Track Day - Atlanta MotorSpeedway

Old 06-19-2002, 02:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dhoward
[B]Josh,

Deb can take you for a "SPIN" anyday
Old 06-19-2002, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very interesting, please pardon my beginner questions. I'm still trying to sum up a total cost for me to attend.

From what I've seen, a helmet will run me about $200-$400; what's recommended, open-face or full? (maybe I should search around the appropriate forum for the answers)...

Also, from those that have done this; should I drive my street tires (OEM S02), or get track tires? Can I pretty much expect to smoke a set of tires doing this event?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2002, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vjarnot,

I would recommend a closed face helmet. CMS has a few for rent ($40 per day) at the track. I can normally get two to three track days on a set of stock tires(S03's), but I am only getting 2 to 3 hours of track time (due to admin duties). My wife drove two solid days at Roebling and still had 50% tread wear left. It normally cost us $100 for tech inspections, $track fee, 1/3 cost of tires, hotel and food. Rotors and brake pads last 2 to 3 events also.

Vince
Old 06-24-2002, 08:42 PM

Hi dhoward!

I've just signed up for the Aug 18 event, and had some questions. This is my first track event in 6 years, so I consider myself a novice....

I have a 2002, with about 7000 "easy" street miles (not really driven hard). Is it still recommended to change the brake fluid before the event, or would I still be ok to run my first track event with the stock brake fluid, just making sure I do "cool down" laps after my time on the track?

I still have stock tires (S-02) with decent tread (approx 60-70%). I would estimate that by the time August rolls around, I would have around 40-50% tread left. Would it be recommended that I get new tires and wear them in before the event, or what would happen if I get to the event and have only 50% tread left (ie. would I not pass tech inspection?)

Thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 AM

puremagik,

I would recommend changing the brake fluid to a higher boiling point fluid anyway. The stock brake fluid is fine for street driving, but you will get the fluid so hot on the track that it will cause air bubbles and then you get the spongy pedal and serious brake fade(bad thing by the way). As for tires, AMS is not extremely hard on tires. 50-60% tread wear left will probably be fine, 40% your track day may be limited. The track temp, time on track, your driving style, will be factors in how long those tires last. I would also recommend having your oil changed right before the track event and then checking the fluid level while you are still at the dealer.. You may also want to bring some spare oil, S2K's can occasionally burn oil when kicking higher RPMs. We recommend after every run you check your fluids.. You also will want to check your brake pads for pad depth. Stock pads will wear pretty quickly, if there is 60% pad depth left, you should be fine.

Vincent
Old 07-03-2002, 11:35 AM

Does anyone know whether or not you will need an aftermarket roll-bar in order to particiapte in this event? I am extremely interested in participating, but have no desire to install an aftermarket roll-bar (I am 6'5\" and am limited on space as it is). I have no problems w/ installing the OEM hardtop ...I just wanted to know what the policy was on this w/ this organization -and- Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Also, the website for Chin MotorSports states that the novice/beginner group is full. I have tried to e-mail them to see how long the wait list is, or if there is even a wait list, but have not gotten a reply. Does anyone have any information on this, or a better way to contact Chin MotorSports. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-03-2002, 11:53 AM

I don't think that your will need a Competition rollbar for this event (But don't qoute me on it)
But at last event at Roebling, we were not required to do so. Have you checked the Gallery section here is the link for June 1 & 2 at Roebling
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/gallery/Roe...e%201%2C%202002
And they also had this event at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year! I didn't think they required back then either? See all the Miata and S2000 without the Extra rollbar?
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/gallery/Atl...12%2C%20%202001

I do know on some race track, decided by the track that you are required to have full SCCA approved rollbar! i know if you want to track on VIR (Virginia International Raceway) You'll need the aftermarket rollbar! VIR looks so good! I might just take my CRX (When is built, who knows when that will be?) to VIR!
Here is the link if your interested?
http://www.virclub.com/pages/track_info.htm

To contact Chin Motorsports? I think the best way is to email them.
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/contact/contact.asp
You can either write to Brian or Chin. They are both very helpful
Or just leave message to them on the phone! They'll get back to you after Work hours. Or Vincent might see this thread and help you out! (He's part of the Chin MotorSports)

Hope this all helps?
Old 07-03-2002, 12:49 PM

Sorry guys - been out of the office most of today..
You do not need a rollbar to participate in a CMS event. You will be required to sign a rollbar waiver. As for signing up for the AMS event - you need to register on line and register for the waiting novice group. There is already one person on the waiting list. We are waiting for our instructors to confirm their attendance at this event before we open up the last five novice slots. If you are on the waiting list, you will be the first to receive an open roster position. If you have problems on the site, please email me at vincent@howardcpas.com.

If you have more specific questions, you can call me at 407-323-0508.

Vincent
Old 07-09-2002, 03:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all signed up now and looking forward to seeing y'all on the track!

I ran at AMS about a year ago with Chin Motorsports and it was a lot of fun. The stock roll hoops are acceptable, and like Vincent said, you just need to sign a rollbar waiver. coquin - running with the hardtop will give you a little more speed but I think it's more fun running with the top down . The hardtop won't give any added rollover protection anyway without some type of substantive structure to support it.

Last year there was a really good turnout of Atlanta S2000 people that came by to just hang out and participate in the parade laps, so I hope to see you again.

Is Stephen Hess still around in his silver Boxster? I'd like to see if I've improved any since the last time we ran together and he left me in his dust!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:10 PM

Don't forget the social on August 17th at Sangrias. Please make sure to contact me if you are attending. Last year it became standing room only for the last 15 that showed up.

Vincent