Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

strange... we had our power flicker that turned off many things. Wonder if they could be related...
Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
Rough morning for me. Power went out last night and reset all of our alarm clocks. Ended up over-sleeping by almost an hour. Still managed to get my 'ish together and got out the door before 8 am (a personal record, I might add). I thought I'd be okay but found that I had to dodge three fender bender type accidents that eff'd traffic. took way longer to get to work than usual.

Commuting sucks. Wednesday looks like it is going to be SUPER fun.
Yea thats why I use my phone as my alarm clock. If my alarm didn't go off I would end up waking up at like noon.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TepEvan
TSM as said here is an IBM product. They list a VTL (virtual tape library), so likely they're using all IBM backend for storage. Looks like you'll be learning AIX (IBM's version of Unix). That being said, good luck on the interview!

Sorry about the puppy, Zeke, glad it's doing better. No, I didn't look at the video.

Sorry to hear about the job, Steve. Hope you find something soon
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Rough morning for me. Power went out last night and reset all of our alarm clocks. Ended up over-sleeping by almost an hour. Still managed to get my 'ish together and got out the door before 8 am (a personal record, I might add). I thought I'd be okay but found that I had to dodge three fender bender type accidents that eff'd traffic. took way longer to get to work than usual.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1416839115' post='23416132

Yea thats why I use my phone as my alarm clock. If my alarm didn't go off I would end up waking up at like noon.

I don't use an alarm but if I did my bedside clock has batteries in it for backup.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri

I actually do use my phone but I made a critical error last night. I usually have it set to play WTOP for about half an hour or so while I fall asleep - just background noise. I didn't do that last night and instead decided to read a little before turning in. This means I didn't check the volume on my phone... The alarm went off but the volume was set so low that I didn't hear it. Bobbie is my failover plan but her clock was flashing midnight because of the power outtage. Epic fail on all fronts.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by speed_bump

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU
Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by speed_bump
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1416840350' post='23416157
[quote name='WhrDLMI' timestamp='1416839115' post='23416132']

I don't use an alarm but if I did my bedside clock has batteries in it for backup.
[/quote]
This is where even more catastrophic fail comes in... I actually have a real alarm clock that not only has a battery backup but can also reset its own time when power is restored. I don't use it because the alarm is REALLY harsh and it is impossible for me to get up before Bobbie but not wake her up at the same time. Not really fair since I typically get up an hour or so before she does. I also have a pretty nice iHome clock that I got for my old iPhone 3G. It also has a batter backup and uses the phone itself to set it's time. Works great! Just not with my iPhone 5.

Ever since I got my 5, I have been using that stupid, WICKEDLY over priced iphone 30-pin to lightning connector to adapt it to my 5. Works okay but some functionality is lost. Volume control being one of them.

SO... If I don't listen to WTOP while I am falling asleep, I forget to adjust the volume properly. If the power goes out, all the battery backups in the world fail to work.

Dumb, isn't it? I should just stop using the iHome doo-hicky and just rely on the speakers in the phone itself. Would prevent all of the cascading fail when the power goes out. This is what I do when I travel. It works just fine.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Everybody panic!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by speed_bump' timestamp='1416840705' post='23416163
[quote name='WhrDLMI' timestamp='1416839115' post='23416132']

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU
[/quote]
I should also mention that my new snow blower ships tomorrow. Knew this was going to happen.

Quick Reply: %!&#*367rd Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%