Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Wireless Phone Coverage

Old 11-09-2001, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to change phone often then go with VoiceStream.

any other questions just ask...
Old 11-09-2001, 07:58 AM

Do you guys have NEXTEL SERVICE IN GA?

Old 11-09-2001, 08:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We do have Nextel in GA. Most people that I talk to in Lawrenceville say that Nextel coverage is poor anytime your away from a major highway.

One thing about Nextel is that Direct Connect is used a lot here at work and I might be able to get a free phone. Also, considering I work for Motorola, Nextel is a major partner.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:32 AM

Nextel's service plans are expensive....design for people who use it alot. They have a new phone from Motorola the i90c.($200 with Activation.)

Here is their website

http://www.nextel.com

As for VoiceStream they run on Sim Cards...so if and when you want a new phone. Buy a new phone and swap the SIM CARD and all of your phone book information will be on the SIM CARD. It is easy as that. As for you old phone you could sell it to someone and they could buy a SIM CARD and Activate the phone.(SIM CARD cost around $30 plus $20 Activation charge.)

If you need more info. let me know.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2KDude. . .

I don't know how we are in Atlanta but because I receive monthly paychecks from them, I will have to say AT&T is the best!

Seriously, I could help you with a phone. . .a nice one!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:13 PM

Sprint sucks INCREDIBLY! The only thing worse than their phone service is their customer service!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your input so far. This is where I'm at:

Sprint - Cheap but service really sucks (so do thier phones)

Verizon - Phone is okay but other providers have cheaper plans right now
Cingular - Similar to Verizon, they only carry the cheapest Motorola phone

Nextel - Still looking for a free phone, amount of minutes are low and I've heard that their coverage is especially poor in many areas.

AT&T - They've got a $400 phone that I can get for $150, decent plan
Voice Stream - Also a good plan and a decent phone for $50.

So far it's between Voice Stream and AT&T. I know some say that AT&T has mediocore coverage, anyone got VoiceStream?
Old 11-09-2001, 06:34 PM
Banned

OK, I must stop this insanity before it goes farther...

My job used to be traveling to two cities a day fixing global networks. I have had a Bellsouth Mobility(now Cingular since the merger to buy all the remaining networks) phone for the past 6 years. Every time I go anywhere, GA, southeast, airports around the country, I get signal. All my ATT, Sprint pals are asking to borrow my phone. Nextel? Not. Gives out across the county line. Only good for the two way paging. Voicestream? You must be kidding. Smallest covereage area on the map. They had to change names because the service was so bad they were getting horrid writeups. Used to be Powertel, remember? Tiny company, tiny network. Only active in the metro area.

Cingular has all new top line equipment (at least the locations IN town) and brand new Nokias with much better range, features and clarity than the Motorolas. Make sure you dont go to a RESELLER of Cingular... go to a Cingular store.

Or don't...
Old 11-09-2001, 07:37 PM

Can't let Silver streak kill the thread.

I have sprint. They suck!
Positives:
I have never had a problem out of town, so if you travel to major cities, I can say that I have had good luck.

One other nice feature, is my wife and I share the minutes on the same plan. I do not use the phone often, so this was a big plus for me.

Negatives:
They suck!

Sometimes voicemail does not show up for hours.
Sometimes the phone never rings, caller shoved right into voice mail.

So, if you want sucky with a splash of convience, Sprint might be for you!
Old 11-10-2001, 05:01 AM

I ruled out Cingular because they're so damn expensive. They may have the best network but you pay dearly for it. Thier lowest real plan starts at $40 for basic service and things like caller ID, voice mail, etc. are all extra. Also, they don't carry any of the good Motorola phones, can't be caught with a Nokia if I work for Motorola .

Thanks everyone again for your input. If decent service is more per month than I'm willing to pay I can still opt to wait. Lived with out a cell phone this long...

Quick Reply: Wireless Phone Coverage