Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Thinking of relocating to the ATL area..

Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of relocating to the ATL area..

Is there any advice you guys can give me? Possibly websites or local forums I can join to read and maybe ask a few questions i may have?

I will be coming from the boston, ma area and just wanted to see what ATL has to offer. I have been there once in my entire life, but loved my time there. Wife works at Comcast and I work at Raytheon (Missile and Defense company), and we also have another form of private income. Job relocation possibly for my wife as she likes to be a busy bee..

What can we expect from These areas? What areas should we look out for or be cautious about??

Thanks in advance.

-sonz
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Do you know exactly what part of Georgia you'll be moving to? Or what areas have you looked at? Personal opinion, I'd stay away from Gwinnett County, at least the Norcross, Lilburn, Duluth, and Lawrenceville areas. Parts of Gwinnett are better than others, primarily Buford, Suwanee, Sugar Hill

What kind of living environment are you looking for? Rural, urban/city, suburbs?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Yea I agree with the Gwinnett County...Wife used to live there and I couldn't stand being up there. Always paranoid bout car being stolen or broken into. If you want to be Relatively close but not in the city, the Kennesaw/Acworth/Roswell area isn't that bad in my opinion. I just wouldn't live on Barrett Parkway. Had my civic si, when i had it, broken into when i lived there. Really just depends on where you're jobs are gonna be and how far you're willing to drive.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Post up a few things you are looking for in the area that you live want to live in. Atlanta has a lot of different areas, and the suburbs have a lot of different things to offer. Do you have children or planning to have children? Do you like to be outdoors and want to have walking trails? What about taxes? Are you willing to pay higher taxes to live in a nicer area? How far from yours or your wifes office do you want to be and how long do want the commute to be? Do you need to have easy access to the airport? Those are just a few questions to ask yourself and then provide us with the answers. From those, we can begin to get an idea of the places we may be able to recommend.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpharetta! Forbes rated Alpharetta the no. 1 place to relocate.
Check it out!
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/07/relocate-...ng_slide_2.html
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM

If you like being out and enjoying the city life, then you'd love Buckhead, Midtown or maybe Vinings.

If you like the 'Burbs, then yeah, Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek.

Atlanta basically has everything you'd want except the ocean. The problem is that everything you want requires 1+ hour worth of fighting traffic to get to. It's a growing city because everyone enjoys it so much.

The best advice I could give you is:
1) rent for a while, to get to know the area and the traffic patterns.
2) buy a house / condo within 5 miles of where you work.

Seriously, we check the traffic more often that we check the weather here. Always hit the traffic websites before getting into a car. (It's not always that bad, but it's comparable to L.A.)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM

hey torque,
i agree with you that the traffic isnt that bad but the top 5 worst places for traffic in the US is the home for Atlanta. But really its not at all that bad. Plan accordingly and its all good.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GoOn3,Dec 21 2010, 11:08 PM
hey torque,
i agree with you that the traffic isnt that bad but the top 5 worst places for traffic in the US is the home for Atlanta. But really its not at all that bad. Plan accordingly and its all good.
Yep, learn the side streets and cut throughs and Atlanta traffic is not that bad.

Acworth/Marietta/Keensaw. Offers small town living but has everything you could possibly need in the way of shopping, dining, nightlife etc. My $.02
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM

I live in Rome (Wife is doing her residency at Floyd County Medical Center) and I've been surprised by the amount of traffic in kennesaw.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM

I've lived in Lawrenceville (Gwinnett County) for 12 years without any problems. I have many friends who live in Lawrenceville, Duluth, Lilburn and Norcross who have never been touched by crime. I have friends in Alpharetta, Roswell, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, etc. who have been victims of crime.

My point is that crime is everywhere. There is no area safe from it, there is no area where only crime lives. There are areas where crime may be more likely to occur than others, but that is in any city. Crime happens in gated communities with multi-million dollar homes and crime happens in the projects. Get over it.

My advice is to pick an area that meets your needs - proximity to work, home prices, quality of schools, etc.

You can also check out the local Atlanta S2000 owner's forum, S2Katlanta.com, as there are plenty of other folks there that can give you advice.

Quick Reply: Thinking of relocating to the ATL area..