Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%*!#&%!418st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 08-15-2024, 04:47 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Howdy
Old 08-15-2024, 04:52 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
Every realtor we talked to (one of whom is a friend of mine that talked to because I know he won't bs me) says that stuff goes on behind the scenes on the buyer's side that wouldn't happen if someone wasn't compensating that realtor. If you are the seller and you want to have a smooth transaction, you have to accept that you are putting money to things that may not benefit you directly but will facilitate the whole process which, honestly, does benefit the seller.

Like I keep telling everyone I talk to about this... I'm a transactional kind of person. I'll give you X if you give me Y. Paying for crap that "might" happen between two other people that I have no direct knowledge about that might only tangentially help me REALLY bugs me. Especially when you are talking about the largest sums of money I have ever even come close to dealing with.

But whatever. If you want it to come out smooth on the other end, this is what you have to do. Have to accept that. Unfortunately.
I must admit not every realtor is created equal, some are truly oblivious and some are very good at what they do, but I'd never go along with the commission being justified when we're talking 100's of thousands of dollars. I bet if it were like the car industry where the salesman gets $500-1500 per car regardless of msrp the realtors attitude would change.

I was super impressed with the pics our realtor did for our old house, definitely weren't taken with a cell phone, and I definitely see a value in that. I'd guess the pics are probably $500 or so but they do make a difference.
Old 08-15-2024, 05:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I must admit not every realtor is created equal, some are truly oblivious and some are very good at what they do, but I'd never go along with the commission being justified when we're talking 100's of thousands of dollars. I bet if it were like the car industry where the salesman gets $500-1500 per car regardless of msrp the realtors attitude would change.

In this day and age, with technology, do we even really need the agents? I mean, it's almost like car dealerships, why not deal directly with the seller. Basically, like Tesla. No middle person. No ADM.
Old 08-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Have a site that you can order packages for certain prices.
  • You want pictures, ads in sites, ad placed in MLS.
  • You want someone to be there for open houses
  • You want someone to handle selling your house.
  • You want someone to help buy a house
  • You need a checklist and easy step-by-step paperwork for seller/buyer
Old 08-15-2024, 05:43 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nandska

In this day and age, with technology, do we even really need the agents? I mean, it's almost like car dealerships, why not deal directly with the seller. Basically, like Tesla. No middle person. No ADM.
Agreed. Agents are really just needed to open the door to the house to see it. I know they fill out the paperwork and they do some work, but $10-15k (3%) on the average house sale is nuts. Our realtor removed his commission since we had issues with the new house, but I didn't feel quite comfortable with it as it wasn't his fault. Ended up with him getting 1.5% and he wrote it for the buyer side to get 2.5% for a total of 4%. I think 1.5% for each side is reasonable in the grand scheme, or a flat rate of some kind.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:11 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

I think that's where I disagree a little. I think there are a thousand little things that a good agent does that the buyer and seller don't really hear about unless there is a problem. What about unrealistic buyers who want all of the million dumb things the home inspector "finds" in your house fixed before they move in? What about the loan officers at those big banks that have no idea what the local rules are and start asking all kinds of dumb questions and stalling the whole process? I think they deserve to be compensated for that. Maybe take some the opacity out of the system and bill for their expenses?

I definitely agree that, as house prices continue to rise, the actual amount of money these guys pocket gets insane given the number hours they actually spend working each transaction. I also don't think the seller should be funding the whole thing and like the idea of flat fees. Maybe that would help keep home prices down a little and help that first time home buyer a little.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:29 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

I think that's the issue though, they aren't all good at it, our previous realtor was genuinely clueless about many things. She simply looked at dollar per sq foot and that was it, we had a come to jesus moment with her on the last house we looked at with her, I'd had enough.

Definitely agree they do things we aren't aware of and good ones are involved in the process, I just think the amount of money simply isn't justified. The amount of paperwork and details is the same whether it's a $200k house versus a $2M one. 3% across the board just isn't warranted.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Yup. I would also argue that the larger sums of money brings out the people who are only looking to make a quick buck.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:50 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

But what the hell do I know? I'm just some poor schmuck leveraging his future to buy a seven-figure house the paperwork says he can afford but honestly has no business owning.
Old 08-15-2024, 07:28 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

It'll be fine, the bank said so

Quick Reply: %*!#&%!418st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%