Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
The only real comment on the appliance I have, Matt, would be that it is only a two disk system. Like you said, you don't want anything fancy but you are really limiting your RAID fault tolerance. I'm not suggesting that dual parity is your solution but I think you can do better.
I'd mirror the two disks, so it should be pretty dependable.

I'm also thinking about signing up for an offsite backup plan that the Synology would automatically back itself up on. Looks like you can get some unlimited backup plans for ~50/year. Seems not bad.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/UPDATE...ningDSM50.aspx
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

I'm not a fan of mirroring but whatever. Crashplan is a good choice, too. I have heard many good things about that service although I do not (yet) use it myself.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
I'm not a fan of mirroring but whatever. Crashplan is a good choice, too. I have heard many good things about that service although I do not (yet) use it myself.
If some attacker is powerful enough to steal my encrypted data from somewhere like crashplan, they could probably just take it straight from my Synology too (I bet it would be easier that way. I'm no security expert). Other than that, 3rd party mirroring makes it easy to follow 3-2-1 in case an asteroid hits my house.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I have two WD black drives in raid 0 in my computer at home. I'll be boned if either drive were to fail, but I really don't have anything too important on there.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Roflcopter
I have two WD black drives in raid 0 in my computer at home. I'll be boned if either drive were to fail, but I really don't have anything too important on there.
Living dangerously...

I have lots of photos I don't want to lose. I've already lost huge troves of pictures to drive failures twice in the past (shame on me...)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by TopGear
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1416856052' post='23416540
If some attacker is powerful enough to steal my encrypted data from somewhere like crashplan, they could probably just take it straight from my Synology too (I bet it would be easier that way. I'm no security expert). Other than that, 3rd party mirroring makes it easy to follow 3-2-1 in case an asteroid hits my house.
I think you misunderstood me... I like Crashplan. I think it is a good plan for you (especially since you are just going to mirror) and I plan on setting up my own account someday. FreeNAS has a crashplan plugin that is supposed to make it even easier to use.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Ah. I thought you just didn't like the idea of having your data under the control of anybody else (which would be an understandable sentiment, but not something I'm concerned about)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Roflcopter' timestamp='1416857047' post='23416567
Living dangerously...

I have lots of photos I don't want to lose. I've already lost huge troves of pictures to drive failures twice in the past (shame on me...)

I store all my media on an external drive. I should probably back that up in case it decides to fail on me... again.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Ah. I thought you just didn't like the idea of having your data under the control of anybody else (which would be an understandable sentiment, but not something I'm concerned about)
Meh... I probably wouldn't crashplan my list of super-secret family recipes but pretty much everything else is okay.

My employer has made me paranoid but not THAT paranoid.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Roflcopter
Originally Posted by TopGear' timestamp='1416857208' post='23416574
[quote name='Roflcopter' timestamp='1416857047' post='23416567']
Living dangerously...

I store all my media on an external drive. I should probably back that up in case it decides to fail on me... again.
[/quote]

Haha, yeah, ask me what kind of drives have failed and taken my media with them

Actually, I've never had an internal hard drive fail. The original drive in my 12yr old laptop still works fine, even. But both external drives I've owned have had short lives. Probably just coincidence. It's not like I repeatedly threw my external drives down the stairs or anything. My laptop drives probably had much harder lives.

Quick Reply: %!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%