Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Track Day - Atlanta MotorSpeedway

Old 06-12-2002, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day - Atlanta MotorSpeedway

There will be a track day for solo and novice drivers at Atlanta Motorspeedway on August 18, 2002. Please see www.chinmotorsports.com for more details. Novice drivers will get about 4.5 hours track time and 2 hours classroom sessions. They will have instructors IN CAR all day. Solo drivers will get about 5-6 hours track time on the high speed oval and infield. If you have never been to AMS, they have a wonderful pit facility and the track uses the highbank oval from turn 1 and 2.

Look forward to seeing the Atlanta S2K's there.

Vincent Howard
Old 06-18-2002, 04:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Will there be any Parade Laps? It's always for anyone to drive their own car on the track just for fun.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:35 AM

There will be two sessions of parade laps - one at 10:15-10:30 and the other at 3:15-3:30.
Anyone who is interested in driving the event needs to register early as the novice slots fill up fast.
The plans are to have dinner 08-17-02 at Sangria's Restaurant in Tucker. See www.sangrias.com for directions.

Also, we have a big gathering of NSX's and S2K's June 29-30 in Orlando. Mark Basch is our guest of honor and will be installing the new Basch Boost Superchargers in 8 NSX's. We have several activities planned for the weekend if anyone wants to make the trip down. See www.nsxflorida.com for details.

Vincent
Old 06-18-2002, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds really cool ... I'm a total novice; what would I need? Helmet, Nomex suit, 5-point harness, track tires, etc? Just trying to get an idea of the overall cost, since I don't own any of these items yet...

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:44 AM

vjarnot,

The only requirements we have is helmet (Snell 90 or greater and they are available at the track for rent), long sleeved shirts and pants and a desire to go fast/be smooth. Your car must be teched by a qualified mechanic prior to the event, see the website for tech forms. You will need to change the brake fluid to something like Motul 600, high boiling point brake fluid. Your tires and brake pads should have a least 60% wear left. All loose items, garage door openers, radar units, should be removed prior to the track event. An instructor will be assigned to you the day of the event and will be in your car giving real time assessments/instruction to aide your driving abilities. One of our FLorida S2K members, airsport, drove his first event at Sebring in May and has signed up for almost every event this year. Track driving is a blast! See www.chinmotorsports.com for more details on future track dates or email/pm me for more specifics.

vincent
Old 06-18-2002, 02:02 PM

vincent,
How steep is the banking on the Atlanta Motor Speedway? I have heard few S2000 motors got blown because of the starvation of oil on some high banking Oval tracks?? Has any previous S2000 drivers have any problem on AMS? I always check my oil before ecah run of DE events, but I just want to make sure the banking is not one of the problem for this issue.
I've signed up this August in the novice group again, since I've never run on this track before. I hope it's not any hotter than the one at Roebling?
Later!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:19 PM

Yup.. I'm going to this one too!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:39 PM

Mine was the S2000 that blew the engine at Atlanta Motorspeedway last August. The car had 6000 miles on it and had just been teched by a qualified mechanic. The blown engine was due to number 4 cylinder failure (engine weakness, see previous threads on problem), not due to the incline of the highbanks. If you were running constantly on the highbanks, I might be concerned. Your car is on the bank (17 degrees, I think) only for a few seconds between T1 and T2. You actually enter the highbank mid T1 and follow to T2 and onto the back straight.
As long as you have full oil, DO NOT TRUST YOUR DEALER WITH COMPUTERIZED OIL INPUT SYSTEMS, you should be fine. We recommend checking your oil after every session, no matter what car, no matter what track.
Other than my car, I do not know of another S2K that has had problems at AMS. Coraldoc ran there last year with a few others and no one had any problems.
See you in August - hopefully it won't be as hot as Roebling

Vincent
Old 06-18-2002, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping to make the drive up for another fun AMS outing. Track days are a blast and it would be great to see the Atlanta club members again.

I'm not concerned about the banking, just be smooth and safe - the speed will come .

So Deb, if I make it up I plan for you to take me for a ride! In your car, that is . O.K. Vince?
Old 06-18-2002, 03:25 PM

Josh,

Deb can take you for a "SPIN" anyday OH wait, I mean ride..

Vincent

Quick Reply: Track Day - Atlanta MotorSpeedway