Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 695 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
On another note does anyone know of a mfr/brand of christmas lights that isn't a POS? I bought some sets of GE LED christmas lights a few years ago and a string is crapping out (it's wired in series). POS says it has a blah blah blah warranty and it's typical cheap made in china junk. It pains me to just toss a huge string and have it sit in a landfill.. I'd gladly pay 2x the price for quality stuff. It's really disturbing the throw away nature of so much stuff these days.
I still use circa 1980s twinkle christmas lights on our tree. They suck tons of power and get hot, but it brings back my childhood so its worth it.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_bump' timestamp='1417721425' post='23426992
I have not been in a movie theater since I believe 1984
The only movie theater I've been to recently is the Alamo Drafthouse out in Ashburn. Reserved seating and reasonably priced food/snacks/drinks brought to your seat makes it the only theater worth going to imo. I will never goto an AMC or any other crappy theater again. It really is a completely different movie "experience."
My "if you were rich, what would you want to do with your time?" dream job, is to open a movie theater / brewpub, very similar to the Alamo Drafthouse.

I even have the perfect location picked out already. It's currently an awful gift shop, but I'll change all of that when I get my millions...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think this was posted yet today...

Tennessee is banning trucks longer than 30 feet from using the Dragon: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/natio...al_twitter_sfp
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Good for the Dragon tourism, sucky for the companies that need products delivered.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4,687 Likes on 3,367 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1417724997' post='23427057
On another note does anyone know of a mfr/brand of christmas lights that isn't a POS? I bought some sets of GE LED christmas lights a few years ago and a string is crapping out (it's wired in series). POS says it has a blah blah blah warranty and it's typical cheap made in china junk. It pains me to just toss a huge string and have it sit in a landfill.. I'd gladly pay 2x the price for quality stuff. It's really disturbing the throw away nature of so much stuff these days.
I still use circa 1980s twinkle christmas lights on our tree. They suck tons of power and get hot, but it brings back my childhood so its worth it.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4,687 Likes on 3,367 Posts

I had to replace a string of our crappy GE lights this year for the very same reason. Man, they are GARBAGE! We ended up getting these:

They are about $25 a string at Home Depot but I have to admit that I was impressed with the quality. The insulation on the wires is nice and thick and the lights are easily replaceable. I also like that, while they are LED's, they aren't that obnoxious super-bright white light. I'm going to keep my eye on the price and see if I can pick up more on post-holiday sale. Totally worth it....
Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1417724997' post='23427057

I have not had a christmas tree in almost 20 years since the dog ate a bunch of ornaments.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I just went out and hung my string of LED lights out front,
Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGear
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1417724745' post='23427053
[quote name='speed_bump' timestamp='1417721425' post='23426992']
I have not been in a movie theater since I believe 1984
The only movie theater I've been to recently is the Alamo Drafthouse out in Ashburn. Reserved seating and reasonably priced food/snacks/drinks brought to your seat makes it the only theater worth going to imo. I will never goto an AMC or any other crappy theater again. It really is a completely different movie "experience."
My "if you were rich, what would you want to do with your time?" dream job, is to open a movie theater / brewpub, very similar to the Alamo Drafthouse.

I even have the perfect location picked out already. It's currently an awful gift shop, but I'll change all of that when I get my millions...
[/quote]

There used to be one in silver spring/wheaton a few blocks from where I live, but it is closed
Old 12-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

We went to LED xmas lights a few years ago. I/we haven't gone all out on the house since we lived in Nashville (2003).

Quick Reply: %!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%