Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%*!#&%!418st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 08-21-2024, 06:11 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

I have a question about setting the timing on my car. I think I have a problem.

The engine is more or less put back together - timing cover is on, the oil pan is on and I reinstalled the head. I am as certain as I can be that I accurately lined up the keyway on the crank shaft with the mark on the block and that I lined up the single black link with the dot on the crank shaft gear before I buttoned everything up. I installed the cam idler gear in the head but cannot get it to line up with the timing marks on the crank pulley and timing cover if I align the "black links" on the timing chain with the dot on the cam idler gear.

What I think happened is that the chain slipped on the crank shaft gear while I was installing the rest of the bits - most likely the head. My question is whether or not it matters. Top-dead-center is top-dead-center, right? I identify that with the marks on the crank pulley and the timing cover and it doesn't matter where the "black links" are, right?

It's an easy thing to line up the ticks on the crank pulley with the mark on the timing cover and align the two "hash" marks on the cam idler gear with the lip of the head. That's all I really need, right? The chain lining up would be a bonus but does it really matter?
Old 08-21-2024, 06:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

OH... Extra thanks to Steve for the hookup on the torque wrench. That thing made torquing down the head bolts a dream. I do not think I would want to do it any other way!
The following users liked this post:
Gilly_S2KFreak (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:15 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

I should add that I can turn the crank freely and watch the idler gear spin. I do not think the chain is bound up at all and I am as certain as I can be that it is properly riding on the crank gear.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:18 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Nandska
I've got HAV2P for mine.
The Mustang has J JAW. Because Jabberjaw
Old 08-21-2024, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Closing on our house just got moved up to this Friday

sam_spider (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI

The engine is more or less put back together - timing cover is on, the oil pan is on and I reinstalled the head. I am as certain as I can be that I accurately lined up the keyway on the crank shaft with the mark on the block and that I lined up the single black link with the dot on the crank shaft gear before I buttoned everything up. I installed the cam idler gear in the head but cannot get it to line up with the timing marks on the crank pulley and timing cover if I align the "black links" on the timing chain with the dot on the cam idler gear.

What I think happened is that the chain slipped on the crank shaft gear while I was installing the rest of the bits - most likely the head. My question is whether or not it matters. Top-dead-center is top-dead-center, right? I identify that with the marks on the crank pulley and the timing cover and it doesn't matter where the "black links" are, right?

It's an easy thing to line up the ticks on the crank pulley with the mark on the timing cover and align the two "hash" marks on the cam idler gear with the lip of the head. That's all I really need, right? The chain lining up would be a bonus but does it really matter?
I wish I could help on this one...but I would be guessing and guessing on this could have serious ramifications if I was wrong.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI

With the crank pulley on, is the timing mark on the cover aligned with the pulley and the painted links align on the upper sprocket?
Old 08-21-2024, 06:27 AM

I'm scared...Liz is kicking the tires on this one--test drove it last night.

sam_spider (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:45 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Slows2k
With the crank pulley on, is the timing mark on the cover aligned with the pulley and the painted links align on the upper sprocket?
No. That's what I am trying to explain.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:47 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

I think what happened is the chain slipped on the crank shaft gear somewhere while I was installing the head or the timing cover. That damn chain flops all over the place and there isn't much to keep it on the crank gear while you are fighting with it.

Quick Reply: %*!#&%!418st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%