Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

S2000 Track Day: Carolina Motorsports Park

Old 07-05-2005, 10:40 AM
mts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jul 5 2005, 06:23 PM

BTW, Ate Super Blue and Ate Gold are the same thing- only different colors to aid in knowing when a compete flush has been achieved.
ATE is good stuff, but I hate the blue color. It seemed like every time I went to tech, the first words were "you need to change your fluid"......no, it's fresh, it's blue. Plus, when you try to switch back to a gold color it takes tons of it to completely flush the blue out of the system. 1 year and about 5 flushes later I was still getting a little bit of blue tint out of the lines last time I used it.

Mike
Old 07-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mts,Jul 5 2005, 10:40 AM
ATE is good stuff, but I hate the blue color. It seemed like every time I went to tech, the first words were "you need to change your fluid"......no, it's fresh, it's blue. Plus, when you try to switch back to a gold color it takes tons of it to completely flush the blue out of the system. 1 year and about 5 flushes later I was still getting a little bit of blue tint out of the lines last time I used it.

Mike
That's funny. I've said that same line to a few people that use the super blue. I imagine that it does get pretty annoying after a while. I just bought some brake lines off of another member and he's throwing in some super blue with them. Not sure if I want to use it, or go with a clear fluid so I can tell if it's burnt or just to avoid comments like that.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jul 5 2005, 10:23 AM
DOT 5 =
Did not know that. I haven't used anything but DOT4 so far. I just figured the bigger the number, the better it is (standard guy logic). Can you elaborate on the grades?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mts,Jul 5 2005, 09:38 AM
Joe,

Do you know what time the track opens/what time you plan on cars heading out on the track yet? You may have already posted this info and I skipped right past it.

Thanks,
Mike
Not sure. I PMed Dewain asking for details on drivers meet, open/close times, and other things. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know. I'm guessing it will be from 8am-5pm with no breaks other than morning meet and tech inspection. I'm sure things will get quite for lunch as well.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Cyclon36,Jul 5 2005, 05:07 PM] That's funny.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:17 PM

Just FYI, I found this on DOT5. yeah, definitely not good for our cars. Stick with a DOT4.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids are called polyglycol fluids for the principal compounds used in their manufacture. DOT 5 fluids are all silicone based because only silicone fluid can meet the DOT 5 specs. No vehicle manufacturer, however, recommends DOT 5 fluid for use in its brake systems. Although all three fluid grades are compatible, they don't really combine if mixed together in a system. Therefore, the best general rule is to use the fluid type recommended by the carmaker, and not to mix fluid types in a system.

CAUTION: Do not use silicone DOT 5 fluid in an antilock brake system. Operating efficiency will be reduced.

Silicone DOT 5 fluid has some other characteristics that you should beware of. Silicone fluid compresses slightly under pressure, which can cause a slightly spongy brake pedal feel. Silicone fluid also attracts air more than polyglycol fluid does, which makes brake bleeding harder. It also tends to vaporize slightly just below its boiling point; and it will aerate from prolonged vibration. All of these factors mean that DOT 5 silicone fluid should never be used in an antilock brake system.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 5 2005, 01:13 PM
Strange. I usually get, "Ahh, ATE fluid, eh." I have had no problems doing complete flushes between ATE blue and ATE gold (type 200). In either case a complete flush takes under a quart and works just fine for me on the track.
I think part of your response was inserted in your quote of me.

Anyway, there will be a parade lap and we might even walk the course before we begin. All novice or trackers with little or no track time will have to have a ride along instructor with them until they are cleared to run by themselves.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 AM
mts

[QUOTE=SC_Highlander,Jul 5 2005, 09:13 PM] I have had no problems doing complete flushes between ATE blue and ATE gold (type 200).
Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cyclon36,Jun 30 2005, 03:09 PM
Excellent. Updating the first post right now.

Ezop, Doctor T will send you a refund for your deposit.
Thanks for moving the spot for me. Hope everyone has a great time at the track.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 PM

If anyone is going to be swapping their brake pads at the track (or at the hotel the night before), let me know. I'd like to see what's involved firsthand.

In fact, if anyone will be doing anything mechanical, I may want to check it out. I'm trying to increase my mechanical know-how (which is basically zero).

Quick Reply: S2000 Track Day: Carolina Motorsports Park