asked a friend of mine who has a concrete company and uses one periodically and he said it's "easy," but I'm a noob and don't want to underestimate anything. Cutting into areas go forward, and flattening seems like it's best to go backwards. I called miss utility but I'm 90% sure there are no utilities or anything to hit, and the area will be at minimum a few feet away from the deck so unless I'm a complete retard I shouldn't hit anything serious.

I'm also not sure how to address the torn up yard, but I got at least a month or so to come up with a plan.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by tacocat' timestamp='1469798245' post='24027778
If your question is have I operated a skid steer before, the answer is yes. But I am not an expert on them. IIRC, they are not that hard to use. Just be careful where your utilities are located and dig away. I think the idea is you have two levers for propulsion, one in each hand--pushing forward together makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go back. Pushing one forward with the other in the neutral (middle) position, makes the vehicle turn slowly, pushing one forward and the other one back makes the vehicle turn abruptly. The pedals control your bucket. Same idea, it is the 3 way switch with neutral in the middle, resting phase.

Hope that helps.
Yep thanks, I get the basic gist of them, just the devil is always in the details and actual execution. Do you think it'd be hard to do some grading with one? I'm looking to flatten a hill that's only about 3' high and spread it over a larger area (20-30'). I asked a friend of mine who has a concrete company and uses one periodically and he said it's "easy," but I'm a noob and don't want to underestimate anything. Cutting into areas go forward, and flattening seems like it's best to go backwards. I called miss utility but I'm 90% sure there are no utilities or anything to hit, and the area will be at minimum a few feet away from the deck so unless I'm a complete retard I shouldn't hit anything serious.

I'm also not sure how to address the torn up yard, but I got at least a month or so to come up with a plan.
Everything is easy on paper. If it looks easy, it should be easy. But who knows, you may have an ancient burial mound in your backyard....
Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI

I have not operated such a thing but I have also been considering renting one. I want to do a long retaining wall in the front of my house and have no desire to dig it all by had. I just have to avoid the pipe for the well.
That sounds like the perfect use for one as well. The issue just becomes how precise you need it and whether you trust yourself. Also, you might need to get in there quick to build the retaining wall shortly after you dig it out, or I'd imagine it'd erode and make a mess. Building a retaining wall if it's substantial is a big project itself..
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 AM

I'd hire the fk out of someone for those two jobs, my time > the cost of someone who will get that ish done in a day.

Quick Reply: %!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%