Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Speeding Ticket

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket

Was on my way up for a weekend in Helen when I see the speed limit quick drop from 70 to 50.

At this point I am doing 75 with cruise control on and a semi about 2-3 car lengths behind me going down a hill.

I quickly realize I have 2 options, turn off cruise control and slow down slowly or slam the brakes and pray the semi doesn't kill us.

I choose to stay alive and am rewarded with a nice 25 over speeding ticket.

I wasn't trying to speed (thus the cruise control on), but not really sure what to do now.

I normally would just pay it, but it turns out Florida uses GA tickets against you and doesn't allow you to take any driving courses to remove the points. It will also probably end up raising my insurance considerably and cost me tons over the next few years.

Any experience with fighting tickets in GA? or Adel?

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 PM

That's a hefty ticket you got there, usually I go court for any ticket more then 14 over to ask for it to be reduced. However, in your case you're it's not exactly convenient to make that trip back up for that. I'd call the powers that be in the area in which you got your ticket and find out how much it is just to pay it. Then I'd call an attorney in that area and find out what they'd charge to represent you and stand in on your behalf in court. Then figure out which option is best for your situation. The attorney route is probably more expensive on the front end but maybe cheaper in the long run... Also another option is to go back up and ask for it to be reduced in person. But, don't forget that there's no guarantee that the speed will be reduced. In my personal experience it's been reduced everytime but one.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Who are you insured with? Some companies will let tickets slide.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Progressive. But the wife just got in an accident and we got a letter that said something like, this is your last free issue. So it sounds like this is going to cost us.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Sorry to hear!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Call an attorney local to where you got the ticket and have him go to court for you. They will drop the ticket every time with an attorney involved.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chirojdoc,Feb 26 2010, 07:27 PM
Call an attorney local to where you got the ticket and have him go to court for you. They will drop the ticket every time with an attorney involved.
sorry off topic but holy damn its been a long time since weve heard from you John!!

OP: an attourney will always help the situation.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Just a word from experience, cook county cops are notorious around here. My ex got a ticket up there, and the ticket was all wrong. Wrong car, wrong car description, even wrong speeds on the ticket! She tried fighting it in court, and the judge all but told her to shut up. My guess is you're going to have to bite this one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by coursevector,Feb 21 2010, 09:23 PM
Was on my way up for a weekend in Helen when I see the speed limit quick drop from 70 to 50.

At this point I am doing 75 with cruise control on and a semi about 2-3 car lengths behind me going down a hill.

I quickly realize I have 2 options, turn off cruise control and slow down slowly or slam the brakes and pray the semi doesn't kill us.

I choose to stay alive and am rewarded with a nice 25 over speeding ticket.

I wasn't trying to speed (thus the cruise control on), but not really sure what to do now.

I normally would just pay it, but it turns out Florida uses GA tickets against you and doesn't allow you to take any driving courses to remove the points. It will also probably end up raising my insurance considerably and cost me tons over the next few years.

Any experience with fighting tickets in GA? or Adel?

Any advice?

Thanks
you going to court for it? you should bring up the tuning fork test. make sure the codes match, stuff like that. fight it and i think you will get away with it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SpaS2K2005,Feb 26 2010, 10:24 PM
sorry off topic but holy damn its been a long time since weve heard from you John!!

OP: an attourney will always help the situation.
Yeah... been busy as hell. Opened up two new businesses in the past 7 months and working hard at getting them going. I've still got the S, but been driving around my new Genesis while it's cold. Hopefully I'll get back in the scene a little this summer.

Back on topic.... Judges in several areas are notorious for being dicks... which is another reason to get an attorney.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket