Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%*!#&%!382th Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

The following users liked this post:
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

Well that didn't take very long.

I am SUCH a sucker for a deal...
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

YAO!
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 AM

I've got questions for yalls college edumacaded folk
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Community Organizer

tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 AM

https://www.umtweb.edu/AcademicPrograms.aspx

That is the link to the younivercity of management and technology. It's very military friendly and they take a lot of our experience and converts them into credits. I keep hearing about degree's really not mattering these days to employers unless it's very specific like a doctor, lawyer, etc. I saw they have general studies. I assumed general studies was the easiest, and is a good path for people who don't quite know what they wanna degree in. However, the description of the Business management ABA looks to be the easiest, but I was told general studies is?

Overall, they have the homeland security degrees and thought maybe that would be beneficial to me should I choose to work for the government after I retire in a couple of years.

Could yall provide your input on all this? I really don't know which way to go here. I just know I want to retire with a degree, and this online place doesn't have weekly discussions and stuff like other online colleges i've tried. Really annoying. I just want to be able to study what i need, take the test and move on. However, I'm just having trouble trying to decide whether I really need to just "check the block" and just get a degree in anything fast and easy, or actually try to get a degree in something that would benefit me more than just a degree.

Thoughts?
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by HMFIC
https://www.umtweb.edu/AcademicPrograms.aspx

That is the link to the younivercity of management and technology. It's very military friendly and they take a lot of our experience and converts them into credits. I keep hearing about degree's really not mattering these days to employers unless it's very specific like a doctor, lawyer, etc. I saw they have general studies. I assumed general studies was the easiest, and is a good path for people who don't quite know what they wanna degree in. However, the description of the Business management ABA looks to be the easiest, but I was told general studies is?

Overall, they have the homeland security degrees and thought maybe that would be beneficial to me should I choose to work for the government after I retire in a couple of years.

Could yall provide your input on all this? I really don't know which way to go here. I just know I want to retire with a degree, and this online place doesn't have weekly discussions and stuff like other online colleges i've tried. Really annoying. I just want to be able to study what i need, take the test and move on. However, I'm just having trouble trying to decide whether I really need to just "check the block" and just get a degree in anything fast and easy, or actually try to get a degree in something that would benefit me more than just a degree.

Thoughts?
A bachelor's degree is important, it opens more doors than not. There are people here (and no longer in HAW) that have done well without it, but if you have the means, why not give yourself the advantage.

That being said, you SHOULD take a degree geared to what you want to do. That also being said, all of the majors have general university required classes (english 101, math 101, etc). Take all of those classes up front, that way you'll have some time to decide what you want to focus your major on. I WISH someone told me that advice before I went to college, because I went all willy nilly taking courses in the major I thought I was going to graduate with. I ended up wasting a lot of time and credits and it took me an extra year to graduate because I didn't take the standard required classes first.

My $.02
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Community Organizer

Why did you pick that school?

Getting a degree matters (sorry to sound elitist but I think this is true). Feel free to stop reading now if you disagree. I'm okay with that. Really....

So you are still reading?

You sure?

Okay.... You asked for it....

This is why you have to be at least a little selective of where you get it from... I have heard first hand from hiring managers that they automatically discount degrees from schools that they either do not recognize or that they know are "for profit." For example, my masters is just this side of useless because it came from Strayer University. Such is life. I got what I needed to get for it so, for me, it doesn't matter. But I would never tell anyone in a million years to get an undergrad degree from there without very specific advice that it would get them what they want.

I'm not saying you need to go to Brown or Standford either. There are hundreds of schools in the middle tier that offer a perfectly acceptable education that can actually be reasonable. My undergrad degree is a perfect example here, too. I went to a small State school in Pennsylvania. Although that particular university isn't all that great, my degree is backed by the PA State System of Higher Education. That matters. It got me what i needed and it was affordable.

You have the GI Bill, right? Go find a good school with a good reputation and go for a degree that might actually translate into a job. Business, Accounting, something technical - engineering, IT, etc. Don't think about what you hear is "easy" or "hard." I know you can do the work... None of this should be all that challenging to someone with your life experience and ability. Buckle down and get it done, son. I know you can do it.
tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Community Organizer

Really? NOBODY?

tacocat (07-21-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Nope. :P