Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%*!#&%!381th Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
The windows are already open, so there!
Jelly. I'm not allowed to do that.
The following users liked this post:
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

yup. windows open in spring = win.
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Roflcopter
yup. windows open in spring = win.

Windows open in spring = pollen = x eleventy billion

... or so I have been told.
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
I am wondering if it is time for Bobbie and I to do something like this. We have a part of our roof that is in the sun 365 days a year. I imagine it would be about perfect (not that I understand all the requirements, mind you) or at least looking into.

Did they talk at all about how it adds to home/resale value, Zeke?
With Vivint, you are on for a 20 year ride. That is the scary part. If you sell, you can transfer the deal over to the new people, get new panels on the house you are moving to (with a new 20 year agreement), or pay for the system outright. Most people will opt for the first option. Here is how that works: This whole lease thing is based on 2 things:
1. Your power company will continue to increase their rates (BGE has been increasing about 5% annually over the past 15 years).
2. Vivint is capped with their rate increase to 2.9% annually.
What you are looking for is the gap between what you pay Vivint and what BGE is charging to get as big as possible. If you sell the house 10 years from now, that gap should be pretty good, so it is an asset to sell. Right now, Liz and I are paying about 14.3 per KwH delivered to the house. Vivint is charging 11.9. First year savings won't be astronomical. It should get better as time goes on. But, even if BGE says, "Hey, we are charging our customers too much, lets put a freeze in place" it would still take 8 years for Vivint to catch up to the current BGE prices at 2.9% per year.
We got in with Vivint because there is no up front cost to us. We didn't have 20k laying around to buy the panels outright--even then it would have been about a 12 year breakeven point, so we leased. Vivint is responsible for the maintenance, monitoring and production of the units. 20 years from now, we are all done and they take the panels off the house. And we are in our 60's.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:23 AM

Windows open in spring = pollen = x eleventy billion

... or so I have been told.
Oh, there is green everywhere in our house--but because the HVAC is off, there is also green in our pockets.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

With Vivint, you are on for a 20 year ride. That is the scary part. If you sell, you can transfer the deal over to the new people, get new panels on the house you are moving to (with a new 20 year agreement), or pay for the system outright. Most people will opt for the first option. Here is how that works: This whole lease thing is based on 2 things:
1. Your power company will continue to increase their rates (BGE has been increasing about 5% annually over the past 15 years).
What you are looking for is the gap between what you pay Vivint and what BGE is charging to get as big as possible. If you sell the house 10 years from now, that gap should be pretty good, so it is an asset to sell. Right now, Liz and I are paying about 14.3 per KwH delivered to the house. Vivint is charging 11.9. First year savings won't be astronomical. It should get better as time goes on. But, even if BGE says, "Hey, we are charging our customers too much, lets put a freeze in place" it would still take 8 years for Vivint to catch up to the current BGE prices at 2.9% per year.
We got in with Vivint because there is no up front cost to us. We didn't have 20k laying around to buy the panels outright--even then it would have been about a 12 year breakeven point, so we leased. Vivint is responsible for the maintenance, monitoring and production of the units. 20 years from now, we are all done and they take the panels off the house. And we are in our 60's.
This is good stuff! Thank you!
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Oh, there is green everywhere in our house--but because the HVAC is off, there is also green in our pockets.
Meh... I pay 9.7 per KwH.
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 704 Likes on 445 Posts

Yea they came to my door selling that setup. Interesting idea, but I didn't like someone else owning something on my house. That and it would require some effort on my part so meh.
The following 2 users liked this post by goldenfri:
tacocat (04-14-2017), TepEvan (04-17-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by goldenfri
... would require some effort on my part so meh.
tacocat (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Meh... I pay 9.7 per KwH.
The important word is delivered. The power company loves showing you what they charge you for the power, then they add it transfer fees, the CEO-needs-a-new-boat fee, etc. What you have to do is take your total power bill, divide it by KwH and boomderyago, that is what you are paying per KwH. If you're still at 9.7, that is awesome.

Quick Reply: %*!#&%!381th Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%