Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Wireless Phone Coverage

Old 11-10-2001, 05:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2k Dude
[B]I ruled out Cingular because they're so damn expensive.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:53 AM

I have had powertel now voicestram for 3 years now and have never had any problems with them. You do lose signal in the mountains, however, I think of that as an added bonus as I dont want to be in contact with the world when I am up there. I liked powertel plans better than voicestream as powertel had a month to month plan which I ma still on by the way. Their phones are very nice the selection tha tis I have the motorola timport. very durable as are all motorola phones.

Powertel did not change names they were bought by voicestream who is based in Florida but is a coast to coast provider. They have very good covrage along all major interstaes in the SE that I have been on.

I have not had to call customer service in three years. I call that great service.
Old 11-10-2001, 06:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keith, your plan sounds expensive, one of the big plans I guess. I'm going from not having a cell phone to needing one only occasionally so I'm interested only in a basic/regional plan. It seems that Cingular is the only one that works in the North GA mountains. I won't rule out Cingular, I'll visit one of their stores tomorrow if I have time.

AT&T is looking better all of the time since thier plans fit my needs and the best Motorola phone is really cheap for me. Coverage is probably adequate for my needs. Also, the free nationwide long distance works anywhere in my region not just in the local Atlanta area as with some of the other providers. Coverage may be spotty in the mountains but that may not be too bad. The guy said that his phone worked in Dahlonega and Helen.

Nextel is really cool with thier Direct Connect, it's used a bunch at work and is really handy. Thier new i90 phone is really cool too. Unfortunately coverage is pretty localized with them. It's a system that's more designed for business use than personal use. It's a good system for around town but once you get outside the city it's not reliable.

I'm still researching at this point, I'm in no hurry to get something so I'll keep shopping around.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:46 PM

Dave,
I have 3/4 of a MILLION frequent flyer miles w/ Delta and more than 1.5 M under my belt with all carriers.
What am I saying?
I TRAVEL!
Anyway, been with AT&T since the day they started. AdV about 2000 min a month. I talked ALL THE WAY on all of our drives.... Knox... Helen Big "D" when I am panning for gold.
It is as good as it gets. Other with problems must have phone problems because I have a rare day when I am dropped.

El'

PS - ZYMOL today for coat #5 and I am happy with the results.
No Zanio needed here but keep me posted.....
Old 11-12-2001, 04:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

General, thanks for the glowing endorsement for AT&T. That was my final pick also!

They are the only carrier giving ANYTHING to us Motorola folk. AT&T gives a 68% discount on the phone, 9% discount on service, and 15% more minutes. Also, I'll never use all of the night and weekend minutes that the basic regional plan offers. For me it's the best choice. I was going to call you and ask since you've had more "airtime" than Michael Jordan but you already posted what I needed to know. Thanks again for your help.