Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,683 Likes on 3,364 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
Charges dropped against the last 3 officers in the Freddy Gray trial--does this mean the family has to return the payout received?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,324 Posts

My question now is this--do those officers go back on the force? I would say no for two reasons.

1. They are a potential target for perceived wrongdoing.
2. If they ever have an incident again, the family of the future victim/criminal would have an easy route to sue--how could the good people of Baltimore City let this animal back on the force considering his history? Pay me.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Community Organizer

My question now is this--do those officers go back on the force? I would say no for two reasons.

2. If they ever have an incident again, the family of the future victim/criminal would have an easy route to sue--how could the good people of Baltimore City let this animal back on the force considering his history? Pay me.
You are probably right but it will be for political reasons not criminal ones. Double-jeopardy prevents them from retrying the officers. Besides, the case was dismissed for lack of evidence. The chances of bringing it again are near zero unless someone comes out with some new ultra-damning evidence. So unlikely to even be worth considering.

The money that was awarded to the family was the result of a civil suit - not a criminal one. The two are separate and by law do not interfere on each case.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
Originally Posted by tacocat' timestamp='1469629208' post='24026108

You are probably right but it will be for political reasons not criminal ones. Double-jeopardy prevents them from retrying the officers. Besides, the case was dismissed for lack of evidence. The chances of bringing it again are near zero unless someone comes out with some new ultra-damning evidence. So unlikely to even be worth considering.

The money that was awarded to the family was the result of a civil suit - not a criminal one. The two are separate and by law do not interfere on each case.
I was not saying to retry them. I was speaking hypothetically if anything were to go wrong again in the future.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1469629454' post='24026113
[quote name='tacocat' timestamp='1469629208' post='24026108']

I was not saying to retry them. I was speaking hypothetically if anything were to go wrong again in the future.
[/quote]
If something goes wrong in the future, you can't use "past acts" as evidence. The same double-jeopardy rule protects them.

That is only criminal law, though... Lord only knows what might pass muster in another civil suit. Which is why I said that I think you are right but it will mostly be for CYA/political reasons they are relieved of duty.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
Originally Posted by tacocat' timestamp='1469629691' post='24026119
[quote name='WhrDLMI' timestamp='1469629454' post='24026113']
[quote name='tacocat' timestamp='1469629208' post='24026108']

[/quote]
If something goes wrong in the future, you can't use "past acts" as evidence. The same double-jeopardy rule protects them.

That is only criminal law, though... Lord only knows what might pass muster in another civil suit. Which is why I said that I think you are right but it will mostly be for CYA/political reasons they are relieved of duty.
[/quote]
This is what I am saying. They people that he may wrong in the future have and easy track to a lawsuit considering past performance. Like it or not ,the guys history would be brought up, so I say don't let him back on the force, give him an early retirement and send him on his way.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 779 Likes on 469 Posts

There is still an internal investigation, so they'll be on administrative duties until that is over.
I agree with 1, they're a potential target in all aspects. More scrutiny will be placed on them, we've already seen it increased recently on all law enforcement.
Baltimore City created that pay me society you speak of. They should let the courts handle that.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 AM

Old 07-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Old 07-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Quick Reply: %!&#*378rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%