Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%$#%#%#41st Official Hard-at-Work Thread%$#

Old 12-01-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopTarts,Dec 1 2005, 12:20 PM
Well the thing is, where does truth lie? What people just say, or actual, hard numbers?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_RE050A_rd_c.jsp

Shows that the RE050 on the AP2s gave .93g of grip in dry conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pil...orts_charts.jsp

Shows the Pilot Sport Max Performance gave .93g of grip in dry conditions.

The same chart shows my All-Season tires at .92g of grip.

More data. Avon Tech A/S = .92g.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/..._m550_as_c.jsp

Pirelli Nero M+S All-Season = .92g.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...csta_asx_c.jsp

Other Max Performance charts show them at around .93-.95g. Racing tires are well above 1.0g.

What I'm trying to say is - based on the data it doesn't seem to me like the Max Summer gives THAT much more grip than the top-end A/S tires. It definitely gives more, but I wonder if it is *dramatically* more like a lot of folks make it out to be.
damnit john.. just learn to drive on s02's....

you're giving us koreans a bad name... cuase you can't handle the the S on s02's in the winter...

P.S. i've driven with s02's in sleet... .. and i'm still here.. and my car is still here..
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by PopTarts,Dec 1 2005, 12:37 PM
There's also free software that's available for the PC, when combined with a TV tuner card, will act like a DVR and dump mpegs into your hard drive. A buddy of mine has that, and is free (other than your cable costs, obviously).

I've been thinking of that, but I'd need a bigger hard drive
you can get cheap samsung harddrives these days..... just catch it when they have a rebate at micro center...

i bought a 80 gig harddrive for ehhh i believe it was 30 bucks..
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Dec 1 2005, 11:36 AM
if you think about it.. paying all at once is a better option... if it's 300 bucks....

at 10 bucks a month... if you plan on using your dvr for longer then 3 years (which i would assue you would...) is $360...

so in the long run.. paying all at once would be a better option
Paying a little every month is less of a burden than paying a lot at once. Its some law or something of economics i learned at some point. Cost spread over time is "better" because you have income coming in...and that income isn't affected nearly as much with a little pinch every month as it is with a big hit all at once.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by PopTarts,Dec 1 2005, 11:37 AM
There's also free software that's available for the PC, when combined with a TV tuner card, will act like a DVR and dump mpegs into your hard drive. A buddy of mine has that, and is free (other than your cable costs, obviously).

I've been thinking of that, but I'd need a bigger hard drive
i was thinking of that... but i want to keep everything separate. I just want to be able to hook up to my PC if i want to save something permanently or if i recorded something that I want to take somewhere else to show someone.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Dec 1 2005, 11:38 AM
damnit john.. just learn to drive on s02's....

you're giving us koreans a bad name... cuase you can't handle the the S on s02's in the winter...

P.S. i've driven with s02's in sleet... .. and i'm still here.. and my car is still here..
Pshhh

I've driven on Sumitomo's... beat that bullshit

Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Dec 1 2005, 11:39 AM
you can get cheap samsung harddrives these days..... just catch it when they have a rebate at micro center...

i bought a 80 gig harddrive for ehhh i believe it was 30 bucks..
I got a 250gb Western digital for like 150 or somethign from microcenter a few months back...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 AM

but you don't have to worry about it ever again.....

put it this way... say you use dvr for another 20 years... (i use 20 cause by then dvr will be junk and they'll be something better out.. )

if you pay at once now.. = $300-$500 .. whatever it may be...
paying 10 bucks a month for 20 years.. = $2400

look at those savings.. yes it's in a 20 year span.. but it's still savings.. (besides they'll probably raise the price of the service for dvr later down the road anyways like everything else goes up...) but if you pay a lump sump now you don't have to worry about it...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNavZ,Dec 1 2005, 08:36 AM
See its not just the actual gs the tires can handle on paper that make max performance tires more appealling. Its everythign about them. Their greater steering feel, their sidewall stiffness, their greater road feel, etc etc...

Besides, I guarantee you very few people even take up he lateral g's up that high... so once again, if you know you aren't going to outdrive yoru tires, then there is no point in getting something that gives you more than you need...
Hmm. I just didn't feel differences in those areas when I switched. Have you driven on top-end A/S tires before?

I don't know man - I go around corners fast enough that I am often on the verge of oversteer... There's a circle offramp on the way to work that I take that's posted at 25mph. With the S02s I could take it up to almost 55mph before they broke loose, and with the A/S I can do about 50mph... in every other facet they feel about the same.

For some reason I think I've been labeled as a granny driver just because I get decent mileage... but I'm quite turn-happy
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BNavZ,Dec 1 2005, 12:42 PM
Pshhh

I've driven on Sumitomo's... beat that bullshit

in sleet?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BNavZ,Dec 1 2005, 11:39 AM
Paying a little every month is less of a burden than paying a lot at once. Its some law or something of economics i learned at some point. Cost spread over time is "better" because you have income coming in...and that income isn't affected nearly as much with a little pinch every month as it is with a big hit all at once.
That true if you think $300 is a big hit. But if you think $300 is a big hit you probably shouldn't be wasting $10 a month on recording TV shows.

Quick Reply: %$#%#%#41st Official Hard-at-Work Thread%$#